Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Essential... Not Required .... Engine Company Hand Tools

If you could only carry 4 hand tools on your engine .... what would they be??? Ignore the "requirements" by ISO for a moment ... these are the hand tools that you feel you truly NEED to do your job on your engine in your community.

I'll start ....
    Halligan bar
    Flathead Axe
    Closet Hook
    Sledgehammer

Note: We do not run a truck company so we usually end up doing overhaul, hence the closet hook and sledgehammer.

Spanner wrench
    Nozzle
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Halligan bar
    Flathead Axe
    Sledgehammer
    Pike pole
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Hand tools we use for our Engine work:

Radio
    TIC
    Haligan
    Axe
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Default Re: Essential... Not Required .... Engine Company Hand Tools

Originally posted by LaFireEducator

Halligan bar
    Flathead Axe
    Closet Hook
    Sledgehammer

I'd trade the sledgehammer for a TIC.

If you want non-electronic stuff, I'd have to vote for a hydrant wrench since tank water only holds out so long. . .
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

closet hook???? You must be joking. That is by and far the most worthless tool ever made. What can you do with a 3 foot hook that you can't do with a 6 foot hook or a halligan? A six foot hook would be a better idea so you could open up the fire area.

Halligan bar
    Flathead Axe
    Closet Hook
    6ft pike pole

Never had to use a sledgehammer during overhaul...
    Last edited by Ron3427; 03-15-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Lineman's pliers
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by jfTL41
    closet hook???? You must be joking. That is by and far the most worthless tool ever made. What can you do with a 3 foot hook that you can't do with a 6 foot hook or a halligan? A six foot hook would be a better idea so you could open up the fire area.
    Although I agree with you that closet hooks suck, I think the award for worst tool has to go to the Hux Bar. As a prying tool it is far inferior to the Halligan and as a hydrant wrench it's too freakin' heavy.

My four essential tools would be:
    Flathead axe
    Halligan
    6' all purpose hook
    TIC
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

What can you do with a 3 foot hook that you can't do with a 6 foot hook or a halligan?

apperntly, you don't do much work with trailer homes...
    more spefically, older models.

You will need:

1. Hydrant wrench
    2. Spanner wrench
    3. Irons
    4. 6 ft pike pole

Default 4 essential Engine company tools

[size=large]Brains![/size]

The driver/chauffeur/pump operators brain for knowing how to get to the fire and what pressures to pump at.

The hydrant man's brains to know when to charge the supply line and meet the rest of the crew on the line.

The knob/nozzle/pipeman's brain to determine the line to pull and proper method of fire attack.

Last but not least...the company officer's brain to recognize the dangers involved and keep his/her crew safe and make sure that everyone goes home!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Sledgehammer and flathead axe seems redundant. Especially when you are only picking 4 tools.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Haligan
    Flathead Axe
    TFT Multi-use Spanner Wrench
    TIC

That's what I'd want...
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Id have to go with

8lb maul (take care of flat head and sledge)
    Haligan
    Nozzle (attached to a hose, with is attached to the pumper, which is hopefully attached to a working hydrant )
    Radio
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

Originally posted by jfTL41
    closet hook???? You must be joking. That is by and far the most worthless tool ever made. What can you do with a 3 foot hook that you can't do with a 6 foot hook or a halligan?
    I'm guessing maneuver in a closet....hence it's name.....

4 tools for an engine company?

1) hose and nozzle
    2) TNT tool. used to be flat headed ax, but I used this in a training, and I think I found my new favorite tool.
    3) hydrant bag, with spanner and hyrdrant wrenches.
    4) radio.

of course, this is assuming that you have a truck company on scene to handle the truck co responsibilities.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm guessing maneuver in a closet....hence it's name.....
    Great so the member enters the building with this 3 ft. hook and all he can properly overhaul are closets...and we all know how many fires we go to that start in closets.

I've done plenty of overhaul and even some in trailers and a few closets...rare but I have done it. There is nothing you can do with a 3ft hook that you can't do with a 6 ft hook. Plus in addition to that hook it is more benefical to have a halligan nearby for prying.

The closet hook requires you to bend over to reach many things. and doesn't allow you enough distance back from the point you are pulling to avoid the falling debris.

The closet hook is not a useful tool and only limits what you can accomplish on the fireground. In my former dept I used to always take a 6ft. hook when doing truck work/overhaul. Other guys would take that closet hook and what always happened...they would have to ask me to come over and do what they couldn't reach this, that or whatever...meanwhile I never had a hard time breaking open any walls as it is very simple to puncture the wall and insert the handle end down and pull away from wall breaking the bay open. No need for a "special" limited use tool.

Carry a 6 ft. hook and halligan and that is all you will need to overhaul in most situations...a longer hook is only needed for high ceilings or tin..etc.

Many of your depts are cash strapped...well start saving money by not buying this worthless tool.

JMO

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-16-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Forum Member

We have found that the closet hook gets a lot more use than a 6' pike pole in OUR district due to the fact that we have a large number of mobile/manufactured homes and older, cramped shotgun type homes in our area ..in fact they represent a vast majority of our structure fires. As far as the sledge, we find a lot of brick homes in this area and we find the sledge a lot easier to use when it comes to having to open brick walls and fireplaces than the flathead or halligan.

As far as a TIC, was thinking more along the lines of HANDtools for thios thread. Besides, we carry it on the rescue so in our department it's not an engine company resource. And yes, a hydrant wrench and spanners are sorta essential for engine companies ... guess I sorta "assumed" they would be on the truck.

Default Just 4 tools, eh?

- hose (attack & supply) and an appropriate nozzle
    - halligan
    - flat head axe or TNT tool
    - hydrant wrench

These 4 things, in competent hands, will allow an Engine company to carry out it's most basic job - putting water on the fire. Leave all the hooks & sledges etc to the Truck Companies (at least if you're going to be limited to 4 tools on the Engine . . .).

Speaking of Truck Companies, here's my take on the closet hook debate. I have to side with the FDNY guys on this one. Most of the time, a 6' Hook and a Halligan bar will be sufficient to open any area up. If the area (say, a closet) is too tight to work with the hook, use the adz end of the halligan to pull walls & cielings. The heavier halligan bar will be just as, if not more effective at pulling materials than a 3' hook, in addition to being a thousand-times more versatile tool overall.
    Lt. John Millili
    DFD Battalion 3 - Cooper St. Station

IACOJ

Thread Information