Sr. Information Officer

Post Deputy charged in FF death

Deputy charged in wreck
    D.A. decides Moore death was homicide

By Clark Corbin

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Leavenworth County prosecutors this week charged a Leavenworth County Sheriff's Department deputy in connection with a December traffic accident that took the life of a young volunteer firefighter.

On Tuesday, the Leavenworth County District Attorney's Office charged deputy Robert L. Peterman with one count of vehicular homicide, said Deborah Owens, a district attorney's office spokesperson. That same day, Peterman's attorney, Kiann McBratney, appeared and entered a not-guilty plea on Peterman's behalf.

Owens said Peterman's next appearance has not yet been scheduled because the court system is planning to find a judge from another community to preside over the matter.

On Dec. 29, 2004, 19-year-old Fairmount Township volunteer firefighter Jared Moore was driving north on 155 Street in Basehor while responding to the scene of a late-night injury accident. When Moore turned left onto Donahoo Road, his vehicle was struck from behind by the sheriff's department patrol car that Peterman was driving.

Both drivers were responding to the scene of an injury accident north of Basehor when the fatal wreck occurred. Peterman was also injured in the accident.

On Tuesday, Leavenworth County Sheriff Dave Zoellner said Peterman was placed on administrative leave without pay after charges were filed.

The Kansas Highway Patrol completed its reconstruction of the fatal accident just over two weeks ago. Although details of this particular reconstruction have not been released, Owens, speaking generally, said a reconstruction can be conducted to determine, among other things, how fast vehicles involved in an accident were traveling.

Moore had lived in Basehor for the four years preceding his death and became a probationary firefighter in August 2004. He was to become a full-fledged firefighter in two years. His death marked the first time in nearly 30 years that a Fairmount Township firefighter had been killed in the line of duty.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

It will be very interesting to see how this pans out.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I wish they would have included a few more details. I wonder if the deputy was operating lights and sirens at the time of the incident or if he failed to obey a traffic control device that the firefighters had the right-of-way with? Keep us posted...
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

bad deal all around...loss of a FF and now what looks to be the loss of a LE officer.

Please Keep us posted

Thread Information