Thread: FF Job

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FF Job

Ok maybe this is posted in the wrong section but hey whatever I need some feedback from you guys and whatcha think.

I just graduated fire standards in december , and I have had no luck in getting a job , I do not have emt but I am enrolled for next semester. Everyone in florida wants emt/firefighters without that your nothing , I was wondering did anyone else have this problem finding a department ? Does anyones departments recognize florida requirments Im also nationally regestered. Im willing to relocate anywhere just to " get in the club " and learn and try my best.

Im on a volunteer department we run on average 100 calls a month I make about 70 - 80 a month sometimes 60. So I gain experience alot and learn alot from the older guys and doing. Im just wondering Im kind of loseing hope , and also think that medical is so more important nowadays and fire is crap thats just the feeling Im getting.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

It's only been three months since you graduated. It often takes YEARS to get hired. Patience and persistence is definitely required in this line of work.

How many depts have you applied to, and how far have you gotten in the selection process. There could be a million reasons why you aren't seeing results yet, but without more info, it is tough to give you any really valuable help.

I might also suggest a visit to Capt Bob's site for some specific help:

www.eatstress.com
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

District Chief

I know guys who graduate last year in Fla and have not gotten a job. It takes time and patience like mcaldwell says. Use the shotgun approach and apply everywhere and take what you get. It seems your problem is that you do not have EMT. Most every department in fla is at least BLS non transport (meaning they run EMS calls but do not transport). There are so many people looking for fire jobs that you will not find many departments that sponsor you through EMT. Some, such as Brooksville "have in the past" hired people who were almost through with EMT and were first responders waiting on results of EMT test....but that is rare and there is no saying they will do that again.

A lot of places are going ALS.... If you get hired as a F/F EMT they will require you to attend MEDIC School and pay for it...such as Spring Hill and Hernando County. But you have to sign a contract agreeing to get it in a certain time or it is C YA Later! EMS is where the money is and although there will always be fires, those with EMS, especially ALS certs drive the ship!

It has been just over 3 months since you graduated. You mention 60-80 calls a month. You need to drop the "i got experience" attitude because in those 60 how many are actually "real calls." I have interviewed folks for jobs and those that have the cocky attitude that I partially detect in you do not go far. Mention that you are a volunteer for XXX years and certified in Dec 04 and let it go. I am not slamming you by any means...but I see in some of your posts and by your screen name that you can come off cocky. Take it from someone who has been in this business a long time and learned the hard way.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive applied alot of places just waitin gon feedback , i applied for citrus county just when they went paid I made exalant scores on the written and showed up 10 minutes late the next day for the physical which i would have cake walked all over it because I just graduated from where they were doing the testing , and they were doing exactly what we did when we tested out for standards , the chief sent me home dissapointed because he was looking forward of me makeing it he already knew who was going to hire pretty much , he hired all the volunteers that applied except for one , I was so disapointed in myself , i cried when i got home because I wanted it so badly and I over slept because i was up late the night before I couldnt sleep nervous and studying with my friend ( one of the chiefs ) who forgot how to do alot of stuff , and we reviewed. I also just applied for iraq wackenhut and hopeing on hearing back from them soon. I know i shouldnt get discouraged and im willing to keep putting forth the effort just i worked so hard to graduate only 17 graduated out of 44 students who started. Was a tough academy , but anywho thanks for the advice.

Im sorry if I come off cocky myt name has nothing to do with it its just a name my friends gave me in fire academy , because I moved here from tampa , and I drive a lowrider and they thought itd be funny to call me firepimp , Ill change my name to low bottem fire rookie whos only a volunteer would that suite some of you better. i try and be real and not say anything bad but everytime I speak on here everyone jumps my *** saying Im cocky in way or another whatever I just wont post anymore I guess , even thogh I was trying to be humble in my post before I still sound cocky dont understand let alone dont care anymore.
    Last edited by firepimp; 03-12-2005 at 05:12 AM.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: FF Job

Originally posted by firepimp
    Ok maybe this is posted in the wrong section but hey whatever I need some feedback from you guys and whatcha think.

I just graduated fire standards in december , and I have had no luck in getting a job , I do not have emt but I am enrolled for next semester. Everyone in florida wants emt/firefighters without that your nothing , I was wondering did anyone else have this problem finding a department ? Does anyones departments recognize florida requirments Im also nationally regestered. Im willing to relocate anywhere just to " get in the club " and learn and try my best.

Im on a volunteer department we run on average 100 calls a month I make about 70 - 80 a month sometimes 60. So I gain experience alot and learn alot from the older guys and doing. Im just wondering Im kind of loseing hope , and also think that medical is so more important nowadays and fire is crap thats just the feeling Im getting.
    First off you should do a spell check and use proper grammer which you seem to have a problem with. Second, 3 months is nothing. And lastly, what was meant by the last comment in your first post? About how "fire is crap". By the way, just because you completed an academy doesn't mean you have earned a full time fire job.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I made exalant scores on the written and showed up 10 minutes late the next day for the physical
    Maybe that should tell you something....

i try and be real and not say anything bad but everytime I speak on here everyone jumps my *** saying Im cocky in way or another
    Maybe that should also tell you something....

Im just wondering Im kind of loseing hope , and also think that medical is so more important nowadays and fire is crap thats just the feeling Im getting.
    Face facts, there are very few fire departments anymore, especially paid, that don't do some form of EMS. It's part of the job. If you let your contempt for EMS show through in interviews like it does here, you likely won't get the job you're looking for.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 03-12-2005 at 06:34 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Originally posted by dmleblanc

Maybe that should tell you something....

Maybe that should also tell you something....

Face facts, there are very few fire departments anymore, especially paid, that don't do some form of EMS. It's part of the job. If you let your contempt for EMS show through in interviews like it does here, you likely won't get the job you're looking for.
    Ummm, I agree, 200 %

MembersZone Subscriber

I see people like you all the time and it makes me mad.

You say you want a job but you don't show any effort. You expect it to be handed to you because you think you "deserve" it because you have a degree and you tried several times to get a job.

Here is your education son...pay attention.

If you really want a firefighter job, it has to be in your heart. You have to enjoy it like it is the best thing in the world. You have to want it like it is the last thing on earth, like it is a drop of water after being in the desert all day. What I'm trying to say is that you really have to be thirsty for a full time job. You have to work your ***** off to get it.

How do you do that? Change your attitude. Make yourself stand out above the rest. Make your resume as presentable as possible. You already have the training, that's a start. Your ahead of half of everyone else. You do not have experience young man. Most departments consider 2 years volley or part time experience the same as 1 year full time experience. I can tell you that a good balance of education and experience will take you a long way. If you were a fire chief, would you want to hire someone fresh out of the gates or someone with some knowledge?? Would you hire yourself?? Listen to the others in these forums. These are the men and women that have been there and have forgotten more about fire than we will ever know. The old saying goes, "listen and respect your elders." This holds true. You are young, it doesn't happen overnight.

Who wants to hire someone that comes in late and has an attitude about not getting the job. Make that person who has the power to make the choice to choose you. When you hire someone, you want the best you can get.

You need to look in the mirror and change your ways quick before you get a name for yourself and you loose forever.

I wish you luck kid.
    Last edited by Dickey; 03-12-2005 at 07:11 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I understand and respect your feelings. However, many people, like myself, are in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, the reason I'm not getting hired is out of my control - injury. Yea it's discouraging.. but it's not going to get me down, and I'm certainly not going to give up. I know that when the right opportunity comes around, I'll get hired. Until then, I'll keep applying, keep giving it my all, and know that when I get hired I worked for the job - it wasn't just handed to me. I personally feel that if you really want to do this job, nothing will stop you or get in your way. Perseverance is the key.

On a side note.. here in NC none of the larger departments require any type of certifications, etc. Cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Wilmington, etc. In fact, most cities don't require anything. They put you through their academy no matter how qualified someone is, and you get all your training there. I'm not sure what size departments you're applying to down in FL, but the majority of the ones that require certifications prior to hiring (here in NC) are the combination departments. I know there are several NC places that are getting ready to hire, they're always hiring up here.. but like you already know, it takes time and perseverance.

Good luck.. let me know if you need any other help. You're not a loser until you give up.
    Last edited by FTMPTB15; 03-12-2005 at 01:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wowww , I ask for some help about crap and this turns into a total screw fest , from raggin gon my grammer from , any and everything I say , good times shows how much heart and respect some of you have , I never said I wanted to be handed a job , just expressing some of my feeling and comments towards it this is a forums board.

I never said fire is crap as a comment , i said Im getting the feeling that everyone around here that is hireing fire is crap it comes in second its all about the medical side , but I even get ragged on about that .

yes lets do it everyone c'mon you guys are already paid and what not and live the life so you have every right to throw down someone who is trying and putting forth the effort , and continueally takeing more and more classes , but you've already made up your mind that im just some cocky kid thinking that i deserve this instead of earning it , quality people thats all I have to say.

former FH.com member

Lightbulb

You know what Pimp? If you would stop whining for a second and read these posts, you would find some very good advice. People ARE trying to help you. Try typing a coherent sentence with some form of punctuation so people are less likely to misinterpret what you say. It doesn't have to be perfect, just legible.

Forum Member

yes lets do it everyone c'mon you guys are already paid and what not and live the life so you have every right to throw down someone who is trying and putting forth the effort , and continueally takeing more and more classes , but you've already made up your mind that im just some cocky kid thinking that i deserve this instead of earning it , quality people thats all I have to say.
    I understand and respect your feelings. However, many people, like myself, are in the same boat as you.
    Go back.. re-read my post and you'll see that nothing I'm saying is putting you down. I'm in the same situation as you, but I think you just need to take a few breaths and slow down.. in my opinion, if you don't like what someone has to say, just ignore it. Don't throw everyone into the same category here, people are trying to help.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dickey
    I see people like you all the time and it makes me mad.

You say you want a job but you don't show any effort. You expect it to be handed to you because you think you "deserve" it because you have a degree and you tried several times to get a job.

I agree with you but unfortunately I think part of the problem is some of the schools, I've noticed many seem to "teach" a cocky attitude. I don't know if this is a misguided attempt at building confidence or "can do" attitude but it seems to be a common trait of recent graduates of fire programs. Every school has the best program, and candidates are told they must be the best but then are supposed to turn into pond scum when in the presence of their elders, it sends a confusing message. Just go to a test and watch all the posturing between candidates, it is kind of amusing. This is not a new thing either, I saw the same thing 14 years ago when I was going through the academy, and can't say I didn't have some of the same attitude (although I'd like to deny it).

Firepimp, don't worry about the hard time some are giving you, most have offered good advice and it is in the nature of firefighters not to cut another firefighter a break when there is a chance to give someone a hard time. Keep asking questions but toughen up a bit, don't take every nitpick personally, most are just busting your chops also try to tone down the ego a bit, those two things will reduce the "rude" comments and let the answers get down to buisness. As to your original question it took me 4 years to become a career firefighter even with a medic license and 4 years of vollie time.

As far as your comment on Fire vs EMS, yes basically fire is secondary, honestly most communities could probably get away with volunteers or an industrial fire brigade if they only responded to fires, most fire departments run 70% or more medical and only 5-10% fires.

District Chief

First off you should do a spell check and use proper grammer which you seem to have a problem with
    You stole the words right out of my mouth!
    Firepimp, don't worry about the hard time some are giving you, most have offered good advice.....
    It was not my intent to give him a hard time. I was responding to his request for opinions/observations. If it was taken as a hard time...I appologize.

firepimp says
    Wowww , I ask for some help about crap and this turns into a total screw fest , from raggin gon my grammer from , any and everything I say , good times shows how much heart and respect some of you have
    Listen young man....none of this is intended to be a "screw fest" by any of us. We have all been around the block and seen or experienced what you are experienced. We do have a heart and we do care and that is why we are offering you advice. Spelling, punctuality and the way you present yourself a lot about you to the person you are asking to hire you. Also, regardless of how much you think you have a chang\ce to get the job, you have to play the part. By that I mean do not interact with that Operations Chief as if he was your friend. Treat him with respect and address him appropriately. Remember, he is going to potentially be your boss. For the interview make sure you dress the part and wear dress pants, a shirt, tie and shine your shoes. If you were a Fire Chief......and a person sent you an application that had a lot of misspelled words in it, then was late for the test and finally showed up in shorts, a Fire Department T-Shirt that says "you light em we fight em!" and running shoes(not saying that is what you would wear).... What would that say to you as the Fire Chief? Secondly, I had my certifications at the age of 18 and did not get hired anywhere for almost 4 years of applying. In the meantime, I continued to volunteer, go to classes, train, watch and learn.

but you've already made up your mind that im just some cocky kid .....
    You leave us no other option than to assume that by your response. You remind me of two people what they were your age....me and my son (the branch does not fall far from the tree). I certified and ready to conquer the world and it was not until an old veteran sat me down and had a heart to heart with me that I realized I needed an attitude asjustment. My son was the same way.....and I got that same old veteran (who is really old now) to give him the same talk. He (my son) listened and is now a career firefighter and still volunteers in the same house that I started in and is an officer this year, that is highly regarded by the Chief.
    Last edited by captstanm1; 03-13-2005 at 11:48 AM.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

For clarification purposes, my thoughts on the attire are not base on any knoweldge of what you would wear. They are simply some suggestions as to what you should wear that will leave a good impression. I have been on many hiring boards and promotion boards for interviews and you would not believe some of the attire that I have seen worn!

Take it for what it is worth.
    BMI Investigator

Forum Member

Originally posted by captstanm1
    It was not my intent to give him a hard time. I was responding to his request for opinions/observations. If it was taken as a hard time...I appologize.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply the info being given wasn't intended to be serious but he seems to takes some of it very literally as an attack instead of good intentioned banter. That is all, I don't think any of the replys have been out of line.

District Chief

nonsurfin....my response was not directed at you. I understood exactly what you meant...
    BMI Investigator

District Chief

Just for giggles, I am gonna bump this one back to the top for more discussion.
    BMI Investigator

Forum Member

HA.. guess we scared him off with all the advice that he was asking for. So... anybody else hungry?! or possibly thirsty?! I am..

MembersZone Subscriber

and I drive a lowrider and they thought itd be funny to call me firepimp ,
    Well don't show up driving it ANYWHERE you want a job; 6" can exhaust pinging, overdrive bass a thump', tires hangin out of the wheelwells, seat laid back/can't see over the dash. Borrow a "normal" car or take a taxi. You want to project an image of maturity not irresponsibility. On your 2nd week at a job (any job) perhaps start driving the kiddie toy.

Did you think being called a pimp was a compliment?

Forum Member

Firepimp ....

I am not a career firefighter, but I have been working in the business world with resposiblity for hiring and firing for 25 years ,and let me stress what some of the other posters have said.
    I have been a volunteer for over 25 years, and I am responsible for public education and have previous responsibilities for public information, where "small" things like attitude, appearance, spelling and grammer DO matter.

Many of today's fire chiefs are in fact taking a more "businesslike" approach to the operation of a fire department, especially the larger ones. They, and the staff responsible for the hiring process, do look at a canidate's ability spell, construct sentences and to write clearly and professionally. It does matter, and quite honestly, if I was reveiwing your cover letter or application, and it looked like your posts, your application would most likely find the bottom of the pile or the trash can very quickly. How you write does reflect who you are, and more importantly reflects the pride that you take in doing a job correctly and professionally. This is not meant to bash you, but simply to let you know that you do need to work on your writing ability if you expect folks in the fire service to take your application seriously.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-14-2005 at 02:23 PM.

I have been in your shoes pimp, literally.
    Two things:
    1. There is a fine line between confidance and cockyness. Confidance is showing you can do the job, Cockyness is saying you can do the job.
    2. It's never to early to shut up.

When I got out of academy, I too could not understand why I was not getting hired right away. I was testing but not getting any further than the oral panel. But I didnt know why. Turns out my measly academy and boyish good looks werent all the FD's I applied to were looking for. They wanted EXPERIENCE. That, and my additude was all wrong. I worked as a seasonal Firefighter for CDF while waiting to get picked up with a "city" department. My second day on the job with CDF, the oldest, saltiest Captain I have ever met sat me down and told me It was never to early to shut up. Not bad advice for the cocky 19 year old I was. I heeded that advice and ended up doing 3 seasons with them before getting my "real job" (CDF is as real as most FD's I have seen, I just didnt know it then). I made it 3 days with my current FD before getting my "come to Jesus" talk. This time it was the Chief himself who sat me down. That is not a pleasent felling and I do not recommend it. He told me basically the same thing, shut up (is it me or do I have a Pattern?)
    I have been with my FD for 4 years now, and have seen a few others come in with my original additude. They all have been "corrected" quickly and have turned out to be very good firefighters.

My point to all this rambling is that you are not alone in your journey, others are with you and others have been there. When I say "shut up" I dont mean that in any kind of rude or demeaning way. I mean it exactly as I wrote it. It sucks to hear it so many different ways from so many different people, but its some of the best advice you will ever recieve. Keep up the search, if you are as "good" and "deserving" as you say, it will happen for you. Just dont let your mouth talk you out of your job (trust me on that last one, it applies throughout your career.)

Good luck Kid
    Stay Low, Stay Safe

"Probie, It's never too early to shut up"

These are my opinions only, not my wife's, not my dog's, not my associate's or my employer's. Mine.

District Chief

1. There is a fine line between confidance and cockyness. Confidance is showing you can do the job, Cockyness is saying you can do the job. 2. It's never to early to shut up
    Darn the luck....I wish I had said that myself.... Thanks for that input.
    BMI Investigator

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by neiowa

Well don't show up driving it ANYWHERE you want a job; 6" can exhaust pinging, overdrive bass a thump', tires hangin out of the wheelwells, seat laid back/can't see over the dash. Borrow a "normal" car or take a taxi. You want to project an image of maturity not irresponsibility. On your 2nd week at a job (any job) perhaps start driving the kiddie toy.

Did you think being called a pimp was a compliment?
    I mean hell what a hoopdee wagon I have lol , stop being stereotypical when someone says something , lowrider doesn't mean punk kid or bass booming disrespectful scumbag , but I guess in your eyes it does and you see one and just assume someone is like that and acts like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by firepimp; 03-14-2005 at 05:12 PM.

Forum Member

only 17 graduated out of 44 students who started
    Not saying a lot of good things about that academy.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information