Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vehicle Exhaust Systems

Is there anyone out there who has information on what fema is looking for when evaluating a grant proposal for a station vehicle exhaust system? Has anyone been succesfull and willing to share their success? Looking for some help.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

We recieved a grant in 2003 to install a vehicle exhaust system at the department's 2 stations. We had the Plymovent system installed.

If you look at page 20, paragraph 2 of the 2005 program guidance, it will give you info on what's required for the vehicle exhaust system.

I'll e-mail a copy of the narrative to you.

Would appreciate a copy also.

We applied for it in 2003 but got turned down. I don't think it was a big priority that year but after reading this year's program it looks like it has moved up the list.

Thanx.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

onebugle, I am also interested in vehicle exhast system. Can you e-mail me a copy of your narrative for reference. Thanks

MLFR@frontiernet.net

Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

A big portion of the consideration regarding exhaust systems depends on your fire department's classification and useage of your station.

If you are a volunteer department whose station is only staffed during calls and training, you will score lower than a department who staffs their station on a more consistent basis (i.e. full-time department, part-time department, etc). Not saying you won't receive a grant, but you will probably not be as high up on the list.

It is the same, but reversed, for fire alarm and sprinkler systems. Full-time staffed departments will not receive as much points in lieu of part-time or less staffed stations. It is assumed that full-time stations are staffed more than part-time and less stations and that they would be able to detect a fire sooner.

HOWEVER, it all ultimately comes down to how you justify your grant and your narrative. You may be a volunteer department who only staffs the station a few times a month, but if you do your research and write your narrative well enough, you would possibly have a good shot. Don't just give the narrative to your chief or fellow department member's to read...give it to people who are not associated with your department (I recommend, however, sticking with people who are affiliate with the fire service).

Good luck!

Question Exhaust System

Onbugle could your send me the narritive we tried in 2004 for the Plymovent and got the Dear John email Thanks

Maurie Worthen Capt
    Hampstead Fire & Rescue NH
    nuke911@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by onebugle
    We recieved a grant in 2003 to install a vehicle exhaust system at the department's 2 stations. We had the Plymovent system installed.

If you look at page 20, paragraph 2 of the 2005 program guidance, it will give you info on what's required for the vehicle exhaust system.

I'll e-mail a copy of the narrative to you.

Could you please email me a copy also.

swampbox@hotmail.com

Thanks

Permanently Removed AsstEngineer292's Avatar

Pshh, wish we could get an exhaust system, our building is only 10 foot heigh, and the doors only open to 9'8'. So we're trying to get the Ward Diesel Apparatus Mounted system.

E-mail me at Asst.Chief292@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing to remember, often the location of your sleeping quarters in stations that are manned w/ paid staff is key as well. Less consideration if your quarters are not to the rear of the bay or directly overhead.

MembersZone Subscriber

So we're trying to get the Ward Diesel Apparatus Mounted system.
    Having experience with the Ward Diesel No-Smoke I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on it.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...786#post408786

Permanently Removed AsstEngineer292's Avatar

^^Gee thanks man. We have a 79' FDNY Mack refurbed in 91 but it smokes like a mother, ha, but seriously it smokes the ENTIRE STATION even though it's 2nd out, anyone know of any other systems? We have a 10Ft building so yea, we need a small system.

MembersZone Subscriber achief15's Avatar

We are asking for a AirMation ceiling mounted unit for our bays. It seems to be the alternative to the hose system, and from what I've been able to find out, meets all of the required standards They are at airtechnologysoultions.net May work for those short bays.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

We recived an AFG for a venting system in 2003 we used Plymovent, the Plymovent people were very helpfull they came to our station and gave us a lay out and a price to install. The fast that we share our station with PD and it is used for girl scouts, boy scouts, old folks card games, asd well as some selectmens meetings. I feel this was a huge help to gaining the grant. We are a combination dept (only the chief is full time). This same system was rejected @ town meeting the year before. We are very greatfull FEMA awarded this to us , It has cut down on airborne diesel fumes so everybody breathes easier!

For those of you looking into the exhaust systems and especially those of you that have gotten them previously what kind of prices are you being quoted or what did you pay for the system. I've been quoted in the $40,000 range for a 4 vehicle system from what are probably the "big 2" manufacturers. That's a lot higher than I ever imagined.

Forum Member

Best way to estimate is $10,000 per bay thats whats i have heard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

We recieved a grant in 2004 for an Exhaust system. No particular brand, because it will go to bid. A few things to really check though: Our understanding was that FEMA wants an NFPA compliant "Total Capture System" which we've taken to mean that it must have collection hoses that follow the apparatus out to the edge of the foors and can be connected before backing in. We had a ceiling mounted system in place and still recieved the grant (we did divulge it in our narrative). The ceiling system didn't do crap and the filter had to be changed much more often than the installer said. It is also our understanding that the apparatus mounted filters (Ward Diesel type) are not considered total capture and are acctually harmful to your apparatus engines. Evidentally, even early versions of the Plymovent type hose systems were not designed for apparatus to run any amount of time while connected and the change in exhaust pressures mess with the engine. This is the case we've heard on Ward systems.
    How did we get the grant? Combination Paid/Call department with 5 personnel sleeping in the station and alot of fianancial need data. Remember not only does your grant have to benefit as many firefighters and civilians as possible, but you must show why your community can't buy it on its own.If anyone really wants our narrative give me the email address, but it may be a little late with onlt 5 days to go.

Except for ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!

Default Narrative - Vehichle Exhaust System

onebugle,

Please email your narrative to me. Thank you in advance!
    nccfire@nccfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

NCCFIRE,

Is the posted e-mail address correct? I tried e-mailing you a copy of the narrative, but it came back undeliverable.

Default nccfire@nccn.net

Typo...It should be nccfire@nccn.net. Thanks for following up!

MembersZone Subscriber FireCritic's Avatar

Default I need information fast

Will someone please email me the information that is being talked abouit in this thread on diesel exhaust systems. Thank you

FireFleitz@adelphia.net

Thread Information