Thread: 2 in 2 out ?

Forum Member

Default 2 in 2 out ?

I been thinking about this and I don't really understand this part, ok lets say your a busy full time Dept. you have a driver/operator, 2 firefighters, and an officer. I have heard and seen many times the officer going in with the two man crew which are on the line, he usually has his radio and TIC. Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of two in two out? When those two firefighters come out does that same officer go back in or stick with his crew while another two man crew plus officer goes in. I'm really not understanding, or when you see the practice of two men on the line and an officer does this not apply to the two in two out rule? Thanks for helping me understand. Thanks
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

OSHA has a disclaimer (!) on their regulations that states the 2 in / 2 out rule is not a minimum staffing regulation.

If there is an incipient fire or urgent rescue then the crew could be justified in sticking together and going in. If not, the second arriving engine or truck should do the 2 out until/unless they are replaced with a dedicated RIT company.

There aren't any circumstances that come to mind where four people make up an adequate response to a structure fire.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

dazed and confused

As the perfessor said, barring an "incipient fire" or "emergency rescue activities", you cannot enter an IDLH environment without two people ready on the outside AND without entering with 2 or more people on the inside. The two inside need to remain in contact (visual, audible, or physical, but not radio only). The inside team must be in contact with the outside team -- radio is permissible here.

Where many of us start to have questions and opinions is in the definitions of the exceptions... "incipient fires" and to a greater extent, "emergency rescue activities."

Search it out, we've been down this road many times before, with people far more experienced than I offering up some great information and examples.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

I know we don't follow OSHA here in Chicago so there is no 2 in/ 2 out rule here.

Forum Member

CFD..What District are you in ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

4th - west side

District Chief

Do a search.... There is another thread close by on this same subject!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

we do 2 in 2 out. there is a sector officer at the door they went in with radio contact. sector officer stays at that point no matter what crew is in. we have sector officers at each side of building(in most cases) depending on lay out. every call is differant. be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

We dont have the man power at my station to do 2in-2out, my next truck is 15 to 20 minutes away. I am only a 2 man truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work for a department at major steel company we run with a 5 man crew, 1 dispatcher 1 Officer, and 3 Emt/Firefighters. When the situation calls for an entry team the 2 Emt/firefighters automatically are the 1st entry team. While the Officer has IC and the other Emt/FF runs the truck. Although the IC and the pump operator are geared/masked out and prepared to make entry as team 2 if needed. This system works well in the industrial setting that we apply it in.

Thread Information