Default Narrative for bunker gear

Looking for winning narratives for bunker gear. Also wanting to know if it is a good idea to add to the budget a heavy duty washer to keep the gear clean?
    email - hakesace@nckcn.com
    Thanks
    steve

Forum Member

yes it is a good idea to get a washer/extracter per NFPA 1851.... we got 35 sets of gear,TIC,35 sets of leather boots, 35 Minitor 4 pagers and a washer/extracter on the 04 grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department received a grant for PPE in 02. I am sending the narrative portion to you. As for the extractor, it is a wise investment. (we bought an extractor and dryer a year after we got the gear) If you go to the trouble of buying new gear, you may as well do what you can to protect the investment. Even if it's just washing it ocassionally to remove diesel contaminants if you aren't that busy. I think that aspect of protecting your firefighters, both on and off the scene will weigh positively with the reveiwers. Just remember that you have to really describe your financial needs / hardships to get past the hurdles. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Turnouts were a portion of our successful grant application in 2003, the narrative can be found in these forums here

Forum Member

Default Bunker gear

When you apply for bunker gear can you also apply for a washer/extractor and a drying cabinet to dry the bunker gear?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes you can. There have been successful grants that obtained a washer along with new gear.

NFPA 1500 states, "Structural fire-fighting protective clothing shall be cleaned at least every 6 months…" (NFPA, 2002, 1500-7.1.3).

As for a dryer, I do not know of anyone getting one in a grant. It does nt hurt to try, especially if your memnbers have one set of gear and you need to get the PPE back into service quickly after washing.

Default naritive

could i get a copy too??
    Still Proud to be Community Supported

Each firefighter is also a member of the community........so it is ok for us to have an Opinion.....Heck we work for FREE

MembersZone Subscriber

fireman6433,

I'll send a copy, but I can't access your e-mail from here.

Thread Information