Some Guy

Default Tax money "At Work"

Newark Uses Federal Anti-terrorism Money to Buy Garbage Trucks
    (Trenton, March 15, 2005) Republicans are trashing Newark for using homeland security money to buy ten new air conditioned garbage trucks.

From the AP: The News in Photographs
    Add News Headlines to Your Web Page or Corporate Intranet

Angry GOP lawmakers are calling it a misuse of money and have asked New Jersey's Democratic Senators Jon Corzine and Frank Lautenberg to denounce the practice.

A Newark city spokeswoman says the trucks have special features that would make them useful in a disaster.

The nation's Homeland Security says the money shouldn't have been used to buy trash trucks and the city might have to return the cash.

The trucks costs $1.7 million. But the spokeswoman isn't saying how much of that came from Homeland Security and from the city budget.

Acting Governor Codey and the state's congressmen have criticized the Homeland Security funding formula, saying it short changes the Garden State relative to the risk of terrorist threats.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved
    This space for rent

Forum Member

A Newark city spokeswoman says the trucks have special features that would make them useful in a disaster.
    I'd like to see him name 2 of the "special features"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo

I'd like to see him name 2 of the "special features"
    Picking up the remains and helping hide any substance or bomb maybe ????
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

Hey! Remember that NJ is famous for it's corrupt politicians. This is pretty small on our scale.

This was on the news channels last night, the Air Conditioned cabs are one of the special features as it would allow a driver to stay in the vehicle while they were have hazardous materials loaded into the back of the truck.

Their other justification was that in case of a tornado, hurricane, or some other natural disaster, these would be needed to remove debris so emergency vehicles can traverse the roads with no problem. (Don't worry about the fact that Newark has never been hit with a tornado or hurricane).
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Amazing.... I would consider that fraud......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Read something in today's paper that stated they really DID NOT use Homeland Security grant money, so it seems like they are out of the woods. Oh, and one of the uses of these new-fangled trucks? To use as a barricade for high security buildings(according to the mayor,as quoted in the paper)!!

WASHINGTON - Embattled Newark officials hauled out a new story yesterday to explain the purchase of 10 state-of-the-art garbage trucks with federal funds - trashing their initial boasts that Homeland Security footed the bill.

Monteilh said Newark's initial press release, which said the trucks were funded through the city budget and "Homeland Security grants," was wrong.

Edited to include the NY Post article
    Last edited by firepics; 03-16-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Thread Information