Thread: Bad FDNY rumor

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bad FDNY rumor

has anyone else been hearing a rumor of the list being frozen at the end of the summer????

Forum Member

Default Why?

What is the reasoning behind this hiring freeze? I would call your investigator before believing any rumor (since they are usually abundant and false)

Forum Member

Default Bad rumor

I heard the same thing. Albeit from a very shaky source at best. It's disheartening to hear either way. I pray to God its false.

Forum Member

Guys I talked to an investigator last week and she told me an approx. schedule for sending out packets and at 3300 she put me at next March. She mentioned nothing about a hiring freeze. She did say we would be at about 1500 by next class. She really didn't make it sound like there was any talk of a freeze. To tell you the truth she left me with an positive outlook at 3300,

MembersZone Subscriber

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i guess the best thing to do is like everyone said, dont jump right into it as being true. im sure you guys know the way i felt when i heard this. just keep praying for the best and keep the faith. be safe men. farmfire- thanks for that news, i can always use something to motivate me to keep workin hard, especially after hearing rumors like that. take care

MembersZone Subscriber

Big Frank i think this rumor is stirring the pot because of the whole lack of minority issue. but i really dont understand why that should cause a hiring freeze

MembersZone Subscriber

yea i agree. haha how did you know my name? drop me a PM. be safe brother

Forum Member

Relax guys they are not going to freeze the list. Its most likely a rumor b/c the Vulcan society had the justice dept start a prob into unfair hiring practice. Even though we all know it is the most fair system in the U.S.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets just say we r neighbors. u r co 26 i am co o9 bug guy. how many people u know from station 9. i'll give u a hint. i have a little bit of a tan.

MembersZone Subscriber

FDNYRULES71 i agree but how come there are not alot of minorities in the fdny. especially in a city like new york. who's race diversity is probably the largest in our country and minorities do not even make up not even 25% of the department. they make up a % lower than 10. i'm not tryin 2 start a ****ing contest but i'm on the outside looking in and have toured up there before and have not seen many minority or women firefighters. if u can educate me on what maybe i dont know or i am missing for i am very interested in knowing

MembersZone Subscriber

If they don't apply....it's pretty difficult for them to get hired.

It's ironic though you know.....the application percentage of minorities mirrors the percentage of minorities on the job. It's a joke, the city will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars literly handing the applications to minorities throughout the city, but the white guy on the outside needs to pay to take the exam when the fee is waived for certain other groups. Things like that make it such a joke. NYC has one of the best set up hiring procedures, and it's not even the FD who does the hiring, it's a seperate city agency. Everyone is upset that the FD isn't doing enough to create diversity when in reality it's not their fault at all.

Forum Member

Default company

Originally posted by FFthomas9
    Lets just say we r neighbors. u r co 26 i am co o9 bug guy. how many people u know from station 9. i'll give u a hint. i have a little bit of a tan.
    My question is not exactly on the topic.What are co 26 and co 9 you refering to. Are you with FDNY already or other Fire dept?

MembersZone Subscriber

nah thats not FDNY company #'s brother hey brother i figured out the riddle, not too hard . how are ya? be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

and to answer your question i honestly have no idea why their are not alot of minorities on the job. but i will say that ive experienced the hiring pracitces of other departments "im sure you know what i mean" and FDNY is hands down the most fair. you work your *** off for the job you WANT and if your lucky they reach your number - in sequential order. all departments should do it like this - starting from # 1 and going down. it shouldnt matter if your black, white purple, or pink. be safe

Forum Member

Default Why so few minorities?

job you WANT
    Those that don't want it, don't apply and don't get hired. Instead of DOJ investigating why there are so few minorities on FDNY, they should investigate why so few minorities put forth the effort to apply.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

FF THOMAS,
    I am not by any means trying to be insensitive to the minorities. However, the city of New York utilizes a completely different testing agency for hiring minorities...DCAS. The test is scantron mulitple choice and if you do well you are assigned a list number. There is NO secret society in the FDNY that discriminates against minorities. The truth is that the city has a minority recruitment unit that literally goes to high schools and neighborhoods and hands out applications. The problem exist in the fact that the return rate and the people who show up for the test is typically low in the minority community. Firefighting is typically a tradition oriented career the "family business." If the minorities do not study and do not do well on the test it is not the city's fault its the persons fault. One reason the FDNY produces such good candidates is that everyone on the job deserves to be on the job. The FDNY might not have a lot of minorities but the ones they have I can vauche for are typically top knotch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Marting. me and udfd26 are from the same county and that's our fd numbers.

fdnyrule71 i do not think it's an issue of being insensitive but i dot think its an issue of being over looked. i am fully aware the fdny does not control the hiring process at all but i think they will be keeping a lot closer eye on it. as an afircan american myself i think for such a large agency like the fdny and the number of applicants they get that the city itself does a good job handling everything. i did not think that i was going to be taking the agility test soo soon. i've also tested for a lot of other fire departments and there's been only one department just recently i tested for that i was totally against how they went about giving your test results on that day and if u wanted to be considered you had to wait there that day and get your results. i'm not going to name the department but i drove almost 3 hrs and used all three hourse for the test. i was done for the day. but for speakin for myself i've seen some very good over all recruiting methods by fire departments.

Forum Member

thanks ffthomas9
    One guy i know just started academy on march 1.he told me it is pretty rough there.one proby quit on the first day.he thinks it was because of the yelling, screaming and shouting. Before i will go there i will have someone scream at me for a couple of days, just to get used to it.time spend it the military must come in handy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a relevant article off Inside the FDNY:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider...105_3205.shtml
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Forum Member

FFTHOMAS,
    I appreciate your objective viewpoints on the matter. I absolutely agree that the situation should not be overlooked that there is a real lack of minorities in the FDNY. However, I honestly believe that the city is as fair as possible in its hiring practices. Furthermore, the tax payers deserve the best possible candidates be it white, black, purple yellow. As a caucasin I am also seeing a great deal of reverse discrimination among such cities as Philadelphia. The FDNY assigns a list number not prejudice to race, creed, or sexual preference. You are right there is a serious minority problem but the way to overcome the problem is to encourage minorities to test not to alter the testing policy or else it will just create resentment. Once again I appreciate your thoughts on the issue. Take it easy.

MembersZone Subscriber

fdnyrules 71
    i see that we agree on a lot of things. i just think it's going to be long time when places like the fdny will full cross over into the color and gender barrier and welcome minorities with open arms. as for philly i've heard some of the horror of how things used to be there. it was a tough place for minorities, and women at one point especially during the rizzo era. i mean philly has only its second black mayor and i believe first black police commissioner. but i'll end our discussion on something positive. i think no matter of color or gender that a person deserves a fair chance at such a job. and if any person is willing to risk his or her life to save someone else's and make a carreer out of doing such a heroic job the color or gender should not stand in the way of the taxpayers life who ultimaly is the victim in the case we are talking about. be safe brother. wish me luck i'm way down on the fdny list. but keeping hope alive.

Forum Member

BEST OF LUCK BROTHER SEE YOU ON THE JOB SOMEDAY!

Default fdny

guys just a heads up i'm in the academy right now,if you are offended by getting yelled at in your face this might not be the academy for you.For guys that were in the military as i was you have a big advantage as you are used to it.Good luck to you guys waiting on the list its worth it

Forum Member

Default CFR-D

I was hoping someone could tell me how many hours the CFR-D class is? I live out of state and am trying to figure out how to get certified in NYS. Does anyone know if they offer accellerated courses? Also any phone numbers that anyone may have would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Thread Information