• No

8 19.51%
  • No Comment

2 4.88%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LODD ticker

MembersZone Subscriber FireCritic's Avatar

Default LODD ticker

First of all I would like to say that I am posting this question to get feedback. I do not know if you all will think it is a positive or negative.

I was wondering if you guys thought it might encourage safety among firefighters if there was a ticker on the mainpage of firehouse.com that showed how many days the nation and or world went without a LODD. I know that some of you might think this is morbid however I think it would have a greater purpose. To show everyone, those who follow LODD's and those who don't, the frequency (high or low, hopefully low) of LODDs. I have not posed this idea to firehouse.com because I wanted to see what the membership thought. This would be a lot like injury tickers you see at businesses. It could be done in sec. min. hour or just simply days. I do not think that the majority of FF's know the exact frequency of Firefighters losing their lives in the fire service and I think that this might hit home the enormity of this problem that plagues the Fire Service. I do not mean to make light of those brothers and sisters who have made the ultimate sacrifice, just to give it a more direct meaning every time that someone logs onto firehouse.com, firefighters and other visitors.

so let me know what you think.
    Last edited by FireFleitz; 03-18-2005 at 10:16 AM.

Default Poll

I appreciate the ones who have answered the poll. I would also like to hear from you as to why you agree or disagree with the idea. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you who are interested, the USFA has an email notification service for LODD. Here is the link to subscribe:

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/about/subscribe/

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that it could be a positive move for Firefighter health & safety. It would be good if it was a worldwide rather than US only and that issues reagarding health & safety from these very sad incidents could be raised.

Our standard operatng procedures may differ from country to country but the hazards that others may encounter could assist many all other the world.

Unfortuatley with Firefighter deaths and injuries on the increase, we hear about the incidents when they happen but not about the investigation and the outcomes from them. This information shared may prevent the next LODD from happening.

So as long as a ticker is backed up with further information it would be a positive move.

George...I know that there is a link.... But I kinda think a ticker would be nice tribute to our brothers and sisters and if FH.com could do the ticker it would be nice.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by captstanm1
    George...I know that there is a link.... But I kinda think a ticker would be nice tribute to our brothers and sisters and if FH.com could do the ticker it would be nice.
    You're right. But I don't know if an existing ticker exists. So FH.com would have to create it. That likely won't happen. I was just providing an alternative.

I heard someone once say “the only time we learn from mistakes or unknown dangers in the fire service is when the end result is tragedy.” think it good idea to remember and know when someone gave all.

Default Agreement

I am glad that so many of you agree with me. I will wait a couple more days to see what more people think about it and then pose the idea to the webteam unless they have already seen the post here. Then I guess we might be able to help them find a programmer capable of making the ticker if they don't have one already. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also agree. Lets hope it stays at zero.

Administrator

Folks

Good idea, but for now we're going to stick with just the count that's under the second tier of headlines on the home page. We may add something in the LODD section, but right now, we already have alot of coverage for line of duty deaths that folks can learn from (almost every day unfortunately it seems at times) ...

We encourage you to sign up for the Line of Duty alerts from the e-mail alerts box on the front page, which provides notification of firefigther fatalities, check the Line of Duty news page, and for the most part, all Line of Duty deaths usually appear at the top of the home page. Seeing those headlines up there, virtually all the time, I think has the same impact. They are there all the time, and its very rare that more than a few days goes by, unfortunately, without one being there. (Two there right now)

Hope everyone can understand there is already alot of information on the home page and while we see where you're coming from, the existing count is already there but we'll continue to evalutate the need for new features and new additions -- especially to the line of duty page itself, periodically.

We encourage everyone to visit the line of duty page at
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...p?sectionId=39

Thanks
    WebTeam

Default ticker

To the webteam,

Thank you very much for your considertation. I have to agree with you that you all have plenty of coverage on LODD's. I am glad to see the interaction here as well between the members and webteam. Usually when I see the webteam on here it is because someone has broken the rules. I myself, as well as everyone else I am sure, really appreciate the service you all do for us with both publications. I especially appreciate this forum so that other enthusiasts, informatio, seekers, peers, and pros can exchange information. Keep up the good work.

You have officially been patted on the back and given an at-a-boy. If I knew you better I would have given you a good-game.

Thanks again.

Thread Information