Forum Member

Default Extra money leftover

Due to the competive bid process we will have about $20,000.00 left over. Any idea's on what to buy with it?
    Bill

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Bill, there's another thread about this topic. In case you can't find it, you'll only be able to spend $5k on more of what you've just bought (same category), the rest has to go to something in the Fire Prevention category. It's spelled out on page 27 of the program guidance.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Default Leftover funds can be used for fire prevention programs

Here's a suggestion if you are considering looking at fire prevention for your leftover funding. Check out www.modeltech.com

MembersZone Subscriber

The explanation on excess funds is on page 37 of the program guidance.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

For smaller kids, when I ran up north they loved our Spot T. Dog, remote control dalmation. Great to have at open houses and take to schools. We also put a lot of time in an a phone setup where we had the kids dial 9-1-1 and then had someone on the other end acting as a dispatcher. Tell them, they ignore you. Show them, they remember. After I went for a fire safety presentation at my wife's kindergarten class, one of the mothers came in the next day to tell her the cops were at her house last night because the kid went home and "practiced" dialing 9-1-1. Hey, at least she remembered.

You also might want to think about something that helps with your fire prevention program but also has other benefits to the department. I know several departments that decided that they wanted to start having fire safety classes in the station as well as going to school and community groups, which they already did. Amazing how a nice laptop and projector work much better in showing pictures and some videos while teaching fire prevention anywhere you go...

And since there's no sense in letting good equipment hold the floor down, might as well use the stuff for training the department or something along those lines. Cost-benefit. The magic word.

Thread Information