Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Volunteer" Pennsylvania State Police can arrest you!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05069/468958.stm

Amazing that this is still on the books!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I did enjoy seeing the ad for volunteers at the bottom of the page.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

The only thing that surprises me about this is that it didn't take some poor, inncoent bystander getting killed or seriously injured to get someone in the state legislature to take some action. I would have bet real money against it...just because I know rural Pennsylvania sooooooo well.

About three-fourths are men, age 55 or older, said one of their officers, Kevin Ball, 47, who lives in Crawford County and works as a security guard at Conneaut Lake park.
    This says it all, doesn't it. I wondere what the qualifications are to be a member, the level of training, etc.

My guess is very little for both!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Opportunity Knocks..................

Can we send this tidbit to all the Media? They get into the Cops Union/Volunteer thing, they'll leave us alone........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

"We can't have people going around saying they're state police when they're not state police," Logan said.
    WRONG! According to that law....they ARE state police.

StayBack....are you a poleeeece man?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    WRONG! According to that law....they ARE state police.

StayBack....are you a poleeeece man?
    good, and here I was thinking I was the only one that read this. they were incorporated before the PASP, and they have been on the books since before the SP. news flash, the PaSP are named after these volunteers!!!

some outtakes from the article:
    The Crawford/Erie group was even officially sanctioned and empowered by a state law in 1872. The law -- now under attack by the state police union -- allows the private group to wear uniforms with insignia reading "state police," to carry weapons, to have a marked police vehicle, to detain suspects and make arrests.

"It's a dangerous situation, a scary situation, and I'm concerned," Miller told the Senate Appropriations Committee. The Pennsylvania State Police, who now number about 4,300, weren't officially formed until 1905, 33 years after the Crawford/Erie group came into being.
    see, the volunteers were created by law in 1872, and the other state police in 1903. so now the new guys are ****ed that the older group is displaying their name
    But there are certain obvious identification problems between the volunteer group and the real Pennsylvania state police. One is the similarity in names, said state Police Sgt. Bruce Edwards, president of the State Troopers Association.
    again, according to the Pa laws, the 1872 group might be considered the "real state police."

and stayback, watch it now, this thread might be turning into a paid vs. volunteer thing
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

LOL!! I thought this would put a new spin on the tired old Vollie/Paid thing...

I am curious as to George's response to this one.
    Last edited by StayBack500FT; 03-15-2005 at 09:23 AM.

E6511

What an awesome idea! Think of the money the nation would save if they fired 2/3 of the law enforcement in this nation and replaced them with volunteers! I mean, it's good enough for the fire service, right?
    Seriously, this reminds me of the "constables" we have around here. It's an elected office, held over from years and years past. They have the same powers as a deputy sheriff, pretty much. Up until a few years ago, there was no training requirments for this position. Just buy yourself a uniform, a pistol, and a surplus cruiser, and you're ready to go! Come to think of it, I'm not even sure there is any training requirements to this day.

This is the second time I've hit the quote button, rather than edit...DO'OH!

E6511

Forum Member

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    What an awesome idea! Think of the money the nation would save if they fired 2/3 of the law enforcement in this nation and replaced them with volunteers! I mean, it's good enough for the fire service, right?
    Yea...and when they implement this, I want to see these same communities make the cops run bingo, sell sandwiches and stand on street corners with boots begging for money to buy guns and cruisers.

My fire company is municipally funded now, but I still have flashbacks to the bad old days....I'm not the least bit bitter, though...honest...

Seriously, this reminds me of the "constables" we have around here. It's an elected office, held over from years and years past. They have the same powers as a deputy sheriff, pretty much. Up until a few years ago, there was no training requirments for this position. Just buy yourself a uniform, a pistol, and a surplus cruiser, and you're ready to go! Come to think of it, I'm not even sure there is any training requirements to this day.
    Thanks Noz! I thought Alabama was the only state with constables. Ours are exactly the same. Some are retired LEOs that are very qualified (I seem to remember my county sheriff using a couple of these to serve stuff) but many are wannabes (I wonder what you call a police whacker) that suddenly have a legal right to wear a badge and carry a gun. If Tennessee has implemented minimum standards, youre a step ahead. Alabama still has no training requirement.

NYS has an arcane 100+ year old law that gives peace officer status to a private organization, the NYS Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, which includes full right to carry concealed weapons. It is basically a front to get a carry permit which is recognized in all of NYS including NYC. Some shady characters (organized crime types) have given contribution$ to this group and have acquired LEO status.
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

If Tennessee has implemented minimum standards, youre a step ahead. Alabama still has no training requirement.
    I just checked. All you need are a few signatures to qualify for the election, get elected, and PRESTO...you're a cop. Upon election, it seems you are automatically allowed to carry a weapon, without any qualifications. I'll check further, but it looks as if that's the way it is. Most of the people who run for these offices in this area ( I think our county has 10-12 or more) are generally power-hungry whacker types, who are up to their necks in small-town politics.

After checking a couple of websites, I believe that TN requires 40 hours a year of inservice training and be range-qualified by a certified firearms instructor before being allowed to carry a firearm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    AMEN! My thoughts exactly....
    Too back it wouldnt last long. Once people started getting killed (on both sides of the law) they would quickly replace them with professionals.

Originally posted by sexauer

AMEN! My thoughts exactly....
    Too back it wouldnt last long. Once people started getting killed (on both sides of the law) they would quickly replace them with professionals.
    Oh yeah, full time paid cops never kill people. They never make mistakes. They never arrest the wrong people.

Got a bridge for sale, wanna buy it?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Oh yeah, full time paid cops never kill people. They never make mistakes. They never arrest the wrong people.

Got a bridge for sale, wanna buy it?
    I never said that they didn’t kill anyone; nor, did I say they were perfect. I was just trying to point out that there must be a good reason why the vast majority (if not all) law enforcement agencies use career personnel. I honestly believe that law enforcement is something that you have to do a lot of to stay proficient at it. If not, you forget laws, procedures, etc…(similar to the discussion on more paramedics save lives yes/no)

Also, law enforcement agencies that currently use reserves ensure that their people are trained. This is most likely due to the EXTREME liability involved with law enforcement; lets face it, fire departments are probably at the bottom of the list when it comes to lawsuits against a public agency for making a mistake (the list being fire, police, and ems). This is an area that a lot of fire departments are lacking in. How many police agencies can you show up at the office, fill out an application, and be a full blown law enforcement agent that same day? How many fire departments can you say that about? It all comes down to training….

I seriously doubt that if law enforcement went all volunteer, that the number of shootings/use of force/wrongful arrest would stay at its current level.

And in response to your question, no, I do not wish to purchase your bridge.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Wink

I have a bridge to sell you...........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

And in response to your question, no, I do not wish to purchase your bridge
    Damn, no one wants that damn thing.

It all comes down to training….
    Absolutely correct. It has nothing to do with whether they get a paycheck or not.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information