Forum Member

Originally posted by Kobersteen
    Perhaps one of the PG County, Maryland boys or girls could help out on my point. It is on a smaller scale, but hasn't PG 'removed' the paid personnel from stations before? I could be wrong, but I believe I heard it trumpeted about before.
    that would be correct. I believe Kentland used to have paid personnel, but now they are 100% volunteer (and very proud of it). and technically, they didn't go from paid to volunteer, PGFD just reassigned the personnel to a different station to increase effectiveness.

but I don't think that is the situation that is being discussed. I believe he meant a 100% paid department that became 100% volunteer. I don't think it has ever been done.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Originally posted by DrParasite
    that would be correct. I believe Kentland used to have paid personnel, but now they are 100% volunteer (and very proud of it). and technically, they didn't go from paid to volunteer, PGFD just reassigned the personnel to a different station to increase effectiveness.

but I don't think that is the situation that is being discussed. I believe he meant a 100% paid department that became 100% volunteer. I don't think it has ever been done.
    I agree, there is another PG station that went from vol. to combination and now back to volunteer.. sorry I can't remember which one, but I know I'm not talking about 33. I'll try and find out which on it was... or maybe hwoods can inform us all.

Default thank you

thanks to all of you who replied. as i stated previously, i am conducting research in order write a paper. i am not on either side, i am simply attempting to tackle a controverted issue in a well-informed, educated manner. regardless of your career or volunteer status, i would like to thank all of you for your bravery, professionalism and continued sacrifices. good luck and God bless...

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Hmmmm. Probably about one in eight posts will have something usefull to say, that may help and stay on topic. Didn't seem to me that he was looking for a volunteer vs. career argument, cost a cost/benefit comparison. Certainly a very fair question.

Don't let the nit-wits who can't can't past the question distrct you from the posts that have something constructive to say.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Firepimp, my involvement as a volly is anything but a hobby, as for my level of training, I will stack my credentials against any career department. Don't get me wrong I have the utmost of respect for any career fire fighter as well as any volly out there. What I don't respect is a department that does not put training their members on the top of their priority list. Its a lack of training that kills good people.
    As for transitions from one to the other we recently went from a volly to a composite department, took on 14 firemedics that man the ambulances and are fully trained firefighters. I would be lieing if I said it was smooth sailing, we have had a few glitches but when you have everyone involved in the decision process that is for the good of the department, it will work. We have encouraged members that if they have a problem to come forward and get it out in the open, with no hidden agendas, things get ironed out before the become a crisis.It may sound simplistic, but if everyone respects each others opinion,we find that we each have the democratic right to be wrong, and not be punished for it.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Someone Call My Name?.................

Ahhh... Prince Georges County. Yes, Prince Georges has some Volunteer Departments that once had Career members assigned, but lost them. Nobody threw anyone out. In each case where the career Crew was moved, it was at the direction of Management, when they needed to get the best utilization out of the amount of people available at the time. There are/were places where Station locations allowed this, because response times wouldn't be greatly affected, if one station didn't respond due to a lack of crew. At one point, Every Station in P.G. had at least 2 Career people on Daywork, with some stations having as many as 6. Some had Shift work as well. Today, there are Stations that have no Career people at all: Kentland (33) Ritchie (37) Bladensburg (9) Branchville (11) Additionally, Cottage City (2), Mt. Ranier (3), Brentwood (4) have combined in one station, Co 55, Bunker Hill. Co 2 and 4 had lost their Career crews as well, but Co 3's crew remain. There are still quite a few stations with "Daywork" crews, where Volunteers handle nights and weekends. Volunteers also fill 5 of 7 Battalion Chiefs slots as well on nights and weekends.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Yes.. Bladensburg.. that's it!
    In April of 2004 the members of Bladensburg decided to make an offer to the county to have the career personnel removed. This was a cooperative effort between both PGFD and our leadeship, in order to help the county eleviate some of the staffing/overtime (budget) issues. Since November 1st the company has been 100% Volunteer, relying solely on the Volunteer members of Company 9. It has proven to be even more of a help than anticipated, with members staffing 2 and sometimes 3 crews, with an ambulance in service, therefore out doing our original expectations.
    http://www.bv9fd.com/

Thread Information