Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone from Missouri?

The Missouri thread is kinda dead. I figured i'd post something in it and i have a question. I'm 20 years old currently taking EMT and Fire Fighter 1 and 2 and HazMat awareness and op's. After those classes end in May i'm going to get my associates in fire science. How beneficial would this degree be to me?

Default Re: Anyone from Missouri?

Originally posted by joshgabler
    i'm going to get my associates in fire science. How beneficial would this degree be to me?
    Some depts require it, it can only help anywhere else.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Hey Brothers.

Josh,

Here is my take, and I have been in either Fire and/or EMS in many areas of the state.

The big FD's (KC, STL, SPFD, Columbia) don't care what education you have, they would probably prefer you don't have any, like a clean slate. They like to take fresh minds and mold them to their way of doing things, which is the way it should be done. So degrees, Haz Mat...etc. won't get you a cup of coffee in the process.

The smaller FD's surrounding the big cities usually provide some form of EMS, probably accounting for 70% of their work load. So, they want paramedics because ALS is now the standard for either transporting or first response FD's. You could have 2 college degrees and 10 years with FDNY, and if you dont have a medic license, you can't even get an application.

So, here is what I did when I was 20 years old.

- Finish college
    - Go to medic school at night, it'll take you 1-2 years.
    - Work as an EMT at a private ambo on the nights you aren't in school (you can study in an ambo while sitting in a gas station parking lot in Independence at 4AM, this I know).
    - When you are 22-23 you will have a college degree, medic license and EMS experience. All you need is a good test and you are set.

It worked for me, I was on a career dept. 3 months out of college and have had a fun 8 years so far.

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Howdy, southwest missouri firefighter here. Im on Logan-Rogersville which is just outside of Springfield. I have tried to get on Springfield once but did not have EMT-Basic yet. Now I am a Basic and am gonna apply again. I have one semester of my Fire Science degree left. A lot of the higher chiefs on Springfield have said that if you have the degree, you have a better chance of getting a higher position such as batt. chief or something like that. As far as firefighters, anymore they are looking for experience over newbies. Springfield did away with their academy a few years ago and now they have a 4 or 5 week intro class.
    Around here, in Greene County, most departments are just first responders. We do not have a lot of ALS departments due to the fact that we have 2 ambulance services in our county. My department is currently trying to become liscensed as ALS. Most of the bigger cities are requiring you to become EMT Basic before you can be hired. As well as FF 1 and/or 2. Hope this helps.

Thread Information