Thread: Foam pit rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Foam pit rescue

We just got a new gymnastics coplex in our city, that has a foam pit. Problem; no on the department knows exactly the right procedure for victim removal from the foam pit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to perform this operation or know of where to find info?
    Thank, HVFD

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had a gym like this for many years and have had to go on several EMS runs there.
    I guess the best way to describe it is it is like getting and boarding a patient that lifeguards have in shallow water. All personel entering the pit should move slow and deliberate. When holding the head and c-spine you can use a technique that the lifeguards use. from the side of the patient place one arm along the spine holding on the occipital head, then the other arm goes on their chest holding the lower jaw and supporting the head.
    Now the patient is sandwiched between the rescuer's arms keeping the head and c-spine aligned with the body. Don't log roll the patient place the board at the patient's head and slide her up that way. Move your arm out of the way as needed.

This can be used for a child in a ball pit also.

Make sure everyone in the jurisdiction knows about that place, in a fire, even with sprinklers, this could be a big hazard for firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default foam rescue

I have heard something like laying a ladder across the pit and eventually sliding a board down behind the patient. have you heard of a method like this? I am still unsure of exactly how it works, but am interested. Does any foam need to removed, regardless of how it is down?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the ladder is used as a bridge so you don't disturb the foam. I quess it would work just fine but it would involve a lot more reaching and the patient may not be in your complete control.

See if you can practice at the gym, most of the time they will go along with it because you are there for them .

Thread Information