Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Denver Area Testing: DRCOG

Wondering if anyone knows anything about the DRCOG Fire Test in Denver. I am plannning on taking it in April and want to make sure its legit before I drive all the way out there. Has anyone had any success with this test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure what you mean by legit, but yes it is a written entrance exam. Hundreds of people take it whenever it is offered. The test is a CWH test, which is not very popular with test-takers. You'll get your results about two weeks after taking it. If you are interested in working for any of the departments that require it, it is the only way to get hired by them (except parker, who ocassionally does their own test, but not as a rule). You can take the test, pass it, and never get an invitation to apply to any departments, because none are hiring. Or you may get ten invitations, it all depends on your score, your certs, and whether depts are hiring. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The drive from St. Louis to Denver is a long one though, believe me. Kansas never, ever, ever ends.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Phelly,
    Are you coming all the way out from St.Louis to take the test? Are you a medic? Like Eric Said the DRCOG is the CWH test, which is different from any other civil service or fire exam I have taken before. I believe there are 17 local departments that pull of the test list, most of the departments are ALS. I ask if you are a medic because if you are this test will almost guarantee you a fire job in this area. If not be prepaired to score really well. In order to pass the test you need at least of 70, which is rather easy. But, realistically you need to score 90 or above to get an inviation to test with any of the departments. Keep in mind if you are a medic you basically just need to pass with a 70 or above to be invited to test. I know of many of medics that get hired with really low scores, whereas it is very rare to see FF's get hired with scores below 90. Denver is a great area to work with reasonable pay. The best of luck to you if you decide to come out in test. Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boulder

Does Boulder have academy classes when they hire, or just fill gaps when needed?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently in the last leg of my paramedic training here in St. Louis. I should have my license by august. Do you think I should wait until I have my license before testing in Denver, or does the fact that I am currently in Medic school mean anything to them? Because I imagine it would take a few months before anyone would invite me to test at their department, and there's a good chance I'll have my license by then.

Another question... does having my bachelors degree score me any points with DRCOG?

MembersZone Subscriber

Phelly,
    I would test out here anyway, the fact that you are in medic school will be appealing to a lot of departments. I had a number of friends that got hired throught DRCOG when they were only half way through there medic classes. BA really doesn't matter as far as points go, it may give you a slight edge over someone who as no post high school education. The medic cert is what is going to get you hired.

DJLund,
    Boulder hires directly off the DRCOG, then they will put you through a fire academy. The academy is a combination academy with several other fire departments it makes up the Northern Colorado Consortium. Other departments like Union Colony, PFA, Chenyenne, Longmont and Boulder all use this as their academy. They typically put on the academy twice a year once in the spring and once in the fall, it depends on how many each department is hiring in that year. By the way Boulder just put 9 people through the fall academy so it could be awhile before they hire again. Best of luck to you all!

Thread Information