Thread: Fake Marine

Forum Member

Angry Fake Marine

Man who faked service charged
    West Bend resident played taps at funerals, wore Marine uniform and medals
    By DAN BENSON
    dbenson@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: March 8, 2005
    A West Bend man who impersonated a decorated Marine Corps officer and sounded taps over dozens of veterans' graves has been charged in U.S. District Court in Milwaukee with wearing military decorations and medals without proper authorization.

Quotable
    I retired in 1976, and I hadn't chewed anybody's *** like that in 30 years. I didn't know I still had it in me.

- Jim Krudwig,
    West Bend veteran of the Marine Corps

Recent Coverage
    8/13/04: Semper lie: Veterans' groups fooled by man posing as Vietnam-era Marine

If convicted of the criminal charge, Michael W. Schuster, 52, could be fined up to $100,000 and sentenced to a year in federal prison.

Schuster was a fixture in local veterans circles and claimed to be a Marine decorated for service in Vietnam. Schuster, who claimed to have achieved the rank of major, was the featured speaker at last year's Memorial Day observance in West Bend.

Local veterans, though, said they were suspicious of Schuster's claims.

Jim Krudwig, a West Bend resident who served as a Marine Corps master gunnery sergeant in Vietnam, said he noticed that the medals and ribbons on the uniform worn by Schuster appeared to be out of place.

Krudwig went so far as to contact acquaintances in Marine counterintelligence and the FBI.

"He picked the wrong people to screw with," Krudwig said. "He even saluted like he was in the Air Force."

"My only interest was that the guy should be exposed so other people won't do it," Krudwig added.

Marine Corps officials in Washington told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Aug. 13, in response to the newspaper questioning Schuster's credentials, that he had never served in the Marines.

Schuster could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Filing of federal criminal charges in this type of case is somewhat unusual because such cases rarely cross federal prosecutors' desks.

"It's not brought to our attention that often," said Francis Schmitz, first assistant U.S. attorney in Milwaukee.

When cases are brought to prosecutors' attention, they look at the specific circumstances and decide whether to file charges.

"It's an affront to people who have worn the uniform," Schmitz added.

Awards he wore
    Krudwig described a confrontation he had with Schuster at a VFW gathering last summer where he presented Schuster with his suspicions.

"I retired in 1976, and I hadn't chewed anybody's *** like that in 30 years. I didn't know I still had it in me," Krudwig said.

Schuster's credentials came under scrutiny after he was interviewed by a local newspaper and a photograph that appeared with the story featured him wearing several decorations given only to high-ranking officers. Schuster would have been 19 when he first arrived in Vietnam in 1971, as he claimed.

Among the awards Schuster wore were the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, the nation's third-highest military award, and the Distinguished Service Medal, the fourth-highest, and the Silver Star, the fifth-highest. The medals also were not properly arranged on his uniform, veterans noted.

Schuster was allowed to speak at the Memorial Day gathering anyway because the suspicions remained unproven until August.

Schuster was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion and regularly sounded taps on a bugle at military funerals.

No proof of military service was required when Schuster joined the American Legion, organizers said last year.

Officials with the national VFW said Schuster became a lifetime member after paying a $200 fee.

He joined through a bulk mailing that went to households with military family members. It's not known how Schuster got on that list.

In his VFW application, Schuster signed a statement saying he served in Vietnam from 1971 to 1976, which the VFW considered sufficient proof of his military participation, officials said last year.

Schuster attended military funerals as part of an honor guard that traveled to cemeteries throughout southeast Wisconsin.

Schuster is scheduled to be arraigned in the Eastern District Court of Wisconsin in Milwaukee on March 25.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Forum Member

Scumbag. No respect for these losers and impersonators. Fine the snot out of him, send him to jail.

"It's an affront to people who have worn the uniform," Schmitz added.
    Damned skippy it is.

"He even saluted like he was in the Air Force."
    ROTFLMAO. I love it.

saying he served in Vietnam from 1971 to 1976,
    Hello? Last troops left Vietnam in 1975. Doesn't anyone know their history anymore?

Now it is time for a shameless plug for a book titled "Stolen Valor" about those scumbags impersonating veterans and claiming military service. Excellent read.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

what a Mutt...

Forum Member

Sort of thing has happaned since the Trojan War.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Shakespeare said it all:

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
    We would not die in that man's company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian:
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say, "Tomorrow is Saint Crispian":
    Then will strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say, "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap while any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

King Henry
    in William Shakespeare's
    King Henry the Fifth (1599)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaSharkie

Hello? Last troops left Vietnam in 1975. Doesn't anyone know their history anymore?

Amen brother, but that’s our lazy press, just write what people say; who cares if it’s a bunch of easily verifiable lies.

It’s amazing how many skells I’ve run into who love to impersonate uniform services (military, LEO and Fire/Rescue) and regale the uninformed with their tall tales of bravery. Most of the people that I know who were decorated for their service have to have to have it pulled out of them.

There are a couple of good web sites that expose these jerks.

http://www.nightscribe.com/Military/...nabe_seals.htm
    http://www.authentiseal.org/
    http://vikingphoenix.com/military/veterans/phonyvet.htm
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

Forum Member

Most of the people that I know who were decorated for their service have to have to have it pulled out of them.
    You're right, the vast majority of combat veterans are proud of their service to this great nation.

They will tell stories about the guys they served with, the guys that dies, but not necessarily about how they died. Don't talk a lot about the actual combat scenarios either.

I always have doubts when people flaunt combat actions or decorations. This was part of my reason for not liking John Kerry, he boasted of combat actions and decorations. It just tends make me skeptical of anyone, regardless of their background.

Forum Member

All depends on who the conversation is with. Veterans tell each other our stories in to the goriest of detail, and the funniest of narrow escape. But don't talk about it much at all with those have not been through it and can understand the context.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    All depends on who the conversation is with. Veterans tell each other our stories in to the goriest of detail, and the funniest of narrow escape. But don't talk about it much at all with those have not been through it and can understand the context.

It's the same with us in the emergency services. The funniest most bizarre stuff that we’ve experienced can only be shared with our brothers and sisters. People who aren’t in our field tend to find our humor “black” because they have never been in our shoes and I personally keep those to myself. On that note I’ve found that the biggest war story tellers are the guys that do the least and say the most. Be safe.
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

Forum Member

Originally posted by jensam433

It's the same with us in the emergency services. The funniest most bizarre stuff that we’ve experienced can only be shared with our brothers and sisters. People who aren’t in our field tend to find our humor “black” because they have never been in our shoes and I personally keep those to myself. On that note I’ve found that the biggest war story tellers are the guys that do the least and say the most. Be safe.
    I have found a combo, some of the craziest guys embelish when the story can stand alone on the fact, and other guys claim the exploits of the team as their's personally.

Well i am out of here.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

"Salutes like he's in the Air Force"

What the hell is that supposed to mean???

Mike

Forum Member

That means he waves like a little girl!!!

I ran into a mutt like this a couple of years ago in a bar, he was wearing a Camo cover, skivvie shirt(brown) and bdu's and jungles. When I asked him who he was with in the Corps, he looked at me like I was speaking Tagalog!! After chewing his a@@ I got him to admit he was never in the military, let alone the Corps. I let my Scottish temper flare and knocked the cover off his head and took it. He decided it would be better to leave quietly, as I wasn't the only Marine in the place..........
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

That means he waves like a little girl!!!
    That is funny. My brother in law was a Sgt in the Marine Corps reserve and changed to be an officer in the Air Force. I rag on him all the time about 1) being and officer, and 2) joining the Air Force. Even he says that he had more fun and was better off in teh Corps.

Forum Member

Hey, at least we HAVE girls in the Air Force. The only eye candy you have in the Marines is those cute little last names you have stenciled on the butts of all your clothes.

Mike

Forum Member

Ahhhh, memories........

(Cadence)

THEY SAY THAT IN THE MARINE CORPS,
    THE WOMEN ARE MIGHTY FINE,
    THEY LOOK LIKE PHYLIS DILLER, AND WALK LIKE FRANKENSTEIN!
    UA I WANNA GO, BUT THEY WON'T LET ME GO!
    WOA A WOA A WOA A WOA A OOO!!!

The Air Farce always had the prettiest girls, which ended up with my battery getting all Marines banned from the Banyan Tree Club on Kadena AFB in Oki!! We got in a little disagreement with the Air Farce guys over who could pick up on the cute AF females!!

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

Hey Wayne, where is South Haven at? I grew up in Indiana - just north of Lafeyette. Greetings from "cornfield county."

Forum Member

South-by GOD- Haven is on the South side of the City of Portage and north of Valparaiso. Porter County.

Forum Member

We got in a little disagreement with the Air Farce guys over who could pick up on the cute AF females
    Well, if you were an Air Force chick, would you want to date/marry a guy that looked like a bellhop? Why not have a guy with a sense of sophistication?

When I was in my schooling, the Air Force women were always dating us Marines. We had a running joke that as part of our check in policy, you had to go to the Air Force barracks to get you Air Force woman issued.

At this same school, the Air Force instructors pulled a surprise inspection on the barracks (they call them "dorms") and caught about a half-dozen Marines climbing and jumping out of the 2nd floor windows.

I will say that I have the utmost respect for 2 groups of men in the Air Force, Pararescue Jumpers (PJs), and Combat Controllers. Very disciplined, motivated, and hard core individuals in the Special Operations Command.

Forum Member

Back to the fake Marine, this is from Dec of 2003:

A 33-year-old Roseville man posed as a Marine, collected money for Toys for Tots and used the money to buy assault rifles, a handgun and ammunition, according to police.Police said they were tipped off because a real Marine became suspicious because details on the man's uniform were wrong. The man collected nearly $7,000 standing outside a Dave and Busters in Utica, police said. They believe he kept about $2,000 to buy weapons. He was caught when he tried to turn in about $4,800 to a local Marine Reserve post for its Toys for Tots program
    My unit caught this guy. He was wearing the uniform of a Master Gunnery Sergeant and parachute and scuba devices (the scuba was actually the Navy's Diver insignia), bronze stars, a Legion of Merit, etc. When asked what unit he was with, he stated he was Force Recon, it was classified , and a General had sent him to Michigan to run the Toys for Tots program. He was at numerous events with young PFCs and LCpls and got away with it-they thought something was wrong but didn't want to take a chance with a MGySgt. Finally a Gunny-not me-saw him and asked a bunch of questions. The Gunny was a Detroit cop, so he turned him into the local cops and set up the bust. When arrested, he had an AK and an SKS in his truck, thousands of rounds of ammo, body armor, AND A LIST OF THE MARINES HE MET AT EVENTS THAT HE DIDN'T LIKE OR TRUST. Turns out, the guy had enlisted in the Corps at 19 and been dishonorably discharged within 6 months. Once arrested, he was also charged for other outstanding warrants.

Forum Member

DaSharkie,
    You weren't at Goddfellow were you? I haven't been there, but all my Marines talk about it like it was a "target rich environment" with all the Air Force girls. They say it was more like a college dorm than a military base.

I got offered a position in the ANG a few years ago, would have kept my rank and gotten a lot more funding for travel, training and equipment than the Corps gives my unit. I just couldn't tolerate the thought of looking like a glorified Bus Driver-no offense to the bus drivers

Forum Member

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    At this same school, the Air Force instructors pulled a surprise inspection on the barracks (they call them "dorms") and caught about a half-dozen Marines climbing and jumping out of the 2nd floor windows.
    ROTFLMAO

that's great. well, I guess it's a plus, that one arm of the military is getting real close with another branch
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ah yes...the Air Force...and officers...

Speaking of the Air Force...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

Originally posted by gunnyv
    DaSharkie,
    You weren't at Goddfellow were you? I haven't been there, but all my Marines talk about it like it was a "target rich environment" with all the Air Force girls. They say it was more like a college dorm than a military base.

I got offered a position in the ANG a few years ago, would have kept my rank and gotten a lot more funding for travel, training and equipment than the Corps gives my unit. I just couldn't tolerate the thought of looking like a glorified Bus Driver-no offense to the bus drivers
    No guns, I was at the former Ft. Devens, MA, where the above mentioned incidents occurred. I als finished my MOS schools at NTTC Corry Station in Pensacola, FL (Most beautiful beaches on Earth I might add.) Our barracks there were directly connected to the AF "dorms" and many a Marine, including myself, dated an Air Force girl. Something about the Air Force always getting the good looking ones.

When I was stationed at K-Bay, HI we would always go over to Hickam AFB and eat well at their chow hall - all you could eat, cake, ice cream, large screen TVs. They even cleaned up after you as you were expected to leave your tray on the table after you were done.

The flyboys got extra money 'cuz the chow hall was condsidered "substandard" and if you were an E-3 they gave you BAQ pay if you had to share your room with anyone else. I was a Corporal and had a LCpl and PFC as room mates.

Ladder 8....Excellent brother. I'll have to send that to my brother in law. He's a Captain, but a fairly new one and he can still relate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can't forget the Army...

CPT Wedley - Battalion Disciplinator!

http://xlforum.net/misc/cpt_wedley.wmv

(ouch!)
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Default YES it was

I was class #2 of Marines at Good fellow in 1995 and I can attest that yes it is a target rich environment I have a few “RED ROPES” notched in the old get busy belt myself. I learned a lot at Good Fellow. The most memorable was an up close and personal with the Term loosely used as getting your bore punched.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Thread Information