Forum Member

Default Scott 50 problems?

Has anyone on these boards had a problem with air leaks on the Scott 50 air packs. We have some leaking at the gauge and have contacted the Mgf rep. We also had a close call the other night with a member almost out of air and no alarms sounding on the pack.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scott 50 problems

We haven't had the problems that you are, but we have had air leaks at the top of the high pressure regulator at the hose fittings. Also we are having problems with the lights in the HUD not scaling down as you breathe the air down.
    Captain/EMT-P

Forum Member

Where are you from 21?
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

District Chief

Have not heard of those type of problems, but did hear of some Florida departments that have been having trouble with small (really tiny) cracks in the facepiece where the regulator attaches.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had a mysterios sound like an air horn comming from the pressure reducer upon inhalation, I took this as a high pressure leak but Tyler Fire Equipment ran a full set of flow testing on the pack and said nothing was wrong with it. This pack only does this when your down to a quarter bottle left and stops when the vibe alert quits. Along with that I have noticed that the responsiveness of the HUD lights are delayed sometimes and dont corispond with your actual air levels. The valves leak on the new carbon fiber bottles and all had to be replaced, a real pain in the *****. And I don't like the AV3000 masks. BUT I STILL LOVE SCOTT
    Last edited by Ron3427; 03-15-2005 at 01:54 AM.

Forum Member

Mike,When is the last time the packs were "benched"? We've had one or two with a very small leak at the guage.We stock the guages here those are easy.Don't have any with HUD so I can't help you much there except to tell you there have been some board issues. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-15-2005 at 04:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with Ron, the av3000 blows! Send Scott an email and tell the reps before they discontinue the 2000.

Forum Member

Default Brand New

We just recieved them about 5 months ago..new twist the pass alert went off last nite with the pack off, it must be the gods of fire and ice
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

Forum Member

Mike,That's a board problem,btdt.Get hold of your rep and tell him you need a priority service call.Have them(the new ones)all checked and make sure they do any applicable upgrades(like the "new" boards).Check the connections of all your new packs with a mister(spray bottle) of soap and water.Make sure you get the Scott repair documentation on file. Good luck,T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Brand New

Originally posted by Ltmdepas3280
    We just recieved them about 5 months ago..new twist the pass alert went off last nite with the pack off, it must be the gods of fire and ice
    No, the valve stem on the bottle is leaking. A temporary solution to this is to leave the purge valve open so your PASS won't activate and kill the batteries. Contact your dealer and they will replace the stem for FREE. This is not uncommon and eventually most of them will have to be replaced.
    Last edited by Ron3427; 03-15-2005 at 07:44 PM.

dazed and confused

Default Re: Re: Brand New

Originally posted by Ron3427

No the valve stem on the bottle is leaking. A temporary solution to this is to leave the purge valves open so your PASS won't activate and kill your batteries. Contact your dealer and they will replace the stem for FREE. This is not uncommon and eventually most of them will have to be replaced.
    Same experience to the letter in my department. All were replaced.

The leak is tiny enough to pressureize the 2nd stage, thereby activating the PASS and electronics. Walking into a station full of screaming packs was an all-too-common event (as was blaming people for not turning packs off, purging them, turning off PASS devices, etc). I think we all refused to believe that there could be a problem with a Scott SCBA...
    Last edited by Resq14; 03-15-2005 at 05:40 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Ours had a bad board,you COULD NOT shut the pass off unless you removed the batteries.Funny how you can use a product for years with NO problems but when they "new and improve it",well ? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Rescue101
    Ours had a bad board,you COULD NOT shut the pass off unless you removed the batteries.Funny how you can use a product for years with NO problems but when they "new and improve it",well ? T.C.
    do you know what year your packs were manufactured? How long before this problem started? Was it the board in the gauge/pass control? Thanks.

Forum Member

Originally posted by captstanm1
    Have not heard of those type of problems, but did hear of some Florida departments that have been having trouble with small (really tiny) cracks in the facepiece where the regulator attaches.
    The problems that have been stated on this post seem to be an O-ring problems with the noticed leaks. How often do you bench test the units? Our state requres that each unit is tested at least once a year and after an service completed.

The cracks in the face mask are a problem that Scott is aware of. If you will contact Scott or your local dealer they can advise you on the proper procedure for the replacement of the masks. I had this same problem in our department and thought that I had to purchase new masks. Turns out that they were all covered and replaced free of charge (-shipping charges), I now have 30 masks to use as replacements. I agree with the statements on the AV3000. We have one in our department and it was turned in by the user.

As for the new carbon cylinders and the PASS device activation we experienced the same problems. Also had the problems with other cylinders in our inventory. Since we are an in-house repair center we were able to make the necessary repairs with little to no down time.

Having been around the fire service for tooooooooo many years and having used most of the SCBA's available on the market SCOTT is still the best and most user friendly. We have just upgraded our units to add the HUD and EBSS. We have only experienced one minor problem with the HUD. Users stated that the lights was too bright and caused them to fixate in it. This problem has corrected itself as the user became accustomed to it being there.

Hope this information is helpfull to all.

Thread Information