Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FEMA Grant Narrative Help

Is there anyone from the FEMA panel willing to read my narrative and give me some pointers? Or is there anyone offering suggestions....Please respond....Any help will be appreciated..Thanks!

Forum Member

post your email address and I'll reply to you............

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

I am working on our grant for SCBA and PPE. The total for 15 SCBA, Compressor, and 20 sets PPE is around $107,000. We ran 118 ambulance calls, and 66 fire calls last year. I am concerned that we might score low because of too much money for a smaller dept.

Any thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

k3,
    What's your population & community classification and also how many total members at your dept?

MembersZone Subscriber

Population 1,500
    Rural Classification
    20 members

MembersZone Subscriber

So, your total call volume was 184?

MembersZone Subscriber

k3twpfire,

What is the issue with the SCBA?
    What is the issue with the PPE?
    Why are you looking for a compressor?

MembersZone Subscriber

Total call volume was 184

PPE:

10 years old, torn, ripped, unsafe for firefighting operations

SCBA:

15+ years old, no spare parts available, many packs out of service due to no spare parts. Purchased used from another department.

Spare bottles are steel, date to 1979, quickly going out of service due to repair issues and no spare parts.

COMPRESSOR:

15+ years old, 1100 hours on it, 3rd generator hand-me-down. Again lack of parts to fix, skyrocketing cost to fix.

We fill bottles for several fire departments, and the local high school fire science program.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Sounds like the beginnings of a narrative right there to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, that is how my narrative starts.

My question was given my demographics is asking for $108,000 to much?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Confucious says: Three items a laundry list does not make.

There are departments with less than 100 calls buying $250K trucks with grant funds. I say have at it. I mean, you need the stuff, it's expensive and you can't afford to buy it on your own, and it's not like you're asking for anything out of the ordinary.

MembersZone Subscriber

k3twpfire,

Based on your answers to my questions, you do have the justification for new equipment. In regards to the question of too much $$$$ for your demographics. I don't think anyone can tell you one way or the other. Obviously there are alot of factors that go into computer scoring and the peer review with population, department size and call volume as a small portion of it. If you explored all possibilities and alternatives, I believe the figure is not out of line for new equipment.

Hopefully there is a department out there with similar demographics that could shed a little more light on your question whether successful or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds reasonable to me.

FY04 I wrote our successful grant for $90K. Tiny rural town with 35 mi sq district. 15 sets PPE @$1500 for 16 man dept. 12x SCBA @ $4900, $ for a SCBA frag containment can, + mis $ for 3x water supply improvement projects. We were probably getting close to a laundry list. We could not afford any of it and our existing equipment was same situation as you. You have WAY more calls than we do.

I think this year there is going to be a lot of $ a few equipment apps. And a lot of vehicle apps chasing very limited $. That said, we are applying for a tanker/pumper grant as that is our only remaining major equipment shortfall. We could never solve the problem from available local assets. Long odds though. Seems to me FEMA is going to have to start putting more $ into vehicles, after 5 years the turnout gear/SCBA issues have been solved for hundreds+ of depts. Or are we going to start replacing 3-5 year old gear?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am thinking we have great chance this year. From what I hear, lots of departments have received new gear and airpacks. Reading the guidance, gear and airpacks are high priority. Looks like many departments will be putting in for lower priority projects. 0 for 4 on the FIRE ACT grants for us

What we applied for each year:
    Year 1: Vehicle
    Year 2: Vehicle
    Year 3: SCBAs (We would have received it if we had a better narrative IMHO)
    Year 4: Hose (Low priority, we should have stuck with SCBA and written a better narrative)

I have taken over writing of the grants for our department after we got rejected this year. All 4 years the chief wrote the grant with limited input from others on the department. I wrote a 2004 FPG grant and we got funded first round.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can also look at when your Dear Johns were sent those previous years to see how competitive the app. was. If it went really early, like first round of DJs, then no one read it on panel review, more than likely, and the computer scored it very low.

I think your project sounds like a very viable project and your numbers aren't too out of line with depts. around here I have seen funded. I hope your mutual aid numbers are good (both directions) - as it's one thing that carries some weight in the computer scoring.

MembersZone Subscriber sdff1520's Avatar

We were awarded $75,000 for replacement of structural PPE, and a new compressor, cascade, and fill/containment station. lower pop than you, lower call volume, but much larger square mile coverage. The numbers don't sound at all unreasonable to me. GOOD LUCK!
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber sfvfdchief's Avatar

Do not know if this helps. Our department sounds alot like yours. We ran 171 engine company calls in 2003. We were awarded the following in january of this year:

20 sets turn out gear
    20 scba mask
    1 mobile cascade system with compressor

We wrote the grant ourselve, received 55,000 dollars

MembersZone Subscriber achief15's Avatar

I think the main point is that you need well equipped firefighters, regardless of the number of runs. Properly protected firefighters are probably our biggest asset. So if you need it.... ask for it! We fought collectively for these grants, now is the time for our departments and communities to reap the rewards. I just hope the President doesn't keep trying to reduce funding. He has tried, so pay attention folks. Career, Volunteer, Union, Non-Union... we are all in this together.

Thread Information