District Chief

Question Calling Hwoods...Need info?

Harv.....

Ever heard of the University of Maryland University College? www.umuc.edu

I got a flyer in the mail from them yesterday.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Yup!........................

Stan, UMUC has one of the best Distance Learning programs in the Country. After all, you can expect nothing less from Maryland. BTW, that photo of Warrenton's wagon with the dual Roto Rays has started something......... Only problem with Roto Ray is the rotation speed. They need to slow down a lot. PM me if you need more on UMUC, I'll ask a friend who works there.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

District Chief

Harv.... I love da roto rays!!!.....Beleive it or not there was talk...only momentarily of putting one on each corner of the Tower and one in the middle with mars lights in between..... Decided it was over kill. Remember the old OWL trademark of 3 Mars lights in the center of their rigs.....

Ok...back on subject... I am finishing my Associates (graduate in May)... Might look into my bachelors through umuc. If you recommend it, I am sure it is good. It just has to be accredited by the southern association of colleges or something like that before the city will accept it.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

When I was finishing up HS I went up and looked at UMUC and UMD and the PG Co. live-in program. I believe I'm kinda kicking myself in the ***** for not going up there and doing that program. UMUC (from what I heard/saw) has an excellent program, in which I'll probably enlist in to get my Bachelors Degree after I finish my Associates.. that is, if I don't just opt to take it at UNC-Charlotte.

Well back on topic.. if you haven't already, I'd really recommend check out their web site. It has a lot of great information. Let me know if I can help with anything else, but I'm sure h-dub-uh will be far more helpful than myself.

**I still might venture up the UMUC and the live-in program yet..! Afterall, I am still only 20.**

MembersZone Subscriber

My BS in Fire Science is from UMUC. UMUC is a fully accredited, college in the UM system. I had about 100 credits prior to that. They took about 90 of them. I took either 1 or 2 classes per semester. I also recieved 12 credits from a Portfolio review called EXCEL, in which you spend a semester putting together a rather lengthy and involved portfolio that highlights your past life experience. Your portfolio then correlates that life experience into the course completion requirements in courses offered by UMUC. The portfolio is reviewed by college professors and rated very strictly.

The head of the program is Joanne Hildebrand. She is a sweetheart and is very passionate about this program. If you call or email her, she will answer any and all questions and concerns. She fervently believes in the program.

The course materials include a large binder with the lecture materials, access to the web-based classroom and a host of links and materials that are supplemental in nature. There is also a required class textbook. The class is delivered through the web-based website and includes written assignments and mandatory classroom discussions in a forum format.

I found that the classes took about 3-4 hours per week to complete the work. The standards are high, because there is no usual classroom supervision. There is also a high expectation that the student will be committed to the work. Distance education students normally are more highly motivated and more mature than traditional students.

The college offers registered students and web-based information system that allows them to manage their education affairs online. There is also a job-database and career search help areas.

The one downside I found was the cost. When I first started the cost was reasonable. Then, they raised the cost to over $300 per credit. This is equivalent to many regular campus programs. However, they have a monthly payment option and all the financial aid options a traditional student has.

The last I checked, Cheffie was enrolled at UMUC. Email me at wendtcfi@optonline.net if you need any further help.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Stan
    George is correct. I am working on my BS in Fire Science through UMUC. Tuition is now $423 per unit (for out of state students). It is a very good program. The standards and expectations are very high but I like the challenge and discipline that the on-line classes offer. Email me if you have any questions.

Cheffie
    Last edited by superchef; 03-13-2005 at 03:13 PM.

District Chief

Thanks to all...... Glad to see that cheffie has all the $$$$
    BMI Investigator

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad to see cheffie has all the $$$$
    What cheffie will have is a mortgage payment of a student loan by time she is done. But it will be worth it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Shameless plug for U of Memphis

If UMUC doesn't work out, the University of Memphis also hosts the NFA curriculum.

Am I correct in remembering that you are from Florida? If so, you may qualify for in-state tuition through the "Academic Common Market." Current in-state tuition is $209 per credit hour.

University of Memphis Fire Service link
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Sr. Information Officer

Wink

Cheffie....I never imagined you'd be in the schoolgirl outfit...with the short pleated skirt...red hair flying in the breeze. >Takes deep breath...sighs, composes himself<

What a photo op.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

District Chief

BMI Investigator

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Chuckle, Chuckle...........

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
    h-dub-uh

Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

What a photo op
    Thank you NJ.

Forum Member

oh snap

Thread Information