MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can't seem to make it past DONHR?

I can't seem to make it past the Department of Navy Human Resources and don't know why? Can anyone help a brother out?

Forum Member

Make it past them regarding what?

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't seem to make it past them for the Resume process, I meet the qualifications but I keep getting letters back staying I do not meet the qualifications for the job. This will be the 3rd time I have applied for the same job in the same area in the past 3 months.

Forum Member

Hey brother,

It is kind of a weird process. The content of your resume is extremely important. Meaning....a computer will look for key words and score you based on that. so you need to be very thorough (spelling). No spelling errors, make sure you IFSAC certs are written in the format specified. Are you a Vet...that weighs alot.

Hope this helps,

MCFFPM

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, make sure you don't say TOO MUCH. I got rejected out of the system because I had PA EMT, rather than NJ EMT. Nevermind that NJ automatically accepts PA EMT certs - the people in Annopolis or wherever don't know that. My stupid fault for writing "PA DOH EMT" instead of just "EMT".

BTW, where are you trying to apply, just out of curiosity? I thought I remembered you being a Fed FF already. Just wondering where you are, and where you're looking to go.
    Last edited by BucksEngine78; 03-18-2005 at 12:21 AM.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been looking into Mechanicsburg for awhile now. I am happy with where I am but I am keeping my options open. Right now i am a Federal Technician at Fort Indiantown Gap Fire Department. That Techinician word binds me to the National Guard, I must maintain my status in the Guard to keep my job. The only problem with that is I was planning on getting out of the Guard in 2006. So until I find another job I am stuck in the Guard. If I happen not to find a job before April 2006 well then I am stuck in for another few years and it would be stupid for me to get out, I might as well retire from the Guard and my Federal Technician job.

I also heard that Veterans preference helps to get a Federal Job, well how can I get that if I am bound to my Federal job by having to stay in the Military?

This is all a pain but the only thing I want is to be a Civilian Firefighter which I am now but without being bound to the Military.

I hope you can understand all that, it is confusing!!

Forum Member

I applied on-line months ago for a firefghter position on the DONHR web-site. And, I haven't heard anything. Is this normal? Appreciate all the help?

Thanks,

John

Forum Member

Default Sounds like they never got it..

You first should have got a letter stating they received your application, then you would have had it "rated" and given a numerical score for whatever position/location you applied for...

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, if you apply to an 'open continuous' list, or a list that has a closing date of like 2099, then you will not receive a rating until they actually go to hire for the position - which may be never. Also, I understand that DONHR is redoing their website, so that if you have a resume currently listed, you will have to repost it as they go from 7 databases to 1.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Can we hear a little more about those keywords for our resume?

Thread Information