Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Florida NREMT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Florida NREMT

I am a Florida Firefighter 2 and a NREMT-b
    does anybody know if i can get hired before getting my Florida EMT or do i have to wait.

Also are there any departments that will hire with out EMT or are vary lenient on backgrounds?

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Check out Florida State Firefighters Association website for job openings.Some departments will hire without any EMT training. South Bay has opening for reserves on that site.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some departments will require a Florida State firefighter certification to apply, while others will hire first and then train and certify applicants after they are hired. Florida is one of several states that will not accept certifications from other states. If you have been certified in another state, you can challenge the test in Florida to obtain the certification or retake the course at a Florida Fire Academy. Because all fire departments in South Florida include Emergency Medical Services (EMS), fire departments will tend to favor applicants who have successfully completed the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) course. Some will even require an EMT certification to apply, and others will give hiring preference for it.

Since 1950, Don McNea Fire School (fireprep.com) has prepared over 40,000 fire applicants with our entry level seminars and products. Fireprep.com has over 250 pages of FREE information and careers articles to help you reach your goal of becoming a firefighter.

Go to http://www.fireprep.com/ and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter that currently has over 13,000 subscribers

MembersZone Subscriber

To my knowledge you cannot function as an EMT in the state without a state license. You need to call the National Registry and speak with them soon. Getting your state license might be as easy as faxing some papers. You are required to submit a copy of your National Registry certificate and wallet card, as well as a Statement of Good Standing (DH Form 1164) completed by the National Registry. There is a time limit though. You had better call the state EMS office as well. DO IT NOW!

Florida Department of Health
    Bureau of Emergency Medical Services
    (850) 245-4440

National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians
    (614) 888-4484

MembersZone Subscriber

You are already in a good positon having your FL fire cert and a NREMT-B. Most people are in a bind because it is difficult to challenge the fire cert. Anyways, you need to sit for the state exam. They will not hand you a state cert even if you are NR EMT. By having that card, that allows you to challenge their state test. It is offered every month in several different locations. As for the employment question, most departments want you to have a state cert before you apply. That way they dont lose out if they hire you and you are unable to get a state cert. Central FL on down to South FL are very strict about having a state EMT before they will talk to you because they all do Fire/EMS. You can try your luck in the north part of the state where they still have seperate departments and more rural departments.

What did you mean by lenient on the background? Need more info. Hate to pry, but you asked.

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

i agree wit AKflightmedic, you need to challenge floridas emt test, i have been trying to pass the medic test for awhile now, cant seem toi get high enough. anyone know for sure why Florida is so strict on not accepting other state certs for fire and ems?....i had heard it was because of a past BEMS director giving them out to freely but am not certain now. good luck study hard.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

MembersZone Subscriber

In my dept's recent hire , like most you will need the STATE EMT/MEDIC, the national is nice and when you finish either EMT/MEDIC in Florida now you take the national before the state, Then you have to applie for the state if you have passed.
    EXNYTRUCKIE

"343"

FTM PTB EGH KTF DTRT
    WWW.FOOLSINTERNATIONAL.com

MembersZone Subscriber

i had a steroid charge,
    I was not convicted of the charge, I received a withhold on it which in Florida is not a convection

Thread Information