MembersZone Subscriber

Default MORE of your tax dollars at work in fire fighter safety research

The Economic Consequences of Firefighter Injuries and Their
    Prevention. Final Report.

http://www.fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/NIST_GCR_05_874.pdf

This is a link to a report prepared by the National Institute of Science and Technology, Building and Fire Research Laboratory. This is another prime example of how the federal government SHOULD be involved in fire protection. Here is an excerpt from the Executive Summary that made me stand and cheer:

There is much to be done in the future if the impact of injuries to firefighters is to be reduced. To cause a drop in fireground-related injuries, preventing fires from occurring in the first place is, and always has been, the best means. In particular, controlling criminal, incendiary fires is a goal worth pursuing, since fires that are intentionally set are often more fully developed when firefighters arrive on the scene. Incendiary fires can have multiple points of origin and be fueled by accelerants so they burn faster and hotter. These are very dangerous fires. Reducing injuries that occur during training can be accomplished by better supervision, strict adherence to training guidelines and egulations, and proper preparation. Firefighters who are healthy and fit can better handle the physical requirements of the job and return to work faster if they are injured. Basic and recruit training must emphasize safety over exaggerated heroics, and drill on proper techniques. More fire departments need to take physical fitness seriously and adopt a formal program that monitors progress against goals and goals met against number and severity of injuries. There should be no compromises on using protective equipment, including SCBA.

MembersZone Subscriber

AMEN

and thanks for the link
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

edited by user
    Last edited by superchef; 08-18-2007 at 03:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by superchef
    Thank you so much for the link George

This is exactly what I needed for my next paper. I had not gone to the NIST site yet.
    The NIST site should be the FIRST site you go to.

Good luck with your paper.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Unhappy Dust collector?

Unfortunatly this report will probably become a dust collector in some government office. I see reports all the time that indicate a need for action but they usually are just read by a few and then put on the shelf. Gut feeling is we will continue to kill firefighters.

Doesn't have to happen but it will.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Dust collector?

Originally posted by pete892
    Unfortunatly this report will probably become a dust collector in some government office. I see reports all the time that indicate a need for action but they usually are just read by a few and then put on the shelf. Gut feeling is we will continue to kill firefighters.

Doesn't have to happen but it will.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Who cares if it sits dormant in "some government office"? It is up to US to stop being the "WE" that kills fire fighters.

Until issues like this are brought to the forefront, you're right, we WILL contoinue to kill FF. Most of the people on this forum do not even know where I got that piece from. But son-of-a-gun, people (not you, Pete) can spout off the specs of all the freakin' light bars and pagers. It is possible that the fire service n general will have to force-fed these types of issues.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Unhappy I agree George

I don't know anything about specs for light bars or sirens. What I do know that when a department shows up at a fully involved, thru the roof vacant house fire in the middle of no where and attempts an interior attack, they are asking to kill people.

Risk vs. benift has to be the rule.

When was the last time anyone saved a mobile home. It was either out on arrival or a total.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: I agree George

Originally posted by pete892
    I don't know anything about specs for light bars or sirens. What I do know that when a department shows up at a fully involved, thru the roof vacant house fire in the middle of no where and attempts an interior attack, they are asking to kill people.

Risk vs. benift has to be the rule.

When was the last time anyone saved a mobile home. It was either out on arrival or a total.

Stay safe,

Pete
    I could not possibly agree more.

Thread Information