Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default NJ Volunteer firefighter looking to go career

My name is Ray. 20 years looking to get into the fire service. I love being a volunteer and would love it even more if I made it my career. I am currently going to school for a Fire Science degree. When finished, or maybe even before if I can work it out(to still finish my degree) I plan on going career. Any suggestions, tips, anybody hiring. I would just like to get some basic info on what path I should take. Thanks.

Forum Member

Cool Ohhhh boy

In Jersey you better move to Newark, Camden, Paterson, Passaic, Clifton, Hackensack, etc. They only hire residents and honestly could care less if you have a FS Degree or a Doctorate in Microbiology. If you want Jersey, where the competition is HIGH!!! You need to establish residency in these cities and LIVE THERE because they will check. PD will come to your house talk to your neighbors the landlord etc. The FD will check all your bills for the address. And you must maintain residency in the city for your probation period where they will still check up on you. Welcome to Jersey!

MembersZone Subscriber

WHEN IS THE NEXT STATE WIDE TEST FOR THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. CAN ANY ONE EMAILL ME THAT INFORMATION @FFTHOMAS2002@YAHOO.COM . THANKS

Forum Member

The next announcement for the state firefighter examintation is posted on the New Jersey Department of Personnel Web-Site. The announcement will be from May 2005 - September 2005. Be Safe. And, Have a Good Day!

MembersZone Subscriber

THANKS FOR THE INFO WHAT IS THE EXCAT WEB SITE NAME ??

Forum Member

Default Ok..

Sounds like your starting out from ground zero. I suggest
    taking every test you can, including out of the area.

Here are some website that will offer jobs and testing
    information...

www.firecareers.com
    www.firerecruit.com
    www.eatstess.com

Forum Member

Default Re: NJ Volunteer firefighter looking to go career

Originally posted by McAfeeFD11
    My name is Ray. 20 years looking to get into the fire service. I love being a volunteer and would love it even more if I made it my career. I am currently going to school for a Fire Science degree. When finished, or maybe even before if I can work it out(to still finish my degree) I plan on going career. Any suggestions, tips, anybody hiring. I would just like to get some basic info on what path I should take. Thanks.

Ray,

I live in Southern Jersey and after a few years of trying and testing I thought it was pretty much a dead issue with me getting into this as a career.

A friend of mine is and at the time was a Career Firefighter/EMT in New Castle County Delaware. He mentioned to me right after I got by NREMT that numerous companies in New Castle County were hiring.

New Castle County, Delaware as I'm sure you know is just over the Commadore Barry and Delaware Memorial Bridges. The Fire Department Structure is mainily Volunteer with Career Staffing in 18 of the 21 Fire Companies in the County. At any given time anywhere from 2 to 6 Companies at a time are seeking Fulltime Employees.

Now the main job of the Career Staffing in New Castle County is EMS but with low Volunteer Responses both night and day over the past few years the Career Personnel are on the apparatus as Firefighters, Drivers, and Officers.

I enjoy working down here - Pay isn't all that spectacular but remember you'd be working for a volunteer fire company and they set the rates - Pay ranges are anywhere from $12.00hr. to $15.00hr. and of course schedules are all diffrent. - Having EMT Certification at the National Level is the key to coming to work here {No Testing process, no political B.S.} Expirence and the ability to interview well is all you need beside the NREMT Card and Firefighting knowledge.

At this very moment 5 companies have postings out for Career Staff wanted. What happens here is people shuffle from company to company, get hired into the County Paramedic Program, or Get hired by City of Wilmington Fire so spots always open.

Good Luck in your job search

Thread Information