Default Four alarm Triple Decker in Worcester...

Inch and a half and maybe a water can should handle this

All kidding aside, good job by the guys and luck was on their side (ride the article below!).

The fire was on Providence Street...I'm not native enough to Worcester to know if that is "technically" Vernon Hill or just adjacent to that neighborhood. Anyway, those of you who've been around for a few years know I'll post pics of Vernon Hill every so often when people ask what a three decker is!

Friday, March 18, 2005

Rescue worker survives blast

Three-decker is destroyed

By Edward J. Canty
    TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    ecanty@telegram.com

WORCESTER— At least 17 people were displaced late yesterday afternoon when a four-alarm blaze destroyed one three-decker and damaged two others on Providence Street, fire officials said.

Lt. Donald M. Quinlan of the rescue squad, one of two firefighters searching for people and animals on the top floor of a burning three-decker at 133 Providence St., escaped serious injury when a massive backdraft caused two explosions that blew out the front and side windows.

“He was extremely lucky he wasn’t blown out. … The window sill held him in,” said District Chief Ronald Fritz of the South Division.

Lt. Quinlan who suffered minor head and face cuts, refused medical treatment and stayed at the fire scene, officials said.

Immediately after the backdraft explosion, Deputy Fire Chief Paul A. Rogacz, concerned that firefighters could be missing, called for a roll call. All were accounted for.

Brad Spellane, a tenant of the third floor, where the backdraft occurred, said he lost two dogs, Colby, a black Labrador retriever, and Jack, a yellow Labrador retriever.

“I came home from work to walk the dogs, when my mother called me and said the place was on fire. I saw two firefighters enter the building,” he said. “One of them opened a window and about 30 seconds later, there was an explosion. I was on the ground in front when it went off.”

His mother, Janet Spellane, said she saw flames coming out of the building and went around back to see if her son’s car was parked. She was relieved to see the car wasn’t there, which meant he wasn’t in the burning building.

At the scene, fire officials provided a partial list of the 13 adults and 4 children affected. Those displaced at 133 Providence St. are Merrill Greaves, and Jollen Greaves on the first floor; Steve Elveys, Jean Baptiste, Fredine Baptiste, Tanya Login, Immacula Manigat and Rachelle Baptiste on the second floor; and Mr. Spellane on the top floor. At 135 Providence St., Maria Anna Lou, first floor; Grenavade Delva and Stanley Badenski, top floor; and Irene Kozlowski, second floor.

The American Red Cross is helping six families from 133 and 135 Providence St., according to Nicole Valentine, director of emergency services. Some require food and clothing while others require shelter, she said. Those needing shelter were being transported to hotels in Westboro because there were no hotel rooms available in Worcester because of the NCAA basketball tournament.

Deputy Chief Rogacz said the intense fire and radiant heat of the burning three-decker at 133 Providence St. ignited the adjacent tenements at 131 and 135 Providence St.

Officials said the three-decker at 135 Providence St. had fire damage to the top floor and attic. The tenement at 131 Providence St. had minor fire damage to the top floors and smoke and water damage. Residents of 131 Providence St. were able to return to their apartments last night, Ms. Valentine said.

No estimate of damage was immediately available, officials said.

Mr. Spellane said the fire started in a dryer on a back shed on the second floor. Chief Rogacz said the cause of the fire will be investigated by the Fire Department.

The deputy said he called for more alarms because flames were coming out of all three buildings when firefighters arrived.

Chief Fritz said 10 engine companies, seven ladder trucks and the Rescue Squad were summoned.

Officials at Worcester Fire Alarm said a neighbor reported the blaze at 4:32 p.m.

Those wishing to make donations for residents displaced by the fire and other local disasters can call (508) 595-3700, Ms. Valentine said.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Dal,

Proper pronunciation is Triple Deckah.

Looks like a good cooker too.

And remember, a triple decker is just two story that hasn't burned yet. Wistah is full of 'em unfortunately.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Inch and a half and maybe a water can should handle this
    Some people here would agree with that
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

hope the loo bought a lotto ticket after that job...

Good worker...glad everyone went home.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

KICK ***** ! Glad all went home safe ...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

WOW!!! I saw this live from the news helicopter but these photos are pretty impressive! Worcester Fire must be a great dept. to be part of ! ----- Good Job Guys! NEVER FORGET W6... BOX 5-1438 SIX FOREVER!!!

District Chief

I had a friend who was visiting relatives there and was doing a ride and made that fire....he made that fire!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Originally posted by captstanm1
    I had a friend who was visiting relatives there and was doing a ride and made that fire....he made that fire!
    What a day to do a ride-along! What company was he on? Was the house fully involved when they arrived on scene? Tell us more!

Forum Member

There were pictures on the news of unburned shirts hanging in the trees....blown out in the backdraft. And every old city in New England has blocks of these buildings - or did.

Forum Member

Wow........ Nice!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

District Chief

Tell us more!
    I was talking to him by nextel and I had to run. Did not get any other details. I think he was at their main station though. Unfortunately for him, he only got to pull hose and roll hose!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I think he was at their main station though.

Grove Street...now that's a station at the moment! They've picked up an extra truck until a new station is built to replace one that just became a hotel site.

E3 E16 L1 L2 Car 3 (North District Chief) Car 2 (Citywide shift commander) Car 1 (Chief-of-Department).

Not many career, 2 Engine / 2 Truck / 2-3 Chief Officer stations around!

(For those who don't know...I live in CT, but I work in downtown Worcester so I end up being a bit of a buff since I have no other choice )

A four-alarm is a pretty big deal in the city. For perspective, a 3rd Alarm will normally start to move up cover companies from the largely on-call combination departments that adjoin Worcester.

They have 16 Engines, 7 Ladders, 1 Rescue so committing 10 Engines, 7 Ladders, and the Rescue strips the city pretty heavily.

(The engines are 3 man though -- the city long ago offered to go to 4 man Engines if the union would accept a reduction from 16 to 12 Engines and that went over like a fart in church!) But overall shift strength is pretty good compared to what many, many other cities face. Rescue is four men, and I believe the Ladders are four men when they can, three if they're short.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Originally posted by Dalmatian90

A four-alarm is a pretty big deal in the city. For perspective, a 3rd Alarm will normally start to move up cover companies from the largely on-call combination departments that adjoin Worcester.

They have 16 Engines, 7 Ladders, 1 Rescue so committing 10 Engines, 7 Ladders, and the Rescue strips the city pretty heavily.
    Thanks to Dal90 for some dept. statistics. I'm a little surprised though that Worcester only has one rescue co.

Thread Information