Forum Member

Default Some Brotherhood

On our department we have two capt. that do what they want when they want and make rules and policys whenever they want to benifit them. i am on suspension now becuase of there rule that no one under then age of 18 can be in the front of the engine. My chief knows noting of the rule and he was told i was suspeded for disrespect to an officer. I found out three days later that he never signed my suspension papers that they took the liberty of signing it for him like they do all the time. I don't know what to do about this situation. I love the fire department and i am tryin to better myself while on suspension by going to schools and things of that nature. But I don't want to return to a station that is all about glory and who gets to ride up front.
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

Forum Member

I may be thinking of someone else, but weren't you also recently suspended (or something) by the Captain due to grades being too low? And your Chief did not know about that and you weren't going to tell him?

Just FYI, no one under 18 rides in the front on my department either. That location is for the driver (must be at least 21) and the officer of the truck (must be over 21). Children have no place being in command of a truck.

IF you are that same person, there must be some bigger issues involved with this than what we are getting told here.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with bones. YOu didnt do what your Capt told you to do. I know some departments like the one I was once on made the JR's ride int he front for safety. But at anytime the senior firefighters had the right to kick you off.

One of the best things that happened to me when I fell into a bad group in HS. Was the fire Capt kicking my butt.
    Thanks
    DM

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    I may be thinking of someone else, but weren't you also recently suspended (or something) by the Captain due to grades being too low?

And your Chief did not know about that and you weren't going to tell him?

Just FYI, no one under 18 rides in the front on my department either.

Children have no place being in command of a truck.
    Bones, ya took the words right out of my mouth.

MembersZone Subscriber

IMHO, dragonslayer22 - you need to close your mouth and open your ears. There are rules in place for a reason. Follow them or get out!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

Default Re: Some Brotherhood

Originally posted by dragonslayer22
    On our department we have two capt. that do what they want when they want and make rules and policys whenever they want to benifit them. i am on suspension now becuase of there rule that no one under then age of 18 can be in the front of the engine. My chief knows noting of the rule and he was told i was suspeded for disrespect to an officer. I found out three days later that he never signed my suspension papers that they took the liberty of signing it for him like they do all the time. I don't know what to do about this situation. I love the fire department and i am tryin to better myself while on suspension by going to schools and things of that nature. But I don't want to return to a station that is all about glory and who gets to ride up front.
    My first question is are the policies in writing? If so, your SOL. If not, you might have a valid complaint
    My second question is if the chief didn't know you were suspended, or rather, didn't approve of the suspension, then that is something he needs to deal with. if you feel that strongly, put it all in writing, and submit it to the chief. It is up to him to take appropriate action if he deems it neccessary.

FWIW, I have no problems with an under 18 year old sitting in the front seat, provided there aren't senior people present to sit in it. I'm not going to have the seat empty and have the junior sitting in the back just so we can say "no junior is to sit in the front."

do your suspension, come back in a few weeks with a different attitude, and maybe the captain won't be looking so hard to suspend you again
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

The thing is, if the Capt. that placed him on suspension is the Captain in charge of the JR's then the Chief's approval my not be needed. When I was his age, the senior in charge of the JR's didn't need approval.
    Thanks
    DM

Forum Member

In my opinion people under 18 don't have a place on a fire truck at all, ESPECIALLY in the officer's or driver's seat. Luckily I don't have to deal with anything like that because we do not and will not have any type of junior firefighter program. Our FF's must be 18 to apply, get FF1 and be an interior firefighter, otherwise youre just wasting a seat in the truck. I think its great if young people want to get involved in the fire service, but I don't think its safe to have kids on fire apparatus or at fire scenes.

www.palmerfire.org

Forum Member

your a jr member so put up and shut up !!

sr members and officers ride the front !!

and i don't know how other deps are but here the capts run the stations and the trucks and the chiefs run the dep as a whole ... if capt wants to suspend then so be it , if he is wrong remember what goes around comes around you will get your glory to some day

Forum Member

Originally posted by sbfdco1
    IMHO, dragonslayer22 - you need to close your mouth and open your ears. There are rules in place for a reason. Follow them or get out!
    That pretty much sums it up

BTW, no one under 18 rides in our rigs. When we used to have explorers they could only ride with the DC.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

IF you are that same person, there must be some bigger issues involved with this than what we are getting told here.
    No more calls please, we have a winner. Bones, here is the other thread. He got suspended for bad grades, jumped the chain of command in an attempt to shorten his time off and got in a bind with a captain.

Dragonslayer, in 13 posts you have (in addition to the previously noted incident):

Complained about the Chief, Deputy Chief, and Assistant Chief

Complained because your pager got taken away and given to an older member

Complained
    about your department leadership's unwillingness to sell what you consider POS vehicles

AND, as the icing on the cake, had the gall to attack via e-mail one of the most respected posters on this forum

Dragonslayer, call me crazy but do you think there's a chance that you have a slight problem with authority?

You're a 17 year old junior. If you're going to survive in the fire service, you need to learn VERY SOON that respect for authority and disicipline are essential.

Rule or not, if the captain wanted you out of the front seat YOU ARE A 17 YEAR OLD JUNIOR. DON'T FUSS, GET YOUR ***** OUT OF THE SEAT.
    Last edited by EFD840; 03-18-2005 at 03:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

This KID kills me!

Shut your damn mouth. You are nothing. A Spec. A Na-da.

We have a word for guys like you...a load. Your quick to spurt your certifications and how much you "know", quick to bash on the brotherhood, and quick to take up against guys like Gonzo and your Captain just because you didn't get your way. (Just incase they didn't teach you this already, those two vertical bars on your Captain's collar means that he can do what ever the F he wants to you until the very day that you wear the same bars.)

When It all comes down to the fact that, your are still a JUNIOR firefighter. You ARE NOT a firefighter. You are investigating whether or not you want to continue in this field. You are owed nothing. Nothing is to be given to you. In the eyes of the fire service you are insignifigant.

We CAN help you. Shut up, do as your told and you might...might learn something from the people of these forums that have been doing this job since before you were born.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Furthurmore...don't speak of BROTHERHOOD again. You are banned from using the word. You know NOTHING about it, and you discrace the word every time you use it.

Go through an academy of 30+ guys for 16 weeks and pull each other through hell and then talk about it.

Cook, Clean, and fight fire with the same guys everyday and then talk about it.

Counsil a fellow firefighter through a drinking problem or a divorce and then talk about it.

Burry another firefighter, hand his son his charred helmet and then talk about it.

Brotherhood is going through the best of times and the worst of times with a fellow firefighter because you KNOW that when it comes down to it, he is going to do the same for you.

Thats the BROTHERHOOD.

Not some piddly sh*t about who gets to ride in the front seat or gets to carry a pager.

THIS IS THE BROTHERHOOD...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

On our department we have two capt. that do what they want when they want and make rules and policys whenever they want to benifit them.
    I think most departments have one of those...get used to it.

i am on suspension now becuase of there rule that no one under then age of 18 can be in the front of the engine. My chief knows noting of the rule and he was told i was suspeded for disrespect to an officer.
    If the Capt. told you to get out of the front, or off the truck, or whatever, and you whined and complained as you have done here so many times before, then you WERE disrespecting an officer.

BTW, as others have said...if you're a junior and get to ride the truck AT ALL, you're doing good. NO ONE under 18 rides with us for calls, and even those over 18 don't ride until they have FF1, First Aid/CPR/AED, and 32 hours of Haz-mat. Our Juniors ride only for fuel runs, parades, and non-emergency public service calls.

I found out three days later that he never signed my suspension papers that they took the liberty of signing it for him like they do all the time. I don't know what to do about this situation.
    Now that IS a problem if, and ONLY IF, the chief was supposed to sign and the Capt. signed the line that said "Chief" with his name, or if he actually forged the chief's name. Like DrParasite said, put a complaint in writing if this is the case... Only, I would also suggest that in doing so you USE THAT SPELL CHECK!! Make it sound and look professional, or you will not be taken seriously. Don't spend 3 pages whining about how unfairly you're been treated and how horrible the dept. is and such...make your complaint, if you have a valid one, and that's it...end it there...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

FH Mag/.com Contributor

A yes, another fine example of the American High School Education system. Not only is he intelligence-challenged enough to take on Gonzo, and to not type in full sentences, but also to put his name and location in his postings, making the very large assumption that no one else from his department has ever heard of Firehouse.com, or comes around these parts. "Here's your sign."

This is why puppies are kept in cages.

MembersZone Subscriber

Notice how dragonslayer dissapears once he gets called out. Not many responses to those who have tried to "re-educate" you.

You were mighty ballsy in your email to Gonzo, but I don't hear you saying much now.

But I guess that you think we all just "picking" on you.

Forum Member

"dragonslayer" The name says it all...PUKE!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

dragonslayer22, If you were on our department you would be asked to leave! You need in the worse sort of way to lose the attitude...........
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Default a thought

Dragonslayer- I have a suggestion for you.
    You are obviously not a dumb kid by any means. If you have gone throught the classes you say you have done, Then you are obviously intelligent. Note that this does not make you WISE!! Wisdom is gained through experience not through your certificates or anything else. You need to be taught a lesson, kiddo. Not a discipline lesson like taking you out back and tanning your backside. (which might also need tro be done if you are not carefull)
    I think your energy could be very helpful to the fire service someday, just not now. You have some serious growing up to do. Your maturity is at rock bottom and you have no clue.
    OK now to my suggestion. GO to the Marine Corps recruiting office and sign on the dotted line. Go for 4 years learn about rank and respect for those appointed over you. Learn what it really means to be a brother to another. Learn what it means to lay down your life for another, whether it is a brother, a sister or some starving kid in Iraq. Learn self control, honor, courage, commitment, and then come back to fire service as a man and not some pathetic crying child. Then you stand half a chance at becoming the great fireman that you think you are now.
    If you think I am just saying this because I am a former Jarhead, well you are wrong. But I am former Navy. I was a Nuclear Reactor operator for over 8 years and was certified as an instructor for the field just after completing the schooling myself. But I think that for you the Marines would be the best place to learn humility.
    Take my advice, Go to the recruiter and sign up. We'll see you in a few years when you come back to civilian life and then I am sure we will be able to eagerly welcom you into the great American Fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

StLRes2cue: Email me or clear your PM box out.

Thanks!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

The Dragonslayer
    still hasn't had the testicular fortitude to apologize to me and to the members of these forums... not that I am expecting it.

He posts here looking for "symapthy".

Well, kiddo, you will find it in the dictionary... it's between
    $#!t and syphillis!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

JR FIREFIGHTERS ARE A GOOD THING. BY THE TIME THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO SEE FIRE THEY HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM ON SCENCE. SOME OLDER GUYS DONT LIKE BEING OUT DONE BY JR'S THOUGH. MY QUESTION IS DID AN OFFICER TELL YOU NOT BE IN FRONT. OR WAS THERE ONLY TWO OF YOU IN THE TRUCK. OR STATION WILL RUN JR'S IF THERE IS ROOOM. OR TANKER(TENDER) SHUTTLES TO BE DONE THEY DO NOT DRIVE BUT SHOTGUN IF THEY ARE IN A SHUTTLE RUN OR 2CD OR 3RD TRUCK IN. BUT IF AN OFFICER TELLS YOU SOMETHING YOU SHOULD LISTEN OR FACE WHAT HAPPENS. MAYBE YOUR NOT UNDERSTANDING WHERE THEY ARE COMING FROM. BUT AT JR YOU SHOULD STEP ASIDE FOR ANY CERTIFIED OR OFFICER. BE SAFE AND DONT GIVE UP BECAUSE IT NOT GOING THE WAY YOU THINK IT SHOULD. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IN LIFE THERE IS POLITICS

Forum Member

First off don't be a smart *** to a senior member.
    WOW.. have you considered going back and taking some of your own advice.. Dragonslayer..?

Just so ya know.. firefighters know other firefighters!! And some of us just might know some other Moore County firefighters...

**Edited to add the link for the quote..DOH!**
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...042#post493042

Forum Member

This has to be a troll, no true title post of a thread asking for advise and support would be filled with so many blatent typos and mis-spellings. Otherwise the kid is a moron and the Captains have done the right thing.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by fireguy919
    JR FIREFIGHTERS ARE A GOOD THING. BY THE TIME THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO SEE FIRE THEY HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM ON SCENCE. SOME OLDER GUYS DONT LIKE BEING OUT DONE BY JR'S THOUGH. MY QUESTION IS DID AN OFFICER TELL YOU NOT BE IN FRONT. OR WAS THERE ONLY TWO OF YOU IN THE TRUCK. OR STATION WILL RUN JR'S IF THERE IS ROOOM. OR TANKER(TENDER) SHUTTLES TO BE DONE THEY DO NOT DRIVE BUT SHOTGUN IF THEY ARE IN A SHUTTLE RUN OR 2CD OR 3RD TRUCK IN. BUT IF AN OFFICER TELLS YOU SOMETHING YOU SHOULD LISTEN OR FACE WHAT HAPPENS. MAYBE YOUR NOT UNDERSTANDING WHERE THEY ARE COMING FROM. BUT AT JR YOU SHOULD STEP ASIDE FOR ANY CERTIFIED OR OFFICER. BE SAFE AND DONT GIVE UP BECAUSE IT NOT GOING THE WAY YOU THINK IT SHOULD. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IN LIFE THERE IS POLITICS

~~~~~~~
    FIRST OF ALL I DON'T THINK ANYONE ON HERE (OOOOPS HOLD ON A SECOND...LET ME HIT THIS LITTLE BUTTON ON THE LEFT OF MY KEYBOARD AHHHhhhhhh...there we go that is much easier on the eyes.)

Like I was saying, I don't think that anyone on here thinks that Juniors or Explorers are bad. It is the explorers or juniors that think that the ARE firefighters and complain like they have the right to do so.

If you read the other posts by Mr. Bad-*** Dragonslayer you'll see a repetitive trend of disrespect and weak arguements.

In your own words, the DRAGONSLAYER needs to learn "WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM ON SCENCE" and keep his trap shut about where he gets to sit. There are much larger issues at hand in this young mans career than whether or not he gets a pager or rides in the front part of the cab.

Angry OMG! I cannot believe he did it again

Ok. First off dragonslayer, from one junior to another, SHUT UP!!! You may have a list of certifications a mile long but that doesnt mean anything unless you have the experiance to back it up. My dept. will allow us to ride "the seat" but I have only done it once because I was told too. You wrote in the "junior FF respond on school night" forum that you should respect senior members now I can't and won't speak for anyone else on these forums but I will say that Gonzo knows more about this job and would have been willing to help you with any questions you might have had but you opened your mouth and I dont think that any one here would be willing to help you. Im would be happy to give you advice if you learned a little respect and humility, both are essential for this job.
    Do what you have to do for everyone to go home
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff

September 11th All gave some, some gave all Fever Forget!

Thread Information