Default Initiation trials?

I've read about juniors/explorers going through an initiation trial. What I've read so far ranges from drinking hot sauce to swimming, in below zero temps, in a drop tank. I have no idea what a drop tank is but below zero temps rings a bell. I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind describing what you had to do through your initiation trial. I'd like to get an idea as to what's coming for me.

Permanently Removed

Talking

hey man umm i don't really know remember if i got an initiation because i've been with this department since 1996 so yea, long time. But they'll pick on you for a bit,crack a few jokes here & there but remember, they're just playing around with you, don't take it seriosuly just laugh and go long with it, sooner or later you'llget one of themn without noticing.

Heh, jokes aren't a big deal. Drinking hot sauce sounds fun. Swimming in the cold...ehh, I can learn. I just wanted to hear some funny stories.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey man umm i don't really know remember if i got an initiation because i've been with this department since 1996 so yea, long time.
    Since 1996, wow a grizzled Veteran!
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

Originally posted by AsstEngineer292
    hey man umm i don't really know remember if i got an initiation because i've been with this department since 1996 so yea, long time.
    how are you a junior firefighter if you have been with the department since 1996? did you start when you were 10 years old? am I the only one confused by this?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Question Somebody say confused?

am I the only one confused by this?
    That one perplexed me also. Also, what is your position? Captain? Engineer? Driver? Hose humper? I'm confused!?
    But as for the topic.. I wouldn't expect too much. But remember this.. it's not always good thing if they're not making fun of you. It's always funny to see other rookies (or in your case jr.) who can't take the jokes, and get mad. Personally, that only fuels the fire and makes me wanna joke more.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was wondering the same thing DrParasite, I mean my dad used to take me to his duty shifts with him when I was like 8, so does that mean I can say I have 21 years in?
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Fellas...fellas. I just wanted to hear some funny stories. AsstEngineer292 has been going on calls with his dad since he was young, like you TillerMan. Let's not bicker.

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    But remember this.. it's not always good thing if they're not making fun of you. It's always funny to see other rookies (or in your case jr.) who can't take the jokes, and get mad. Personally, that only fuels the fire and makes me wanna joke more.
    I can take a joke. A joke is just that, a joke. It's meant to make others laugh...and I seriously doubt that they would be cracking on me to hurt my feelings. It's all in good fun the way I see it.

Any more stories?

Permanently Removed

^^ reply to

how are you a junior firefighter if you have been with the department since 1996? did you start when you were 10 years old? am I the only one confused by this?

No no haha. I've been around i mean, i've been helping around, cleaning the rigs and stuff since 1995, i joined in 2003 I should've added that. Sorry for the confusion.

As for my rank titles
    I captian the Jr.Firefighters in my station as well as the Explorers at my station.

I'm the Assistant Engineer for our new engine 2923.
    and i didn't go ON the calls i went with him to the station helped them get the truck ready so i've got 10 years and counting being involved with Station 292

Hope that cleared the other confusion
    Last edited by AsstEngineer292; 03-11-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Forum Member

Ok, I get what you're saying above. You've hung out at a fire department since 1996, but you've only been a Jr. for 2 years. I'm still confused about this part...
    Jr.Firefighter Captain/Asst.Engineer
    ..does that make you a Captain? An Engineer? Never heard Asst. Engineer.. only relief driver.. What would be the point of having an Asst. Engineer in the Jr.s? Just wondering.. we never had these fancy titles when I was an Explorer/Jr. (whatever ya'll call it..).

Permanently Removed

Well 1st all, as Assistant Engineer.

I do weekly checks on the truck like:lights,sirens,other warning devices,oil,fuel,appearance,radio checks,foam tnak,water tank level and i've studied the 300+ page on engineering the truck from top to bottom to inside to outside and my father is the Head Engineer so he supervises me as I check things on 2923

AND I'm the junior firefighter captain.

And as a Junior Firefighter Captain this is what I do: If I arrive at the station and there are 2 juniors and 2 explorers, their SOGs state only 1 junior and 1 explorer per truck so we have room for certifieds, and if there are 5 certs. INCLUDING the driver, even if the explorer was there 1st, the junior can "Bump" him off because he/she is older and is more useful on the scene. To add on that, I decide who will ride the truck, so every month or so i change the engine assignments around like have a explorer and 1 junior ride 2923 for a month to get used to the tools and equipment and swhat the truck is primarily used for, and ill change those 2 to 2924 and so on and so forth.

But I have to thepower to "Bump off" ANY junior or explorer because i have more experience,time,dedication and qualifications soI was voted in by the company to head up the junior and explorer positions and i have 1 lt. in each division so they get a chance to get some time in. So if you have any more quesitons or comments, tlak to me on AOL Instant Messenger at Haveyougonemad29.

Forum Member

Sounds like youre an over-glorified Junior.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Permanently Removed

Well if your meaning i get it all and no one else your wrong, if you don't mean that than ok.

well i was dumped in the porta tank after my first fire and they took and put newspaper in my bunker boots, but that was a joke they made a false call just to my pager and i jumped in the boots and almost fell over because they had me in such a rush. it was just a joke becase i was always the first to the firehall i live only a few blocks away and the kicker was the chief set it up. thats my story and thats just one of many.

Dude...if that is anything I can expect then being a junior will definetly be followed by LOTS of laughs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you say HAZING. It's all fun and games until somebody gets ******#@ off and decides to sue the F.D. and all involved both in a criminal (jail sentence) and civil ($$$$$$) case. It sucks to have to think about this type of stuff but in todays world it is a real possibility. Now don't get me wrong, I did my share of joking around, just be careful and hope nobody gets mad.

Has that ever happened before? Any links to news reports?

MembersZone Subscriber

It happens all the time.

Here's a recent hazing story involving a 15 y/o volunteer

Here's another story about the same incident

Here's a Fire Chief magazine story

Here's a FH.com thread about an incident in Florida

Here's a FH.com story about an North Carolina incident

I could go on all day, but I think you get the point. A swim in the dump tank? Maybe OK, maybe not. Drink hot sauce? That's gonna be hazing in anybody's book.

Forum Member

Default Low Down

Originally posted by CruzJosh
    Has that ever happened before? Any links to news reports?
    Oh man, do a simple Google search or search on FH.com and you'll find several hazing incidents... but just keep in mind, that these are isolated incidents, in which members decide to take "initiation" too far. There is a line to be drawn... and I would agree, a swim in a drop tank (in the spring/summer) OK, but in freezing temps. or being made to drink the hot sauce... you better believe that's a form of hazing. If I was you, I wouldn't expect anything other than being the subject of the jokes, getting the sh*t chores, and the possible bucket of water.. If your department has any sense than they won't mess with any of your gear, as your life depends on how well that gear protects you. We have a rule (and I know most departments do..) joking and practical jokes are accepted, however all jokes stop at the sound of the bell.. and no one can touch another person's gear. You never know when you're going to get a call, so messing with someone's gear is not acceptable.

**You might want to go into the Firefighters Forum and look for the "Favorite Station Practical Jokes" thread. Read that and you'll get a good idea of what might be coming... most of those are posted by fellow firefighters who also will agree that anything dealing with your gear is off limits.. however, there are a few exceptions, but need I stress the word "few."**

Good luck man.. you'll be alright. You have the right attitude and if you read that Station Jokes thread you'll get a good idea of what goes on around the station.

Here's the link to that thread... http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...s&pagenumber=1
    Also, do a simple search of these forums for "station pranks" or "practical jokes" you'll find a lot more about what takes place and also other hazing incidents.

**Edited cause I did your dirty work!**
    Last edited by FTMPTB15; 03-15-2005 at 11:33 AM.

Forum Member

I'm a big boy, and I can defend myself. I went for the swim willingly. If I would have said no, they would have cut it out.

It was all in fun and games, and nobody got hurt. If I wouldn't have had the ability to go to rehab right away, and get in something dry, it wouldn't have happened.

Best part was getting to pull the culprits in with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

As Res343cue said, I'm a big guy, I can handle the jokes. Drinking hot sauce sounds fun, as a matter of fact I've done it before. I only have one question which has been bugging me since the first time someone say droptank.

What the heck is a droptank???

Forum Member

It's basically like a large portable above ground swimming pool. It is used a water source in areas that don't have many hydrants. Basically, a tanker will empty all of it's water into a drop tank, and the engine will use the water out of the drop tank (like it is a hydrant..). Kinda self-explantory.. but the tanker will go to the nearest water point, be it a hydrant down the road, a pond, etc. and refill with water and come back and refill the drop tank. That's "tanker shuttle" in a very very brief nutshell!
    Here's a decent picture..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    That's "tanker shuttle" in a very very brief nutshell!

now its technically a "Tender Shuttle" since tanker is now supposed to refer to an airplane that drops water/fire supressing agent.

MembersZone Subscriber

What the heck is a droptank???
    Must be a city boy!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Maverick9110E

now its technically a "Tender Shuttle" since tanker is now supposed to refer to an airplane that drops water/fire supressing agent.
    Unless I missed some memo around here.. (highly likely!), we're still calling them tankers...

Thread Information