View Poll Results: Does your department provide dress uniforms?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Career Department, Yes

35 35.71%
  • Career Department, No

8 8.16%
  • Volunteer Department, Yes

41 41.84%
  • Volunteer Deartpemtn, No

21 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Forum Member

Default Does your department provide dress uniforms

I know this is a strange question, but how many department provide dress uniforms for thier members?

I was thinking about it, and they are really expensive. and yet, departments provide them for members, when there are very few times they will actually be worn. plus, in a time of shrinking budgets, departments are spending money on uniforms that don't have an effect on normal operations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your Federal taxes pay for Dress Uniforms for the Military and they don't wear those to war or have an effect on normal operations either.

If members aren't issued Class A's what would you wear to Medal Day Ceremonies, Memorials, Parades, Funerals, offical Dept celebrations, public speaking in front of community boards, civic organizations?..etc.

Just Presenting a different view.

FTM-PTB

Banned

my dept does not provide dress uniforms the only thing we get is a blue shirt. hell I have been waiting over a year for turnout gear. right now if i go on a fire call i have to just use someone elses that is not on scene, usually I find it is huge about 3-4 sizes bigger lol or way to small.

Forum Member

They give us a long sleave shirt and a tie, does that count?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Issued 1 long sleeve shirt and 1 pair of dress pants.No hat, tie or coat.

Forum Member

We are a combination department. Our career staff and line officers are issued Class A's. Other volunteers get pants and a button up shirt.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Our department bought dress shirts with all the patches, brass, etc and ties. We furnish the pants and shoes, no jackets.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Default Re: Does your department provide dress uniforms

Originally posted by DrParasite
    I know this is a strange question, but how many department provide dress uniforms for thier members?

I was thinking about it, and they are really expensive. and yet, departments provide them for members, when there are very few times they will actually be worn. plus, in a time of shrinking budgets, departments are spending money on uniforms that don't have an effect on normal operations.
    In a para-military organization the properl prescribed use of a dress uniform can be used to instil pride, order and disapline.

Should a department be using resources on dress uniforms when they can't get all operational personel turn out gear? No. Should they get them once operational items are aquired? I would say yes for the disapline that they can help instill in a department.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

We're volunteers.
    We're not suppose to have dress uniforms.
    We're suppose to wear clothes that are whack!
    Man; I love talkin' street.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

This has been debated around our firehall for a while now. Most of the senior crew want them, but we have such high turnover that it would be far too expensive for our dept to keep up. I probably could afford to invest in some for the Chief and Line Officers, but I don't want the rest of the senior crew to feel slighted.

Without hijacking this, do any departments either expect thier staff to buy thier own, or provide a partial subsidy?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Every firefighter and officer gets $875 a year for a uniform clothing allowance and is expected to have a well fitting dress uniform.

Everyone should make it a habit to check theirs quarterly to make sure that it didn't "shrink" while in storage!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

My dept gives us $625 a year for uniforms. We are not required to get Dress uniforms but the chief organizes 3 - 5 "Class A" events a year. I dont personally have one because our uniforms are very expensive ($110 for one pair of pants, $95 for one shirt) I buy two to three pairs of pants a year because they fade so quickly. We are also expected to buy our own boots (wildland and station, not turnout). So you can see that $625 does not get the dress uniforms (ours are about $600 for the pants, shirt, jacket, hat, and shoes)
    Stay Low, Stay Safe

"Probie, It's never too early to shut up"

These are my opinions only, not my wife's, not my dog's, not my associate's or my employer's. Mine.

Forum Member

Dress uniforms come out of the Company funds, which are generated via fundraising efforts. FF equipment comes out of the FD budget, which is a tiny little way too small amount of the town budget.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Vol. Dept.:

One hat
    One jacket
    One pair of pants
    One belt buckle
    One pair of white gloves
    One short sleeve blue shirt (summer events -- mostly parades).
    All related badges

We have to buy our own white shirt and black tie -- worn with the jacket and pants, and our own shoes.

We also get a "winter coat" though it's not a dress coat, once off probation.

The gloves are replaced more frequently since they get lost, otherwise unless your size really changes, you can have the same uniform for a few years.

If you're new/probie, you get to pick what's in the closet (I had to hem the pants a few inches when I first joined).
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

The primarily volunteer department I am on now provides a shirt and a shield, and you are expected to provide a pair of blue slacks and black shoes/boots for "dress-up events", which is rare (basically just fire prevention programs and community events as we rarely "parade").

The volunteer department I last served on it Vermont provided:
    Pants: 1 pair dress, 1 pair work
    Shirts: 2 dress (long and short sleeved), 1 work
    Hat: dress
    Shoes: dress
    Brass: shield, collar brass
    Other: Gloves, Tie, belt, casual "official" jacket

Probably half of the 8 departments I have been on have provided a dress uniform fairly close to this (one even provided a Class A blouse), and the other half provided no dress unuiform.

Forum Member

Smile

The following list is comprised of items that are supplied by the Dist./County in terms of uniforms/dress/non-firefighting related apparel.

Actually, we do recieve a dept. t-shirt once a year.

**edited for spellin`**
    Last edited by spearsm; 03-16-2005 at 03:24 PM.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

In the way of uniforms and similar apparel, my company currently provides each member with:

- short-sleeved uniform shirt, badge and brass
    - short-sleeved company t-shirt(s)
    - long-sleeved company t-shirt(s)
    - company job shirt
    - company polo shirt

Members supply their own pants and shoes, in the appropriate styles and colors. In an average year, the average uniform shirt will be worn one time, at the annual Memorial Day parade, if at all. Chief officers may use theirs more often for events they attend in an official capacity, but not much more. The t-shirts and job shirts (in combination with Dickies and steel-toed work boots) get used all the time, as they are really our daily work uniform for drills, classes, and most other types of details. On the rare occasions we go to parades outside of our own community, we usually just go in company polos and jeans. It's comfy and, since we *ahem*, shall we say, "tend to not get along well with" parade judges, there's really no need to worry about a lack of uniforms.

My only reservations about our whole way of dealing with uniforms revolve around what happens if & when somebody dies. It's inevitable, but we don't have a good plan, and we've been discussing the issue of uniforms, including class "A" uniforms, lately for that very reason.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We provide 1 dress uniform shirt, short sleeve, with patches and all appropriate brass (badge, collar brass, nametag). Pants, belts, dress shoes are provided by the member.

A few of the chief officers had purchased their own dress uniform shirts in the past, but last year was the first time everyone was issued a uniform. Most guys will only wear them for the annual banquet, but some of us wear ours several times a year for public ed appearances, State Firemen's Convention, and other special events as appropriate.

I think that even a volunteer organization should have uniforms, because we do participate in activities from time to time where you'd want to present a professional image. Obviously if you can't even afford decent turnout gear then uniforms are pretty low on your priority list (or not there at all), but if the department can afford it I feel they should do it.

We're currently at odds with a neighboring department because after they went out and had all their members purchase their own dress uniforms, we turned around and bought uniforms for our members. They started having a hissy fit saying that we can't use public money for uniforms because that's not a necessary firefighting expense. They say they asked their auditor and he said you can't, but we asked our auditor and he said it's OK. So they're all crabby about it and they keep bringing it up, this one guy in particular I think if you're going to ask people to volunteer their time, gas money etc. for no compensation, it's kind of an insult to expect them to purchase a uniform too. It's the least we can do, isn't it?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

DM ... so why would that neighboring department have any business messing in your department's business ????
    People just never stop amazing me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department purchases Class A's about once a year for those who want them. The deal is that the member pays half and the department pays half. This helps limit it to members who plan on sticking around for a while, but doesn't make them pay the entire cost out of pocket.

Other than that, we have to purchase our own shirts, job shirts etc.

Forum Member

Here we buy a member a jacket/blazer. pants, shirt, badges, nametags, hat. It is up to them to spring for the tie,socks, shoes/boots, belt. This is after 1 year of employment, if they are complete with probation.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We are issued our "duty" uniform which includes, shirts (long and short sleeve), pants, badges, name tag, belt, collar brass (if applicable). You are responsible for your own shoes/boots and socks. We currently do not have Class A uniforms, although it is something that is planned for within the next few years.

Since we don't have the Class A's, we decided to get Ascots and the braided cords to go on our "duty" uniform. This is just something to dress it up a little bit for when we attend funerals and such. It was something that was a cheap way to dress up our uniforms a little bit. Most of us make sure we keep one pair of pants and one long sleeve shirt just for those situations that require the ascot/cord.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

On my volunteer dept. we get a Class B work/drill uniform (minus boots) after completing the first four months of probation. We get a full Class A uniform (minus shoes) after completing probation.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Permanently Removed

Default Yes...

My career FD pays for both Class A and B uniforms.

Permanently Removed

Default No...

Originally posted by firenresq77
    We are issued our "duty" uniform which includes, shirts (long and short sleeve), pants, badges, name tag, belt, collar brass (if applicable).
    Do they make uniforms for Mini-Me? Or just buy the kid sizes?

HAR-HAR, I hate Mini-Me...Bou
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information