Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Resumes at oral interviews

Alright, Before I go ahead and state what im going to say, I'm just going to let everybody know that I've done the research, I've done the checking of the forums and such, But I have come up empty. I wasnt exctally sure what to search for and what i had typed was to veague I suppose.
    Now that I've gotten that disclaimer out of the way....

Resumes at oral interviews. What is everybodys opinion on this? I've been to a couple of oral interviews and have done both sides. I have given my resume to a panel of 3 before. Should one be given to the panel if one is turned in with the application? should i bring multipul copies for a panel of 12 or just bring one? does it even matter?

any info would be greatly appericated.

Forum Member

Default Here tis

Resumes

Whatís the first impression the job panel has of you? Your physical appearance? What else? Your choice of words, eye contact, and your handshake? If you guessed any of these, you missed the most important point!

The all-important first impression is your application and resume, before you ever walk into the room! I canít tell you how many times weíve seen applications with misspelled words, chronological order wrong, and we havenít even seen the candidate.

Most resumes are poorly done. The business resume format is not the best for firefighter candidates, because with the high volume of candidates, the raters only have a few moments to look at your resume before you walk into the room.

Iím a one-page resume guy for entry level without a cover letter, not in a binder or folder. Do not give us a book. We will not read it. The board does not have enough time. And do not come into my interview, any interview, thinking you are going to hand out your resume and weíre going to read it. That is not going to happen. This upsets the normal flow of the interview. Weíre going to read your application and resume before you come in the room. If you submit a resume, get it to personnel to be placed in your file before the interview. Donít fax It. Make the appropriate copies and hand deliver or FedEx them.

A candidate faxed me his resume for review. The cover letter for the position he was applying for stated, ďAttached is a ďbriefĒ description of my qualifications.Ē I laughed out loud because he had sent me a book. The printer ran out of paper. Save a tree, the raters will not read these volumes. Donít send me on a treasure hunt to find your great stuff. Hit me with your major qualifications starting with your experience on one page. Write it believing the raters wonít go past the first page. You can put any supporting details, documents, certificates and letters of recommendation following the first page. Keep it simple.

Many people start their resume with their education. For me, I like to see professional experience jump right off the page. Hit me with experience, bam! Fire fighting, bam! Some kind of training, apparatus operator training, fire school, whatever it is. Hit me with that experience. And that doesnít necessarily have to be in chronological order or fire service experience. So many of the resumes I see, I find the important stuff way down at the bottom of the first page. Because thatís how it falls in chronological order. It starts with some education up here, some college, whatever, blah blah, experience, now weíre down at the bottom of the page where I might not see it.

I was reviewing a candidateís resume and in chronological order his paramedic certification was at the bottom of the page. I asked him, ďWhat are the most important items on your resume? He said, my Firefighter 1 and Paramedic Certification.Ē They were at the bottom of the page where they might be missed. We put those items on top so those are the first things that hit you. We put the dates on the right side of the page where it can be referenced. Once you put the dates on the right-hand side of the page, you list your experience in order of importance, not just in chronological order. This makes a big difference.

My suggestion for a firefighter resume format: Name, Address, Phone number & e-mail address, professional experience, education, volunteer and community service. Thatís all you need. Nothing more. Nothing less. Keep it simple.

Make a photocopy because you never know when youíre going to that job interview. I talk to people who have put in applications and resumes, and six to eight months later, they donít have a copy and donít remember what theyíve put down.

After applying the following format a candidate wrote:
    I never realized until now how hideous my resume really was. I don't need my resume very often, but when I do it's nice to know it's mint! I can be confident in that now. Wow, what a dramatic difference. Much easier to read and pleasing to the eye.Ē

From another candidate:

Well Iím sorry to say that at 37 years old I thought I knew how to put together a resume. I sent an e-mail to Captain Bob with a simple question. He asked me to fax over the resume for his review. OUCH, man did that hurt!! It came back with all kinds of ďwho caresĒ and scribble marks all over it.

Well you know what? I have never had a resume look so good in my life and with two pages and years of classes, I thought there was no way it could be one page. Boy do I still have a lot to learn! I advise you to give Captain Bob a chance to look at your resume too. You might just be surprised by what you see. Thanks, ó Allan

Resume Format:

Carl Mcfly
    1284 Main St.
    Kensington, Ca 94588
    Phone: 510-286-5890 e-mail: Iwantafirejob@aol.com

OBJECTIVE: To achieve a level within the fire service.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

Firefighter Fire Department, CA 2-00 Present
    Duties include but are not limited to fire suppression in structural as well as wild land environments and emergency medical services under highly stressful emergency conditions. Also, fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance under the supervision of a Captain, always focusing on providing quality customer service.
    Engineer (Acting) 2-03 Present

Firefighter Fire Department (Auxiliary) 3-99 2-00
    Perform in a probationary capacity under emergency situations, fire suppression, emergency medical services, also fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance.

EMT Ambulance Service, CA 3-99 2-00
    Perform under emergency situations; emergency medical services under the direction of Redondo Beach and L.A. County Fire Department Paramedics. Vehicle and station maintenance and Code-3 driving.

INSTRUCTOR Emergency Response CPR Training 3-03 Present
    Adult, Child, & Infant CPR training for the community as well as for the professional rescuer.

Owner/Operator Pool Company, CA 5-97 2-00
    Service and repair of residential and commercial pools and spas according to County Health Department specifications.

EDUCATION
    Bachelorís Degree EMT Defib and Combitube certified
    Firefighter I Red Cross certified CPR Instructor
    Firefighter II Federal Red Card System Member
    Driver/Operator State certified Class B Driverís License

ACTIVITIES
    Member of State University Track and Field Team.
    Member of State University X-Country Team.
    Volunteer for Hubbs Institute White Sea Bass Population Restoration Project.
    Volunteer for Red Cross on various projects.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I think you should include a resume with your application AND be prepared to hand a copy to each potential interviewer.
    When I interviewed, it was in front of a panel of seven people. I made sure to greet and shake hands with each person and when the time was appropriate, had each one a resume. I also kept a copy in front of myself incase I lost my thought, or forgot to mention something (interview nerves). you can get a neat looking folder/binder to bring your materials with you (resumes,pen).

This extra effort on your part will show that you came prepared for the interview and may be the little thing that could help you when it comes to decision time. Good Luck!

Submitting one with your application is a good idea. When you go to the interview have copies available. I have interviewed one candidate who actually came in and said, "Good day, my name is Joe Smoe and thanks for taking the time to interview me. I have copies of my resume with me if you care to have one while you interview me."

He was impressive, calm and in control. He left it to us to decide if we wanted one....

Good luck.

On another note: Bob, isn't it a violation of the WT TOS for you to advertise using a link to your site in your post? I was called on the proverbial carpet for it.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

AND be prepared to hand a copy to each potential interviewer.
    It's your choice. But believe it or not, the candidate is not running the interview. You don't want any surprises in your interview. All you have to do is **** off one rater and your score could drop you out of the running.

I can tell you after being on over 100 interview panels this just doesnt't play as good as it sounds to start handing out resumes when you walk into the room. If you have the opportunity to submit a resume make sure it arrives in enough time to be placed in your file. We will look at it before you walk into the room. If you're thinking you are going to hand out your resume we might glance at but not read it. If you try this caper of trying to hand out, yet, an addtional resume it will upset the normal flow of the interview.

And, glacing down reading your own resume could be taken as insulting to the panel and smells of not really being prepared.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 03-13-2005 at 09:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd have to disagree. Having your resume out in front of you as an EMERGENCY REFERENCE incase you stumble will look better than sitting there with a case of the babbles. Not any one person has all the answers. Look neat, be prepared, practice answering questions BEFORE the interview and stick with it. its the best job out there!!

shake hands with each person
    Good suggestion.

Having your resume out in front of you as an EMERGENCY REFERENCE incase you stumble will look better than sitting there with a case of the babbles.
    I see nothing wrong with this either. Having been through many interviews, I understand that people are nervous or can be nervous during the process. You can usually tell if the person is just nervous as opposed to out in left field. A person having a resume to glance at would most likely not cause me to go into alarm.

Ok...Now we have given BOB a chance to advertise for the 3rd time in this thread.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Default Timing??????

You can do this anyway you want.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't part of the interview process trying to determine if a candidate can prepare to work in a stressful situation, make it through the academy and being placed on the floor to be able to respond to anything they might throw at them?

If you have to take in notes to review to make it through the oral, will you need the same to function in the position?

After witnessing several candidates attempt to read from a script I don't believe it's putting their best foot forward. It interfers with their timing, inflection, causes to add in lots of pause fillers like an's, ums, yu knows and become monitone.

No doubt many can have butterflies. The trick is to get them all to fly in the same formation that counts. There are better ways to prepare.

We report. You decide.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Default Ok, my turn...

Ok, I admit, I have failed. Failed probably atleast 20
    times at Firefighter oral boards. Why? Because I didnt
    have my lines down. I wasnt prepared in my head.
    (Now I am)

YOU NEED TO BE READY WITHOUT YOUR RESUME BEFORE YOU
    WALK IN THE DOOR.

"Why do you want to be a Firefighter?" Ummm...One moment
    while I look at my notes. Ummm...Do you see the actors
    look at the scrip during the final shot? No, ofcourse not.

Are you going to have the IFSTA manual inside the
    burning building with you during fire attack? No.

Get a clue, my friend. Have your lines down. Know your
    work history and where youve been. No need to look down
    at a script/resume during the interview process.

I am speaking from experience, not because I know Capt.
    Bob. Know your lines, know your past and now yourself.
    Be ready ahead of time. Stoppping to look down at a resume
    only looks unprepared and slows down the interview process.

The guy after you might be more ready and get the job.

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-15-2005 at 01:31 AM.

Forum Member

Default Preparation

Interview Test Anxiety?

I just took my first Board today and after embarrassing myself and boring the hell out of the gentlemen interviewing me, I wanted to enlist your help for any future interview I might have.

Youíre not alone. I often hear from candidates who say they bombed or get real nervous going into or during their oral boards.

On a recent phone call I had difficulty understanding the caller. I thought we had a bad connection or he was on a cell phone. I said, ďIím sorry I canít understand what youíre saying?Ē After another attempt by the caller, I again said, ďIím sorry I canít understand what youíre saying?Ē During the third attempt I realized the candidate was stuttering.

He had read this posting from one of our candidates and wanted to know what he could do to prepare:

To make a long story short, nothing counts until you have the badge, nothing. For all of the candidates out there that donít believe this, try passing and ranking #1 on orals with a stuttering problem . . . I did. Thanks Captain Bob---Dave.

The panel expects you to be somewhat nervous. When candidates become overly nervous, their mouth goes as dry as the Goby Desert, the panel members can be a little stressed too. When this happens, I suggest the candidate stop, gather their thoughts and tell the panel, ďIím real excited about this opportunity and Iím nervous about making the right impression.

This seems to clear the air, relaxes the candidate and the panel members. Itís out in the open now and the panel members will do their best to extend gestures across that long table to help you relax. The panel might even let you revisit a previous question like the following candidate:

I completed my first sentence...and went completely blank!! I mean BLANK!! I actually felt a tumbleweed roll through my head!

I stammered a little, chuckled once and had nothing to offer! I looked into each of their eyes kind of laughing to myself and received a couple chuckles in return, and then one of the panel members threw me a bone and offered to move on to the next question in which I offered a heartfelt "Thank you, that would be excellent".

From that second on, I was crystal clear and the remainder of my interview was totally solid. I was calm, I didn't panic, spoke clearly and offered insightful answers. I was then offered to revisit my "blank out" question, and somehow the flood-gates opened and this time answered that question like it was the only source of knowledge I possessed in my head.

Getting back to the candidate on the phone, as soon as he told me he doesnít usually stutter, I gave him the above solution, it was out in open just like in an oral board, he relaxed and amazingly enough stopped stuttering. He opened up, his personality came forward as he gained confidence. He was going to try this formula on his next interview.

The more you practice with a tape recorder the more it will smooth things out.

You can find more about stuttering here: http://www.eatstress.com/stuttering.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 03-15-2005 at 06:55 AM.

Bob continues to advertise.....
    BMI Investigator

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by captstanm1
    Bob continues to advertise.....
    Yes he does.

But I have concluded that the TOS are null and void. I have reported posts that advertise. I have reported the post in Sipowicz thread that drops the F bomb. I have recently reported the post that uses the S word...and ALL have been ignored by the Web Team. I don't even know if there is a Web Team anymore. If there is, I am certain that I will be banned.

I am currently looking into the possibility of getting my own website. I am going to advertise my instructional services on here in every single thread. Nothing can be done.

And once again. this is nothing personal against Bobby. Much of the info he puts out is good. Some is blatantly wrong. My problem is the baltant disregard of the TOS by advertising products and services.

Thread Information