Sr. Information Officer

Post Missing Firefighter

STURGIS, S.D. (AP) - Authorities in northwest South Dakota are
    stepping up the search for a missing man who's at the center of a
    dispute over the location of a fire hall.
    Keith Carr is a Prairie City firefighter who was last seen
    Saturday on his way to Rapid City.
    He was supposed to get a motel room and fly to Las Vegas Sunday
    morning but never showed up.
    The Perkins County Sheriff says Carr was driving an orange 1979
    Chevrolet Caprice. He's 70 years old and walks with a limp.
    Carr was involved in a dispute that cost the town a federal
    grant for fire protection equipment.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Unhappy

Wow...that certainly leaves a lot unanswered...

First off, he's 70 and walks with a limp, and is still an active firefighter?

I wonder what conflict could have cost his department federal money? I am guessing that maybe they are talking about the FIRE Act grant? How would they know if this conflict were the reason for them not being awarded? FEMA doesn't exactly tell you much...unless the dept. got the grant but it was not allowed to be used for some reason or another...but I would think that something really big and perhaps really shady would have to be going on...

Why was he going to Las Vegas anyway? Vacation? Or...?

A dispute over the location of the fire hall?? A dispute over where a new one would be built, or what?

Well, I hope it all turns out okay for all that are involved...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Sounds like a case for CSI STERGIS.

District Chief

Interesting to see where this leads.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

As of this evening he hasn't been found. He is also a contractor and was apparently on his way to Vegas for a meeting.

It is not uncommon for the ranch country departments to have one or two pickups with water tank and pumps for the entire fleet. Everyone in the area can be a member and firefighter. Budgets are just enough to heat the hall and pay for insurance and necessary utilities.

I don't know the particular circumstances of the "federal money" but the local media, www.rapidcityjournal.com , is also reporting that he may have suffered a medical problem. There are a lot of areas in this part of the state with less than one person per square mile. His car is an orange Chevy with a homemade grill guard that should be easy to spot but thare are a lot of spots to disappear. There have been some local pilots flying the area also.

A couple of months ago we had an alzheimer's patient walk away from his home in a rural subdivision in the Black Hills. It took about ten days of searching including several dog teams to find his body about a mile from the house.

I hope thast they find him soon and he is still alive but chances decrease each day.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy Unfortunately....the news is not good

Rest in peace brother

Missing man found dead

By Steve Miller, Journal Staff Writer

BISON -- Keith Carr, the Prairie City man missing since Saturday, has been found dead in the Slim Buttes area south of Reva.

A local rancher checking his cattle found Carr's vehicle early Wednesday afternoon, according to the Perkins County Sheriff's Office.

Carr, 70, apparently had left S.D. Highway 79 in the South Gap area of the Slim Buttes and driven east down a trail. His car became high-centered, and Carr apparently got out and continued walking east, according to Perkins County Sheriff Kelly Serr. Carr's body was found about 2-1/2 miles east of his car.

The cause of death is under investigation, but there was no evidence of foul play, according to sheriff's officials.

Carr was reported missing by his family Monday after he failed to show up at a convention in Las Vegas, where he was headed over the weekend.

He had left home Saturday afternoon for Rapid City. Authorities discovered that Carr hadn't checked into his Rapid City motel Saturday night and didn't show up for his flight Sunday at Rapid City Regional Airport.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Rest in Peace........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

His car became high-centered,

???????

Forum Member

George,

We have a lot of dirt roads and "two track" trails in ranch country.

Some of the dirt roads receive minimumal or no maint. The "two tracks" receive no maint.

These minimumal maintenance roads develop ruts that are not fixed unless the local ranchers do it.

Apparently he went down this particular road to check an upcoming job site that he was going to move some heavy equipment to. When he became high centered, he continued walking east insted of going west towards the highway. The local speculation is that he went east because he walked with a pronounced limp that would have made it difficult for him to climb a hill to the west.

An autopsy is being conducted.

Rest in Peace

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

OK. But what does "high centered" mean?

Forum Member

Just that you hit ruts deep enough that the drive wheels of the vehicle can no longer get traction. The chassis is sitting on the ground and the ruts are deep enough that the suspension can't compensate so the wheel(s) can get traction. The ruts can be hidden by grass and weeds.

You can do the same thing in deep snow when you get enough snow compressed under the vehicle to lose traction.

Stay Safe,
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Rayr49
    Just that you hit ruts deep enough that the drive wheels of the vehicle can no longer get traction. The chassis is sitting on the ground and the ruts are deep enough that the suspension can't compensate so the wheel(s) can get traction. The ruts can be hidden by grass and weeds.

You can do the same thing in deep snow when you get enough snow compressed under the vehicle to lose traction.

Stay Safe,
    IACOJ
    Understood.

Thread Information