Forum Member

Default Chicago, places to go

I will be in Chicago the first of April, Does any one have any ideas on places to eat or see? Does Chicago have a fire museum? If so what is the address? I am looking forward to visiting the windy city

MembersZone Subscriber

Well not sure what you are interested in but some of the best places to visits in Chicago would be:
    *The Art Institute of Chicago 111 S. Michigan Ave. 312-443-3600
    *The Field Museum 1400 S. Lake Shore Dr. 312-922-9410
    *The Museum of Science and Industry 57th St. @ Lake Shore Dr. 773-684-1414
    *The Shedd Aquarium 1200 S. Lake Shore Dr. 312-939-2438
    *Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum 1300 S. Lake Shore Dr. 312-922-0995
    *Sears Tower SkyDeck 233 S. Wacker Dr. 312-875-9696
    *Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum-Chicago Academy of sciences 2430 N. Cannon Dr. @ Fullerton Pkwy. 773-755-5100
    *City Gallery at the Historic Water Tower 806 N. Michigan Ave. 312-744-2400 (This was one of the only remaining buildings in Chicago from the Chicago fire. They used to have tours of the inside of the water tower/treatment, but discontinued-heard rumors that it was to reopen. Fhe fire station(69) is right next to it, it is also one of the oldest in chicago~still runs today!) Haven't heard of a Fire Museum, but maybe wrong.)
    *Lincoln Park Zoo Cannon Dr. @ Fullerton Pkwy 312-742-2000 (Last fee zoo in Chicago/not parking but there are spaces,if you can find it on the streets, great exhibits!)
    *The Handcock Observatory 875 N. Michigan Ave. 888-875-VIEW (I find it nicer than the Sears Tower, you can step outside and there in information sbout the building(s) and the Chicago fire, also interactive stuff.)

Try getting a CityPass you can save money www.citypass.com for details
    Last edited by JorieH; 03-16-2005 at 02:28 PM.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Food!

*Ed Debevic's 640 N. Wells St. 312-664-1707(not for one with sensitive feelings )
    *Fluky's 520 N. Michigan Ave. 4fl. 312-245-0702(for the origina chicago hot dog)
    *House of Blues 329 N Dearborn St 312-923-2000
    *Mike Ditka's Restaurant 100 E. Chestnut St. 312-587-8989 (There should be some Chicago firefighters hanging out there)

Best chicago pizza:
    **The Original Gino's East 633 N. Wells St. 773-247-2400(I think this is the new location)
    **Pizzeria DUE 619 M Wabash Ave. 312-943-2400
    **Pizzeria UNO 29 E. Ohio St. 312-321-1000
    Expect a wait time for the aboved mentioned^
    Other pizzeria's with less wait time are as followed:
    Girodano's~many locations, here's one 1040 W. Belmont Ave. 773-327-1200
    Lou Malnati's Pizzeria~many locations, 439 N. Wells St 312-828-9800

Also you could just find a lot of places just going up and down Clark, Ohio, Michigan and State. Be spontaneous is fun!

Or vistit www.choosechicago.com there are so many places.

Have Fun and be Safe!
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Corner of Clark and Addison see a Cubs game and Eat at Harry Carrys on Kinzy. Anything on Rush street.

Forum Member

Definately well worth a trip to Connie's Pizza on Archer (near China town)...Get the Stuffed Pizza!! It is FANTASTIC!!!! I have been known to go well out of the way to make a trip into downtown just to get a pizza during travels...Have an extra slice for me!!

Enjoy!!

Andy

Forum Member

Default Re: Food!

Originally posted by JorieH

Best chicago pizza:
    **The Original Gino's East 633 N. Wells St. 773-247-2400(I think this is the new location)

Have Fun and be Safe!
    I'll second that!

Forum Member

558 West DeKoven

Former site of Mrs. O'Leary's barn. Current site of the Chicago Fire Academy

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking I can't believe it

I CAN"T BELIEVE IT...no one mentioned the best firefighter place in Chi-town.

" THE G & L FIRE ESCAPE "

located at 2157 W. Grace, Chicago IL. 1-773-472-1138

An Old time Chigaco firefighter owns the place and it has some great history in it.

If you drive too fast you might miss it, if you happen to find it you'll never forget it.

(P.S. If you go, check for a flag on the wall. A red flag with a gold maltese cross and gold lettering reading "Brotherhood Above All" If it is still up, it is a flag from a bunch of St Louis and Kansas City brothers who marched in the St Patty Day parade a few years ago.)

Let me know if you go.

Forum Member

How about the Jerry Springer Show!!!!! Free tickets.

Forum Member

Originally posted by TFDNICK
    How about the Jerry Springer Show!!!!! Free tickets.
    Maybe he could be a guest
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Exclamation

Originally posted by Dave1983

Maybe he could be a guest

He could bring his wife, sister, girlfriend and coz and see if he is the father to all them kids!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

OK, here's my personal Chicago pizza ranking:

1) Lou Malnatti's
    2) Pizzeria UNO/DUE
    3) Gino's East
    4) Giordano's

I used to go to Chi-town quite often, and on one trip, I hit all of these to do a little "comparative ranking". Its close between Malnatti's and UNO, but I like Malnatti's crust a little better.

All the other suggestions are great. I've never been to Ed Debevic's in Chicago, but one of their four restaurants is out here in L.A. and I've been there and its a hoot. Like JorieH said, not for the easily offended.

Another great one if you're gonna be out in the suburbs is Bob Chinn's Crab House at 393 S. Milwaukee Ave. in Wheeling (about 30 miles north of the city center). Even if you don't make it there, you'll find Bob Chinn's famous Mai Tais on the menu at a lot of local restaurants.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

There is a fire museum in canaryville on the south side. I dont know the exact address or phone number but if you call St. Gabriels church they will have the info. I think the museum is in St. Gabriel school.

Forum Member

I appreciate all of the responses. I am really looking forward to the trip up.
    And No I don't think I will go to Jerry Springer.

Forum Member

Default Fire museums & Chicago stuff

The temporary home of the Chicago Fire Museum is at St. Gabriels School, 4620 S. Wallace. Currently the collection is only open to the public on the 3rd Saturday of the month,but if they know you're coming from out of town, they might make an accomodation. There is the Aurora Fire Museum, which is really neat, and easily accessible via commuter rail.
    And friends don't let friends go to Connie's...there's better places for pizza here.

Thread Information