Forum Member

Default Another Fire Engine Accident

Please slow down at intersections. Review your driving policies and practices. A 28 yr old mother and her 11 mos old baby were killed in an accident with a fire engine from Grand Traverse Michigan. The accident report is being turned over to the prosecuter's office.

http://www.record-eagle.com

Lets be careful!

Forum Member

Tragic

I found it interesting that the article said the child was in a car seat and that both were ejected. They said the seat had been instlled properly. This just doesnt sound right too me.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

HERE'S one from our area......

They Engine was responding behind their Heavy Squad on a structure fire. A car pulled over for the Squad and didn't know the Engine was behind it, so she pulled back into the lane........ The Driver of the engine tried to steer clear of the car, but it was too late. Luckily the car was just pushed out of the way, otherwise she probably would be dead........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We are all aware of the dangers responding to and from our calls for service, however, the driver and the company officer of responding apparatus need to be fully aware of the pontential aftermath follwing an accident.

I have witnessed to many times when the company officer sits in the right front seat and is "along for the ride". I do not hesitate to call my driver out if I beleive we are operating unsafe. Granted, apparatus accidents can and will happen with no fault to the responding crew, but these accidents are becoming far to frequent.
    Last edited by Frosty42; 03-11-2005 at 03:56 AM.

Fire Chaplain

Originally posted by Dave1983
    Tragic

I found it interesting that the article said the child was in a car seat and that both were ejected. They said the seat had been instlled properly. This just doesnt sound right too me.
    I saw the photos of their vehicle on the news -- given the condition of it, I'm not surprised about the ejections.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Here's a pic of the Toledo crash from The Toledo Blade.......

The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77
    HERE'S one from our area......

The Engine was responding behind their Heavy Squad on a structure fire. A car pulled over for the Squad and didn't know the Engine was behind it, so she pulled back into the lane........ The Driver of the engine tried to steer clear of the car, but it was too late. Luckily the car was just pushed out of the way, otherwise she probably would be dead........
    I've seen many uh close calls with emergency apparatus following one behind the other. People seem to only hear one siren, and forget to check their mirrors/shoulder before they proceed.

Thread Information