Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Simplex fire alarm panels

Does anyone know where the warm boot switch/button is on a Simplex 4100 FACP (or any other of their addressable systems)? I know itís behind the LCD display somewhere.

I make it a habit of staying away from any button or switch on any fire alarm panel that is hidden from a firefighter's plain sight. If they hide the switch, it's for a reason...like "don't mess with it".

Another thing that torques me is the "ten step procedure" required to reset an addressable fire alarm panel. The engineers who design them have forgotten the KISS mentality we firefighters have.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

If I can't reset it by pushing a button or two, it's broken as far as I'm concerned. That's why they're paying a subscription fee to maintain the thing.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Originally posted by Steamer
    If I can't reset it by pushing a button or two, it's broken as far as I'm concerned. That's why they're paying a subscription fee to maintain the thing.
    If the panel is a "Simplex" it is broken as far as I am concerned. Proprietary design that they usually sell cheap and charge a lot to repair. And we get the privilege of dealing with them at 3AM!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

ffexpcp, there is an old chinese proverb that goes something like this, "if you have to ask, perhaps you shouldn't". In other words if you don't know maybe you should call in the experts (but then an expert is only someone who has a breifcase in their hand and is more than 5 miles away from home). Then there is the old saying that goes "when all else fails, consult the manual"

Well, I have been trained by the company on using, testing, and programming of these systems, but itís one of those things that if you donít practice it youíll forget it. And simplex in my experience has a bad habit of taking all the manuals, blueprints, and instructions with them when they leave. (I think it's so you need to call THEM back at an insane hourly rate to have their workers who have no idea what they're doing start replacing random parts untill it stops blinking at them)

The problem is after logging on in programming mode it needs to be re-booted with that switch.

Oh, and Iím not doing this as a FF.

From a FF point of view, I think these are fairly easy systems to operate.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 03-12-2005 at 07:49 PM.

My brother in law worked for Gamewell in designing and building these "addressable" systems. He would ask my opinion, seeeing that the firefighters would be the ones having to deal with the systems most of the time. The "engineers" with abundance of letters after their name like BSEE, MSEE, etc. couldn't give a fat rats rump about a firefighters's opinion. My brother in law grew up in the electronic business working with his Dad, and knew what things look like to the average Joe Firefighter working "da Job". my opinion... give me a screen to tell me exactly what detector or sprinker tripped, a button to silence the alarm and a button to reset without having to scroll through a menu of options at 03 oh my God it's early hours in the morning!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-13-2005 at 10:41 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

See, you can fix this very easily. Rip out the simplex stuff and replace it with Notifier. Problem solved.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Right you are NMFIRE

Thread Information