Thread: ...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ...

I started hanging out at the inner City Fire Station near where I grew up in 1980, I stayed on as the 'Boy' and eventually joined as a Fireman 18 years ago when I turned 18. After my Probation I transferred to that Fire Station in 1989 and every time I got promoted I ended up back there finally taking the Station Commander role in 2003.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool DOH!!!!

OK...So I must have hit 'Post New Topic' instead of 'Post Reply' to the thread about "How Many years in the Fire Service"

But whatever...I am here now, anyone wanna join me? ...it's samll but cosy!!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Default Move over..

How busy is your FD? I was watching something about the London Ambulance Service and their bike Medics.. they said the LAS responds to about 2500 calls a day! Was wondering if the FD is as busy?

MembersZone Subscriber

...I am here now, anyone wanna join me? ...it's samll but cosy!!
    ok.

I'd like to learn more about the LFB!!!

Forum Member

Steve, are you new here?!?!?!?
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh man, the first "." thread went 12 pages.

A "..." thread will go at least 36!
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

.... -- -- -- --..-- / -- .- -.-- -... . / .-- . / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / ..- ... . / - .... .. ... / - --- / -- .- -.- . / ... . -.-. .-. . - / -- . ... ... .- --. . ... / .. -. ... ..- .-.. - .. -. --. / - .... . / .-- . -... / - . .- -- / .- -. -.. / - .... . -.-- .-.. .-.. / -. . ...- . .-. / -.- -. --- .-- / .--- ..- ... - / -.- .. -.. -.. .. -. --. / -- .-. / .. .- -. -. --- -. .
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Talking

HEY .............why is Steve trying to mooch off Harve's thread ?>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Talking

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    .... -- -- -- --..-- / -- .- -.-- -... . / .-- . / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / ..- ... . / - .... .. ... / - --- / -- .- -.- . / ... . -.-. .-. . - / -- . ... ... .- --. . ... / .. -. ... ..- .-.. - .. -. --. / - .... . / .-- . -... / - . .- -- / .- -. -.. / - .... . -.-- .-.. .-.. / -. . ...- . .-. / -.- -. --- .-- / .--- ..- ... - / -.- .. -.. -.. .. -. --. / -- .-. / .. .- -. -. --- -. .
    Translation: I am stuck in the office at the Worcester Telegram and Gazette, will someone please go to my house and let the dogs out to pee!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

worcester gazette, bad news paper... very very bad.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

District Chief

Those darn brits....you got to watch em constantly to keep em from posting in the bloody wrong place!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Those darn brits....you got to watch em constantly to keep em from posting in the bloody wrong place!
    Now look at the trouble I just caused....Anyone else coming in, I can squeeze a few more I expect...Breathe in!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Default i want in

anymore room in here for me??
    *~Fareen the Green Queen~*

live life to the fullest cuz u dont know whats gonna happen tomorrow

"Thanks for the joy you've given me
    I want you to know I believe in your song
    And rhythm, and rhyme, and harmony
    You helped me along, you're makin' me strong...Give me the beat boys and free my soul
    I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and DRIFT AWAY" Uncle Kracker/Dobie Gray

greensfflame27@yahoo.com
    AIM SN: greensfflame27

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Move over..

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    How busy is your FD? I was watching something about the London Ambulance Service and their bike Medics.. they said the LAS responds to about 2500 calls a day! Was wondering if the FD is as busy?
    No we are not as busy as The Ambulance...The UK Health Service overall is free and therefore open to abuse...London being a City of 8,000,000 obviously gets its share of abusers. Add this to all of the illness, injuries, attacks, violent crime and LAS are just about the busiest Ambulance service in the World I am led to believe. I don't know how old that programme was but LAS did 1.5M responses last year...about 4,000 calls per day!!!

Fortunately, we do no Medical responding at all so our calls are about 300,000 every year, divided by our 112 Stations. Some Stations in the suburbs are very quiet with 900-1000 runs per year, that gradually increases in number with Stations running 1-2000 calls in the busier suburbs. Approximately one third of the Stations, and a 'typical' inner London Stations respond to around 3000 calls per year. Then there are those 15 or so Stations in the real ghettos that are out of the door between 5-6000 times per year. One Station, Soho in London's west end tips out around 8000 times each year, but 1000's of them are automatic alarms. There actual fire rate is around 400 compared to an inner city Station where about on third (1000) of the calls are fires (about 700 secondary fires vs 300 structures).

Overall in 2003 London had 58,000 fires from its 300,000 calls with 28,0000 of those being 'Primary' (structure/insurable property) fires.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 03-11-2005 at 03:57 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

Eleven....I just did a head count and there are eleven of us in here. If we push into the corners a little more then a few more can get in...

Is that a queue I see forming outside? I hope no one gets claustraphobic!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by SteveDude

Is that a queue I see forming outside?

A Federal Queue? That would be a british siren, right?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Move over Steve, make some room at the bar. And dont forget there are a couple of really quiet stations, Wennington and Biggin Hill.

As for the LAS, I dont know if they still do but at one time they would vet all the calls and people with things like headaches and cut fingers would very politely be told that an ambulance would not be coming, wish we could do the same!!!

Still room for a few more.

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Move over..

Originally posted by SteveDude

No we are not as busy as The Ambulance...The UK Health Service overall is free and therefore open to abuse...London being a City of 8,000,000 obviously gets its share of abusers. Add this to all of the illness, injuries, attacks, violent crime and LAS are just about the busiest Ambulance service in the World I am led to believe. I don't know how old that programme was but LAS did 1.5M responses last year...about 4,000 calls per day!!!

Fortunately, we do no Medical responding at all so our calls are about 300,000 every year, divided by our 112 Stations. Some Stations in the suburbs are very quiet with 900-1000 runs per year, that gradually increases in number with Stations running 1-2000 calls in the busier suburbs. Approximately one third of the Stations, and a 'typical' inner London Stations respond to around 3000 calls per year. Then there are those 15 or so Stations in the real ghettos that are out of the door between 5-6000 times per year. One Station, Soho in London's west end tips out around 8000 times each year, but 1000's of them are automatic alarms. There actual fire rate is around 400 compared to an inner city Station where about on third (1000) of the calls are fires (about 700 secondary fires vs 300 structures).

Overall in 2003 London had 58,000 fires from its 300,000 calls with 28,0000 of those being 'Primary' (structure/insurable property) fires.

Hope this helps.
    Yea.. I figured that it'd prolly be out of date information.. that is why I wanted to turn to a reliable source. Sure would be nice if we could only run Fire calls.. I know some departments that do that, but still, many run both Fire/EMS. Another thing was that those guys literally go "racing" to the call.. it said they'll sometimes go 60mph+. Considering that is in areas that aren't packed w/ all the traffic, but still, that defidently 15mph+ over the posted speed limit! I know at our FD, and I assume most, going 15mph+ over the posted speed limit during emergency traffic wouldn't be too acceptable. Not saying it doesn't happen though!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by protomkv
    Move over Steve, make some room at the bar. And dont forget there are a couple of really quiet stations, Wennington and Biggin Hill.

As for the LAS, I dont know if they still do but at one time they would vet all the calls and people with things like headaches and cut fingers would very politely be told that an ambulance would not be coming, wish we could do the same!!!

Still room for a few more.
    Proto...
    Biggin Hill is still quiet, Wennington is strange...they are quiet compared to nearby Stations like Dagenham, but they still have a lot of RTA's and a good dozen or so decent sized Make ups (Multi-Alarmers) every year in the Warehouses by the river... a long way from the rest of Civilisation. I had an 8 Pump job down there just a few weeks ago. Also, since you left, Rainham has gone down hill and there are a couple of Housing Estates that provide a bit of work for them now.

Surprisingly, places that used to be really busy are a lot quieter...Clapham, Shoreditch, Kingsland, Hammersmith...these areas have become real 'Yuppy' areas and all of the old derelicts have been turned into modern Apartments Buildings and Town Houses. The work has moved out a little more from the centre.

Ooohhh it s getting tighter, someone pass my drink please!!!
    Last edited by SteveDude; 03-11-2005 at 11:10 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Got room at the bar for a tiny little dispatcher? I promise I won't bring my bagpipes, there'll be time for the wailing and gnashing of teeth later in the evening!!

Steve, I'll bet you're glad you don't have to run calls with LAS. I was an ambulance dispatcher before I started with fire, and it seems that everywhere across the globe, ambulance crews run their little a**es off every shift!!

Take care

Pat
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Pat,
    If/when they get their way we will be running on medical calls. They want to run a Co-Responder trial in Tower Hamlets...The Busiest Borough in London for Fire/Crime/Medical calls. It has a very diverse poor community with all sorts of issues.

If they get us responding here then it will open the flood gates for the rest of London then as always the remainder of the UK. Noone as any problems in principal with this...but Medical runs with 4 days training??? Let them train us to EMS then it may be acceptable. And take us off of all the other crap duties we do....

I see a spot right up the front for you...and what the heck, bring the bagpipes as well!!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

District Chief

Just how many firefighters can we get into a thread?
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Originally posted by captstanm1
    Just how many firefighters can we get into a thread?
    Good question Cap. Wonder if NFPA has a standard for it
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

All I know is that I was here way back when there were like four of us, but I get up to see a man about a dog, and when I get out, the place is packed.

And worst of all, some jackass stole my seat at the bar! If I don't get another Guinness soon, I'm gonna start a fight in here.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

District Chief

I am so confused...who's dog was it and why was it at a bar?
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information