MembersZone Subscriber

Default Step Compressions

Anyone out-there who has any information regarding salary step compression, please send your ideas on how we should start this process outside of the negotiation phase. This has been completed.

MembersZone Subscriber

By the topic, I thought it had somthing to do with cpr. I've never heard of it, what exactly is it?

Forum Member

Are you trying to reduce the number of steps for top step firefighter? Does your Dept have Lt.s and Capt.s or Capt I and Capt II. It's not clear which steps you are referring to

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes that is the ultimate goal to reduce the amount of steps to top step Firefighter. We have capt and Lt steps as well but the main object is for F/F

Forum Member

For the purposes of comparing; Our firefighter rank has four steps. 1st year thru fourth year.First yr takes effect after probation is completed.

Decades ago we added three six month increments for probationary FFs before they hit first step.

bottom line it takes 5.5 yrs to make top step FF
    hope this helps

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea thanks, If you can remember how did you get to this point. We have 9 steps over 16 years. We're attempting to get to 5-8 steps over 10-12 years. This should take some work with the parameters in which we have to work. I'm looking for more options to help our committee.

Forum Member

This was all meet and confer negotiations. at the time adding the extra steps seemed like a big concession.
    Since it only effected the unborn the membership went for it.
    Do you use a Universe for wage and benefit comparison? If so have you done a survey?
    However you compare for negotiations if you are below average it is common to negotiate toward the average. If you are above then you may have to horse trade
    best of luck

Forum Member

We have 4 steps for firefighters. These annual salaries went into effect on Jan. 1, 2005.

Recruit (Probationary firefighter for 12 months) $29,291.81
    Fire Private I (1-2 years) $41,827.68
    Fire Pravate II (2-3 years) $44,841.31
    Fire Private II (3+ years) top $46,430.68

Driver (no steps) $49,356.94

Lietenant (Company Officer, no steps) $56,035.32

Battalion Chief (entry) $69,114.45
    Battalion Chief (6 months +) $71,924.11

Division Chief (no steps) $81,594.03

Firefighters must pass Firefighter I & II within required time limits or be terminated. With this exception all steps are automatic and based strictly on time.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information