Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Forgive my Ignorance, but...

I was wondering, when are you to old to get in to this field??

I am no spring chicken, and am planning on moving to San diego on oct, getting my paramedic cert, and going through some Fire academy, any and all suggestions will be taken to heart

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

There are quite a few guys getting hired in thier early thirties. Forty starts to get tough as they won't get a full career out of you. I think 35 is about the practical cut-off for career FF'ing.

EMT's in POC and Part-Time settings don't seem to have an age limit though.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

We just hired 2 late 30's people. Both are in good shape and will be great members of our Dept.
    Stay Low, Stay Safe

"Probie, It's never too early to shut up"

These are my opinions only, not my wife's, not my dog's, not my associate's or my employer's. Mine.

So at 32 in June i should do academy then Paramedic??

Sounds like you got a plan to me!
    Stay Low, Stay Safe

"Probie, It's never too early to shut up"

These are my opinions only, not my wife's, not my dog's, not my associate's or my employer's. Mine.

Forum Member

A buddy of mine got hired at 52. I know another guy who was 45.

Age has nothing to do with it- it's all attitude and fitness (and I know a truck captian who's pushing 70, and has better attitude and fitness than most 20-something recruits I've seen).

I say go for it.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Oneida
    So at 32 in June i should do academy then Paramedic??
    Depends on your area. Here, some departments will hire paramedics who havent been to fire school. The department will hire and then send them. And with the national paramedic shortage, I think it would be easier to find a medic job, then go to fire school. At least that way you can have a paycheck while your going to fire school.

And no, 32 is not "too old"
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

I did the very same thing at 37. No reason a young whipper-snapper like yourself can't do it at 32.

I'll second the recommendation that you get your medic first, then start applying for fire school/jobs. Departments have a really hard time finding qualified medics, so you'll be in greater demand.

Plus, you can earn a decent living as a medic while waiting for a fire department to realize you're the person they want for the job.

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

There was a guy in our academy who was 65 , he only took firefighter 1 so he could be a vollunteer , but he put us young kids to shame guy could out run us anyday of the week , and just was older and wiser was really cool to see someon elike that.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

This is certainly an interesting thread. Let me ask this from my own perspective...

I'm 27 (nearly 28), and very interested in becoming a firefighter. My dad was a volunteer for a number of years (rural station) so I was exposed to all of that stuff at an early age, and have wanted to do this for several years now. However in the meantime I chose to pursue a career in information technology... Let's just say, that isn't fun like it used to be.

How does someone like myself begin to get involved, with the intention of eventually getting hired on as a career FF, while still maintaining my 8-5 corporate job in the meantime?

I've certainly learned a ton just lurking on here, all but how to take that first step. I'm considering volunteering at a very small station close to my house (2 engines, 1 sq mile area, 200+ calls/year). Not much activity there but it's one of the only volunteer stations around that I can find, where I'd be able to respond in a timely fashion. If nothing else, it's experience, right?

What else? Do training programs function in a way to allow participants to maintain their employment while they learn, or is this an all or nothing deal?

About the only thing preventing me from just jumping in 100% right now is financial, several layoffs from DotCom failures have left a bad corporate taste in my mouth and a lot of bad debt I'm recovering from. I think I'd be best to volunteer for a little while, get some kind of entry level training (is this the FF1 course, or ?) and EMT-B, and go from there, but certainly welcome input from anyone here. This (firefighting) is what I want to do, I guess it's what I've always wanted to do, I just haven't actively pursued it until now for some stupid reason. I just want to find a way to get into it while still doing what I have to elsewhere.

Comments, etc welcome. Thanks!

Our Dept. Has hired a few in the mid 40's in the past 10 years. I was 30 when I got hired 8 years ago and the group I went through training with averaged 30 years old. We had a mix from early 20's to one guy who was 45. The 45 year old was in amazing shape though. What I always tell people is give it a shot, not going to know if you can do it if you don't try. We are a full time careerr Dept. and have been hiring pretty agressivly over the past 5 years. We have aprox 700 paid positions.

Forum Member

Oneida,

Early 30's shouldn't be a problem, there are agencies with a maximum entry age but not many in California, the only two I am aware of are Federal agencies (Department of Defence, US Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management etc) which have a cut off of 37, and CA Dept of Forestry which cuts off hiring at mid to late 40's (49 is what pops out but I'm not positive). The San Diego area has quite a few volunteer departments around which you might want to look into as well.

rforsythe,

I wouldn't worry about the call volume at the local VFD too much it should provide a good training opportunity, it is amazing how helpful it is to have access to the equipment and people who know how to use it. They also will probably be able to point you towards other training, it is not that unusual to find night or weekend training classes for working people, particularly in areas with many volunteers.

Most college fire science programs offer night classes, I'd suggest you go sign up for an intro to fire class, most of these will provide lots of information on the various paths you can take to get your training and how to start getting ready to apply for jobs. From there you can better make plans on how to follow up for your local area.

MembersZone Subscriber

NonSurfin, thanks for the info! I will check it out...

Thread Information