CTFD52
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default station light systems

I once saw a minitor II amp charger that had been modified to activate lights or other devices upon tones going off for sale on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had any information on modyfying a charger to do this.

Thanks,

Ben

Forum Member

I don't know about modifications, but Motorola makes/made chargers for all of its Minitor versions which have the necessary outputs for this purpose (OK - I don't know about the original Minitors). The City of Reading (PA) has Minitor IV's running the house bells, speakers and lights in each of its seven stations. I'm sure you can buy the necessary charger ("docking station" would probably be more appropriate) for Minitor III/IV units from any Motorola dealer. Finding one for a Minitor II could be a trick. Try watching ebay, maybe??

dazed and confused

Default Amplified Chargers

http://search.ebay.com/minitor-ampli...jsZ1QQfromZR40

I's, II's and III/IV's

As of post, bidding $10 up to around $100

As for using them to switch on devices... I believe it is recommended that they be used as relays, as they can't switch much of an electrical load themselves.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default Re: Amplified Chargers

Originally posted by Resq14
    As for using them to switch on devices... I believe it is recommended that they be used as relays, as they can't switch much of an electrical load themselves.
    True.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello,

If you can't find what you want I can make one up for you. contact me......

Gary

Forum Member

Please note, not all amplied chargers have the Aux outputs. In fact, most of them do not. It was an ordered option and since 90% of the customers don't need it , 90% of them don't have it. Don't just buy and amplified charger and expect it to have aux outputs.

The other options are a dedicated alert monitor with aux outputs, or a two-way radio programmed for external alarm.

You might want to concider using a tone sequence that is not the same as the pager tones. Mainly because you don't need the lights going on and off for annoucements, nightly tests, officer calls, etc. If you can have a seperate two-tone or DTMF sequence added to the console that has it's own button or part of an exist pre-canned set of tones, it would make things more efficiant. If you use DTMF, you can get multi-output, multi-sequence DTMF decoders that can control several things. You can have tone sequences for lights, doors, a house alarm, etc.

If you want an easy way to turn the lights on and off, here's what I'm planning on doing when I can scrounge the parts:

Replace the truck bay light switches with X-10 switches. Hook an X-10 "Power Flash" module up to whatever alert receiver you end up using. The contact closure of the alert monitor activated the power flash which in turn triggers on the the X-10 light switches. You can even set it to turn them off again after a pre-set amount of time. You can put the X-10 switches on any light you want to control, doesn't have to be just the truck bay. Hallways, outside lights, alarm bells, etc will all work.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

dazed and confused

Good call, it looks like most (if not all) of the current eBay offerings do NOT have the auxiliary outputs.

However, I have seen many on here before WITH them. You just need to make sure you know what you're buying, and ask the seller questions if it's not readily apparent.

Great ideas on the X-10 stuff, nm.

We purchased a programmable VHF two-tone decoder for out station, and it has been nothing but a PITA. Poor audio, sometimes works/sometimes doesn't work, confusing setup, etc. One of these days we're going to go the amplified charger route, or even better, a Zetron alerting system.
    Last edited by Resq14; 03-19-2005 at 12:30 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information