Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

Default Foot in mouth disease.

Our county has just made the switch from volunteer to combination , they hired alot of volunteers , which were happy with , I'm glad I really am others are disgruntal about it. Well a couple days ago the newspaper was asking one of the EMS supervisers what she thinks about fire department running calls side by side with ems , these are two of her responses " they only get in our way anyways " and also " I've never seen anyone transported on a hose bed " .

I would love to find the article our of the paper but not sure which one it was , one of the ems supervisers who is also a volunteer told me about this tonight. Just figured I'd tell people about this nice lady superviser.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

Is she a paid member or a Vol?
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

Our county was a fully volunteer county , with a paid seperate ems system , well now that the paid guys are coming in the paid guys will be running calls side by side with the ems system , they both will be toned out at the same time , as volunteers we run ems assistance at only theyre request , for a driver or another body or lifting assistance things like that well the paper asked her how do you feel about fire running side by side with you to a call and thats how she replied.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

No doubt its a strange situation for both but i would believe comments like that only to make things worse. Wouldnt suprise me if a higher up didn't have a few comments for her. Our county All volunteer and now 4 paid persons has faced many challenges in Vols pointing fingers at the paid members and vice versa. Seems as there is noway to make it go away.
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

There are only going to be 3 paid stations , and 27 new paid members the rest of the county volunteer , but only 1 station will probably have a problem with the change and thats mine , were the black sheep the deputy chief doesnt like us and other members on the department are just old school , this is bullcrap our department mentality of thinking , instead of the county joining as in one fire rescue they want it to be like the old days where , each station was a rival and so on , but times are changing but I think some tensions are going to get high because the members havnt even came in yet they start I believe the end of april and people are already to fight , we dont have a station right now we only have a huge bay area , theyre tearing down our whole inside of the station and rebuilding it for the paid guys to bad when a pipe broke one time they didnt act this fast to fix it also when anythign breaks or needed repairs for our department it went broken forever , but anything happened on the east side it was fixed and noone knew . I think he just favors them more than us and its true everyone knows it , just nothing you can do about it I have no problems what so ever Im just going to sit back and watch the fireworks fly because Ive tried talking to everyone and theyre just so stubborn and set in theyre ways theyre already bashing each other.

Forum Member

I have absolutely no interest in getting anywhere near an EMS call, so I'd be thrilled silly if the EMS supervisors in my area had her attitude, and then made sure to keep us as far away from their runs as possible.

Why waste the money of a FD response along with the EMS response? IF the EMS response is adequate, why duplicate it? IF the EMS response is not adequate, fix the EMS.

I have absolutely no interest in getting anywhere near an EMS call
    I'm right there with you. I gave that up a few years ago.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I would be interested in who the supervisor was and if anything was said to her.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information