Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanker amounts

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tanker amounts

All,

What is the rule of thumb price for a tanker? I have seen the price for a pumper is $225K.

Also, is there a published spread sheet for the 2004 grants? The last one i have is for 2003.

Thanks,

Hose21

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No spreadsheet, DHS didn't carry that over from USFA's running of it. I was making one but fell behind in the copy and paste from the web site.

Tanker limits vary by spec. If it's just a tanker, no pump, then the limit is lower, small PTO pump, a bit higher. True NFPA pumper-tanker (1000+gpm), probably closer to $250K since they'll run more than Class A pumpers since many end up on tandem axle chassis.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Something I noticed in the program guidance this year is that pumper-tankers are the same as a pumper this year, in regards to apparatus your dept. currently has. So, if a dept. has a fairly new pumper, it might hurt to ask for a pumper-tanker rather than strictly a tanker.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They got rid of the pumper-tanker and rescue-pumper categories, so vehicles get put in the one they represent the most. If a planned rescue truck has less than a 1000gpm pump, it's a rescue (Priority 2). If it's 1000+gpm, it's a pumper. Anything with 1,000 gallon tank or more is a tanker, regardless of pump size. So a 1500gpm, 2,000 gallon NFPA definition pumper-tanker, is just a tanker according to DHS this year.

Forum Member

I beleive that the limit is 1200 gallons, as that is what is on the app. More than 1200 is a tanker and less is a pumper. I also heard that $200,000 is the limit for a tanker.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, we're both off, it is 1250gal tank. Details, it's always in the details.

And limits are not really limits, they're limits if you do not justify your need for something that costs more. Pumper-tankers with CAFS cost more than $200K even on a commercial chassis, so they won't cut you down in that case. But a 2 man cab, 2000 gallon tank with no pump, yeah, you're not getting $300K for that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. We are looking at a commercial 2-door 2100 gl tank with a 500 gpm transfer pump for about $140k to replace a homemade 1976 2000 gl tanker, no pump.

Where did you find the 1250 gl tank size? I can not find it in the 2005 Program Guidance. The closest I can find is "When we assess the number of vehicles a department has within a particular class, we will include all vehicles with similar function. For example, we consider the following to be classifed in the "pumper" category: Pumpers, engines, pumper/tankers, rescue-pumpers, quints (with aerials less the 76 feet in length), and urban interface vehicles such as Type I, II, or III."

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It was in the notes of the PPT presentation from the workshops that you can download. I thought it was in the PG too, so I searched it but wasn't there. Searched the PPT and it was buried in the middle somewhere. It wasn't on a main slide, it was on the notes section underneath. The easiest is to hit the Print menu, then pick Slides and Notes as the print option. That way you get everything that they would have been reading from to form their schpiel at the seminars.

Thread Information