Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ode To Safety

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Ode To Safety

This thread is dedicated mainly to safety oriented topics, starting off with a poem that was writen by someone who had a "Near-Miss" while on the job. These stories are from Canadian Military installations however, their essance holds true for any placement/employment worldwide.

Ode to Safety

The following cautionary tale, penned by Cpl Trudi Kwakernaak, has been instructive and appreciated within her unit. Her supervisor wrote: “Trudi wrote this poem for one of our weekly safety talks. I think it is very well done, sends a very important message and proves our “weeklys” need not be boring.

Cpl Trudi Kwakernaak, 14 AMS/ALSE/Supply, 14 Wing, Greenwood

Ode to Safety

When I arrived in ALSE Supply, I was in my glory –
    No more airplanes, twas a joyous story.
    I didn’t need coveralls and could wear my rings.
    After all, an office job involves no dangerous things.

Time proved me wrong as I settled into place.
    I decided to get comfortable by rearranging my space.
    I’ve done it at home with no problems as such.
    What danger is there in adding a feminine touch?

It was too late when I saw the cautioning light,
    Right after my finger and a shelf had a physical fight.
    Thankfully, I had no injuries and insurance covered the cost
    Of the damage to my ring including the diamond I lost.

‘It could have been worse’ they kept telling me.
    Hindsight is wonderful but foresight’s the key.
    If I’d used my head and thought my plan through,
    I could have saved some anguish and gained some wisdom too.

We’re expected to work for eight hours each weekday –
    We have to if we want to earn our pay.
    Sometimes it’s easy and sometimes it’s not.
    Often we forget to follow the lessons we’re taught.

CFTOs always caution us to ‘follow the rules’.
    Don’t mess around when using equipment or tools.
    Always be aware of what can go wrong –
    You’re not exempt from accidents because you’re wise or strong.

A little horseplay or an avoidable distraction,
    A wrong move or a chain reaction –
    Inattention and technical labour just don’t mix,
    It takes seconds to screw up, usually hours to fix.

Whether working at a frantic or relaxed pace,
    There are always dangers lurking in your work space.
    Always be aware that the simplest task can go wrong
    And the expense or recovery can be extremely long.

No matter where you work or what you do,
    Whether you work alone or are part of a crew,
    If you’re not safety conscious and mentally alert,
    There’s the risk of an accident and someone getting hurt.

So is ALSE Supply the job I thought it would be?
    Well I’m enjoying the experience as everyone can plainly see.
    But I’ve accepted the fact that office work isn’t risk free,
    So now I leave my rings at home for the sake of safety!
    --------------
    Reflective Vests – Key to Staying Alive

The period from November to March heralds a time of the year that is very unsafe for anyone not wearing reflective clothing on or near roads and highways. It’s the time of year when daylight hours are reduced and both CF military and DND civilian personnel must make their way to and from work in darkness. It’s also the time of year when visibility for drivers is worsened by snow, freezing rain and frost buildup on windshields. (Even during daylight hours when drivers’ visibility is not impaired, joggers, walkers and cyclists run the risk of not being seen by motorists – a CF member died 18 months ago after being struck by a vehicle while jogging.)

In the early hours of the morning or at dusk, military personnel wearing combat uniforms or dress of the day (Army – dark green, Air Force – blue, and Navy – black) or civilians wearing dark clothing are very hard for motorists to see. This may result in accidents involving serious injuries or death.

The CF/DND should mandate the wearing of reflective vests for CF personnel when walking, running or bicycling while in uniform. The required change to the Military Dress Code is a small price to pay to eliminate the possible pain and suffering of the personnel and their families and colleagues in the aftermath of an injury-producing accident. Likewise, all personnel, military and civilian, should be strongly and continuously encouraged to wear reflective vests when walking, running or bicycling.

Often, municipal By-Laws are vague with respect to reflectors. 17 Wing’s Standing Orders regarding “Winter Bicycling Restrictions” do not address the issue of reflective clothing and bicycle reflectors during seasonal changes. We need a national-level CF/DND policy related to reflective vests and reflectors.

Anything that helps the motorists to see walkers, joggers or cyclists at a distance is worthwhile. So my advice is – wear reflective clothing. It’s an inexpensive means of “staying alive”.

WO Pat Kieffert
    Assistant WGSO, 17 Wing, Winnipeg

D Safe G Response
    WO Kieffert’s article strikes an important chord and includes a proposal that bears further consideration. The potential for CF/DND personnel to be struck by moving vehicles while moving in poorly lighted areas of our Bases/Wings cannot be overstated, and his suggestion to equip all CF members with a reflective vest would certainly lower that risk.

Without wishing to sound unfeeling and bureaucratic, one key drawback to this suggestion is the cost of the reflective vests which presumably, should also be provided to civilian employees as well as to CF members. 4 Wing Cold Lake, however, has addressed the problem and the cure in a positive cost-effective manner as reflected in this extract from 4 Wing Standing Orders:

Purpose
    1. The purpose of this directive is to identify those conditions under which bicycles, vehicles and personnel at 4 Wing Cold Lake are required to use retro reflective tape.

General
    2. Due to the lack of adequate lighting and sidewalks on a number of roadways on the Wing, and the wearing of dark clothing at night, has resulted in a number of near misses and accidents. A large number of bicycles on the Wing also lack the required front and rear reflective markings.

3. Bearing in mind the comments above, the use of retro reflective tape is compulsory in the following circumstances:

On all bicycles which do not have reflectors, operating at night on roadways within the 4 Wing Cold Lake including PMQ’s, and main access roads (retro reflective tape or reflectors must be on the front and rear fenders or frames); and
    By all joggers, exercise, or recreational walkers at night while on 4 Wing roadways.

4. Retro reflective tape may be worn by personnel in military clothing walking throughout the confines of the Wing. This retro reflective tape is to be removed at work or at the end of the normal workday. Military clothing with reflective tape is not authorized off the Wing.

5. In addition Private Operators Motor Vehicle operators are to place some reflective system or retro reflective tape on the rear and front bumper of any vehicle stalled or stopped for an extended period of time on any 4 Wing access roads or any poorly lighted roadway.

4 Wing has developed and locally-produced Velcro-fastened arm bands with reflector tape in sufficient numbers to meet the demands of this order. It is suggested that this is within the capability of the vast majority of CF Bases and Wings and that similar local policies should be considered to address this potential hazard. This approach, taking into account local conditions, might be more flexible and acceptable than the imposition of a blanket national policy. However, readers should note that new reflective clothing purchases must comply with CSA Standard Z96-02, titled High Visibility Safety Apparel.

Mike Braham
    Director, General Safety

http://www.vcds.forces.gc.ca/dsafeg/...05/intro_e.asp
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

TO: All DND/Civilian Residents

RE: Close Call Alert – Cooking with Oil

Sgt J.L.Longval Deputy Chief Fire Insp CFSU(O)FM, CST 1

Recently, at a National Capital Region DND/CIVILIAN Self Help Housing site a fire occurred as a direct result of a resident not closely monitoring food being cooked in oil.

The National Fire Protection Association reports 85% of fire deaths occur in the home, making fire prevention a top priority in every home. Cooking is the number one cause of home fires and a leading cause of fire deaths and burn injuries. Preventing kitchen fires is a matter of common sense.

Cooking oil if over heated will:

Start to bubble excessively, then;
    Start to emit smoke fumes, then; and
    Without warning, spontaneously ignite. The fire is intense and is caused by the oil vaporising and igniting. This means that the fire will not be restricted to the pot or pan but will surge up and outward almost instantly.
    When cooking with oil, ensure you comply with the following:

1. Monitor your cooking closely, even turning your back is enough time for a fire to start and get out of control.

2. Cooking oil that has reached boiling point (bubbling) is very dangerous. If the oil you are using starts to boil, carefully remove it from the heat source immediately. Simply turning the stove off may not be enough to reduce the heat soon enough, particularly if the appliance you are cooking on is electric. (Hard surface electric cook tops retain heat even after they are turned off).

3. Never over-fill your pan with cooking oil. Always make allowances for the amount of oil displaced by the food you are placing in the pan. Failure to do so may cause oil to flow over the rim of the pan and make contact with the heat source.

4. Report any faulty kitchen equipment to the Self Help Housing/CFHA Operations Office immediately.

5. Contact the Self Help Housing/CFHA if you wish any personal piece of electrical cooking equipment to be checked by the electrician.

6. If the oil catches fire: Use a fire extinguisher ABC class or a fire blanket to contain the fire. DO NOT USE WATER.

Remember to install an all-purpose (ABC) extinguisher in your kitchen. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for its use. If the fire does not go out right away, leave the house and contact the fire department (911).

Never go back inside the house after you leave until the fire department has confirmed that is safe to do so.

Be fire safe at all time at work and at home: If you have any questions or concerns about Fire Safety at work or at home don’t hesitate to contact your local Base/Station/or unit Fire prevention office. They will be more than happy to help you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

The following is a copy of an email message that I received this morning from (or through) SafetySmart.com, which is where I get a lot of my safety notices.

-----Original Message-----
    [mailto:Publisher@SupportingThe Troops.org]
    Sent: Thursday, 10, March, 2005 22:11 PM
    To: Hills

Subject: New DoL Mandatory Posting Requirement

Dear Safety Colleague:

Effective TODAY, the U.S. Department of Labor requires all employers,
    regardless of size, to post a notice informing employees who are or have been in the military of their legal rights under a law called USERRA (the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994).

In addition to being required by law, posting such a notice is a great
    way to announce your company's support for our brave veterans, at home
    and abroad.

To help you comply with the law and demonstrate your support for our
    troops, we are pleased to offer you a full-color PDF version of our new USERRA poster... absolutely FREE!

You can download your FREE USERRA Poster at
    www.supportingthetroops.org

Please forward this e-mail to your business colleagues so that they,
    too, will easily and quickly be in compliance with this new posting
    requirement.

Sincerely,
    Mark Ziebarth
    Publisher

P.S. Download your FREE poster at www.supportingthetroops.org

Thread Information