Thread: PAT test

Default PAT test

I'm just about to enroll to The Fire School Coral Springs,Fl
    I want to be certified Firefighter and EMS.
    Wonder if the Physical Ability test is hard?
    Also,I'm 43 ,Hopefully i won't be too old to be consider
    If anybody has any comments,they are welcome,Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

The physical abilities test to get into a cert. program isn't that hard. However once you get your certs. and apply for jobs as a ff, you will find that each agency runs a different physical abilities test. Some use a test similar to the Firefighter Combat Challenge and others are starting to use the CPAT (candidate physical abilities test). The main thing to do is to keep in shape and work on your cardio. excersises. Good- luck! I hope this helped.

hey the PAT can be hard. Start running, start training..... heres what the test is.

1. put on a vest that about the weight of bunker gear and scba,etc. youll have this vest on for all the test

2. carry hose section up 4 stories.

3. put hose down, and left another section hose up 4 stories with a rope.

4. pick up section of hose you brought up and carry it back down 4 stories.

5. keiser sled time

6. drag 100 ft of charged hose line.

7. drag 150 lbs. dummy 100ft or so.

this is all timed and must be finished in less then 7 minutes

untimed events:
    1. climb ladder
    2. lift extrication tools.
    3. crawl through confined space.

heres some tips: bring gloves , start training, and bring some water, and be EXTRA NICE TO THE EXPLORERS!!!!! haha

also dont throw down the nozzle on the hose drag, place it down slowly on the ground. and pace yourself and breath, 7 minutes is a long time.

also you can order a video on the PAT test from broward county library

Forum Member

i'll be taking it with you in may!!!

not sure if this thread is being checked but i have some info that may be helpful.

I have been involved in the testing in the past and have transported many people attempting to finidh this test due to over exertion and heat exhaustion also a few for actual cardia emergencies.

so with that said yes it can be a demanding non forgiving test with a few exercises and dedicationof will power there isno reason to not pass.

Running and alot of cardio is definatly suggested this is were most have problems. If you are able to get t a gym get on a treadmill and set the mph at 9 with an incline of 5.(dont try this the first time work to it). anyway run this for 2 min with a 2 min period of walking inbetween sets. this is a great way to build up endurance, cardio and get used to lactic acid build up in your legs.

Thenext thing you can do if coordinated enouh walk backward on the treadmill at a minimal incline and enough speed to hurt but not to throw you off. Most of the test is going to effect your legs the hardest.

useing a cable machine take the rope and place it about the hieght you need to be bent over and pull in the direction to simulate hitting the keiser. this will help with back strenght for the event.

Again on the cable machine take a single handle and place it as low as possible. pull in an upward non twisting direction as you would be hoisting. This is primarily shoulders and will help with the hoisting portion.

work with a leg press and build up those legs.... you can also take a step pedistole like the ones used for aerobics with either a weight vest and or minimal dumbbells steping up and down alternating legs to get used to the simulation fo climbing stairs

I hope this will help some of you. make sure you are hydrating for at least two days prior to the test. if you are going to drink gatoraide cut in half with water it has the tendency to actually dehydrate you due to the sodium levels.. good luck!!!!!!!!

Thread Information