Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If I can, then so can you!

This is for those that don't think that they can be a firefighter or even a firewoman. I am 19 year old female from Texas. I was thinking about becoming a fire firefighter in 2001. I wasn't for sure if I could do things associated with being a firefighter so I joined Dallas Fire Rescue Explorers. In this I found out that I could become a firefighter even though I am a female that is 5 foot, 6 inches tall and weighing 125 pounds. I graduated high school with the dreams of becoming a firefighter. I joined the Volunteer Fire Department in my town. I passed the physcial agility test and was on the department on June 22, 2004, 1 month after graduating high school. I am going to college to get an assoicate degree in Fire Science, I work part time at a mall, and I am also I Vounteer Firefighter. If I can do all of this then you can too. I have set my mind and my goals and I am aiming high. No one believed me 4 years ago when I thought that I wanted to be a firefighter, but today I am a firefighter. I make 75% of the calls that we have each month and I have done a lot of things that require physical strength. I might be small, but I can do it all. So, for those that don't think that they can do it, you can if I can. For those you don't believe, then you have to see to believe so see in yourself. Remember to always be safe!

Default Awesome!

Congrats first of all!

I am going through the same thing right now. I am attempting to get on with the local fire dept. I am taking my EMR course at the end of the month and I should be able to apply after I am done.

I am also 5'6, but weight in at 115lbs on a good day. I have had to deal with alot of rude comments, and the like. My family didn't, and still doesn't support me, which is fine, I will make it through. I have been hitting the gym 5 days a week to gain the muscle strength I need, which is finally coming together, and everyone is starting to see that this is truely something I want to do. But its hard. You go through the good days, and you go through the bad. I have posted little quotes around my house for those bad days that help me get up and get going even after hearing someone put you down. All I have to say is take those negatives and turn them in a positive...hit the gym and work out that much harder, try and beat your last time on your running..whatever...it all helps.

But its the people before me, like yourself that make me realize that yes I can do this, and I can get in! It makes those down days easier to get through. Also, I have been working with a great Fire Captain in a town not far from me that has been more than helpful along the way (thanks Dave404!!)

So keep going girl!! Good luck with future!
    _______
    "There is no expiration date on your birth certificate, so make every day count" - William Phelps from "Lethal Guardian"

Smile Good job...

Good job and keep going! I remember starting out and it
    always seemed to be an uphill battle. (studying, testing,
    time off, motels, rental cars, typing apps, phone calls,
    etc...)

Can I please make one suggestion and first understand I am
    not slamming you at all. (Only trying to help)

On your posting, it is one long paragraph. Maybe in the future,
    break down the information by the subject matter. ie- First
    starting out. Then high school and where you currently are in
    your pursuit. Lastly, your future plans.

Again, congrats and please donttake my advice wrong. Only
    a suggestion and you will get hundreds over your fire
    service career.

-Bou

PS- I would also stay away form the term "firewoman". Simply
    use "Firefighter".
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-16-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Bou....you are such a critic.....

txfiregurl... You seem to have the right attitude and certainly the drive and desire. Go for what you want and settle for nothing less. Those of us on here, have certainly been there and done that. Feel free to ask us anything you want anytime.... But.....if you ask...be ready for the barrage of answers...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

WOW. Sounds like you have your act together. Good Luck
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Thumbs up

My sincere congratulations! More people should have an attitude like yours.

If you're ever up NJ way.....I could use a hard working crew member, so look me up!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

From a 40 y.o. firefighter who worried that she couldn't do it either:

GO GIRL GO

You didn't ask for advice; doesn't look like you need it, so I won't give you any. PM me any time.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

From a 42 year old who is the first female Officer in her company....

Yes, you can do it!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Congratulations

I once started out much like you.

I am now a 21 y.o. Wildland and Structural firefighter.
    I thought my height might be a problem, 5'1 but as it turns out I was way wrong.

Anyway congratulations and if you need anything to hesitate to get ahold of me.
    -Nobody Burns-

-You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.-

*Starburst*
    WTFD 6-31

MembersZone Subscriber SmokeEater1's Avatar

Post DozerGrl

Are you still considering going to Iraq with WSI? I havent seen you post on the FF in Iraq forum in a long long time. PM me or e-mail me.
    I have no ambition in this world but one.. That is to be a Firefighter! The position in the eyes of some may appear to be a lowly one... It is a nobel calling

Default Danger!

Way to much estrogen in this thread!.....

Way to go all of you!!!!!!!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Congrats girl! I was the first women fire fighter in my department at 20 I had to do a very physicla test to get in also. I still love the holy Sh*t look when I take of my mask and helmet and people realize I'm a girl!
    Keep it up everyone the fire service needs all kinds. This is my third year and I wouldn't give it up for the world!!

Default Re: Good job...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    PS- I would also stay away form the term "firewoman". Simply
    use "Firefighter".
    He's right...enough people try to seperate us out...don't do it for them by acting or feeling or calling yourself something different than "firefighter."

Keep up the good work, and good luck!

~Courtney
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber firepimp's Avatar

I think anyone can make it as a firefighter its how bad do you want it , I made it hell if I did anyone can , we had 5 females graduate our class from the 3rd hardest academy in florida , and I would trust any of them with my life and work by my side its sad but i would choose 2 of them over half the guys because they didnt always have the strength to go on and somehow they did they pushed themselves to the limit and beyond. Congrats and good luck.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep it up and you'll do great!

Same comment as some of the other posters - I'd choose some of the females that I've worked with over the guys as I've discovered that female firefighters don't tend to freelance or do dumb **** like opening doors without checking for backdraft indicators etc. They are also better team members quite often.

BTW - bet they won't be quite as worried about your size when you join the academy as what they were about me when I started - I was 6'1" and a whopping 118 lbs - they were worried they were going to break me in half!
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Good for you ladies! I've been the only female on the department for 14 years now and still kickin' bootie!

Best wishes and pm me anytime.

Thanks for everything that everyone has to say! Sorry that I didnt do paragraphs CALLFBOU but you never know when you might have to jump up and go a on a call so I just do it the fast easy way. I will try to use paragraphs for you.
    Anyways, ya I know how some of you gals feel. I have a lot of police officer, dupties, or state troopers that ask me to step back behind the lines of an inccident. I have to explain that I am one of the firefighters. Usually they will see my fire rescue shirt and apoligize and let me continue on with my duties.
    The one thing that I can't stand the most though is when guys see me wearing my fire shirt and they ask if I am really a firefighter. When I tell them that I am then they always make stupid comments like they need to wreck there car or start a fire so that they can see me. That kinda ****es me off, but I have gotten used to it.
    Best of luck to everyone and remember to be safe!!!
    ~Katie

Forum Member

AWESOME JOB

Male or female firefighters...no difference in my books. We all put everything on the line and my brothers and sisters wouldn't hesitate to help when the s**t hits the fan!
    AMEN

Question Why firefighter

Congrats on your accomplishments. I have but one question..Why? I'm just curious why each one of you migrated toward the fire service? Was it because of the EMS involved, ie. paramedicine/emt etc., the grittiness of the job, commeraderie etc???

Default Why I joined the fire service

I got into to it because... well I guess it started when my house burned down. My dad then got back into it, then my mom, then my older brother. My sister was next inline but decided to go to school to become and ER trauma surgeon. Then it was my turn. It just sort of is like a family tradition. I love doing what I do and love my parents for opening up the doors for me and giving me the opportunity to become what I am today. With out them I would probably be sitting in a classroom right now studying to be a machinist. Which there is nothing wrong with it but I truly love being a firefighter more than anything. And to the rest of you guys and gals thank you all for being supportive of not only myself but all the other young people that want to follow in your footsteps.

Thank you
    -Nobody Burns-

-You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.-

*Starburst*
    WTFD 6-31

Thread Information