Forum Member

Question Women and Firefighters...

My friends and I were talking the other night and a buddy of mine (who is not in the fire service) who used to play baseball asked a darn good question that I couldn't answer! He said, "In baseball we have girls/women who we call 'Cleat Chasers' because they're in love with all baseball players. What do ya'll call the females who are obsessed with firefighters?" As you can imagine the comments became quite comical, but the best one that I came up with was "Hose Chasers." I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.. as I certainly drew a blank on that question!

former FH.com member

Badge Bunnies, Cops have to deal with them too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Slight variation-hose honeys

District Chief

oh boy...... I see this one getting locked down soon!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

oh boy...... I see this one getting locked down soon!
    I guess I should get mine in now then.........

We always called them "badge buffers." Quite a few girls I knew had a collection of cops, firefighters, EMTs, and Paramedics.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Homewreckers
    IAFF

Forum Member

They come in the MALE persuasion also!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by fflynn17
    They come in the MALE persuasion also!!
    I'm sorry.. I'm not familar with that!!

Forum Member

Women that need to get a life.

and for fflynn17, Men that need to get a life.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

NOt sure what to call them.

I normally call the one that follows me around.

THE WIFE.
    Thanks
    DM

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MacInnis

I normally call the one that follows me around.

THE WIFE.

Mac,

I dunno... I'm the one that usually does the following...

...if I know what's good for me that is....

(yes dear...)
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

must be women who feel sorry for us....cuz we damn sure dont get rich doing this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Sorry to hear that Ladder8
    Thanks
    DM

Forum Member

Originally posted by Ladder8

(yes dear...)
    Two of the most important words a man can learn in a relationship.

Right up there (shudder) "You're right dear" (usually said in vain to attempt to end an argument.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

I've always found it fascinating how women go absolutely ga-ga over men in uniform, especially firefighters. For the most part these are 'civilian' women, although I've known of a few dispatchers and paramedics who've (ahem) made their way through the ranks of the fire service. I've only met one man who wanted to date a female firefighter, and I think that was more for the novelty of it!

When these 'hose bunnies' hear that I work as a fire dispatcher, they are all over me with questions about what it is like working with all those 'gorgeous' men, and asking if I can puleeeze get them dates with any of the firefighters. Conversely, if I am at a fundraising or social event with the guys, and these women see me talking to the firefighters, I get the evil eye, or a few snarky little comments just for being friendly with my co-workers. It's almost as if I was invading their territory!! What territory? The little 3X3 square patch of the bar they've staked out? I could write a doctorate thesis on the mating habits of hose or badge bunnies just from attending a week's worth of 911 nights at the local bars!

Just what IS it about men in uniform? I've worked with you, you're just ordinary, regular guys, no different from any other man out there. Sure, you do a dangerous job, one that a lot of other people wouldn't think of, or be able to do, but I don't think it makes you any better than anyone else out there. I am aware that it takes a certain type of person to be in emergency services, but do those particular qualities make a man a better husband and father, than those men who aren't that type?

I read an interesting theory as to why women go for men in uniform, mainly emergency services, the armed forces and surprisingly, upper echelon corporate types (business suits are a type of uniform in the corporate world). It goes back to our Neanderthal days or earlier, where the biggest, strongest men survived and the females chose them as partners and fathers to their children. The females knew that their families were likely to survive if the males were able to protect them and provide for them. Fast forward to the 21st century, and women are still programmed to think that way (at a most basic, brain stem level). Who are the fittest and strongest men out there? Firefighters, police officers, the military men. Who can provide for them? Same fellows, especially with the nice pension plans most of them have! The uniforms provided for these men are usually cut to fit well, which emphasises their fit, strong bodies (another primal message that this man can and will survive!). Even upper echelon businessmen wear nice suits, made to measure, which again emphasises a fit body, and the financial means to support a family.

However, put a woman in these types of jobs, and you won't see the same type of reaction from the men out there. Women in uniform just don't have the same cachet as men in uniform (unless you guys are talking a maid's uniform, and that is an entirely different thread!)

Anyway, that's my 11 cents worth, discuss, argue or flame me at your leisure. Just remember, I still loves ya, uniforms or not!!

Pat
    Last edited by CommDiva; 03-20-2005 at 12:57 PM.
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Who are they?

Some of the guys I work with might call them homewreckers, however most of them would refer to them as "Strange", if you know what I mean. And yet others might call them another firefighters wife. However I don't care and won't ask so don't tell.

And no I don't think it's "funny to fornicate with loose women"

That's from Ladder 49 I think.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CommDiva
    Just what IS it about men in uniform? I've worked with you, you're just ordinary, regular guys, no different from any other man out there.
    That's exactly what my friend was asking... that's the same problem they have (as baseball players)... hince the name 'cleat chasers'

Forum Member

Fire Groupies
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Looking around right now and I dont see a single woman following me. Wonder what my problem is. Could be too many years crawling around in smoke filled room have taken a beaten on me.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by CommDiva
    [B]It goes back to our Neanderthal days or earlier, where the biggest, strongest men survived and the females chose them as partners and fathers to their children. The females knew that their families were likely to survive if the males were able to protect them and provide for them. Fast forward to the 21st century, and women are still programmed to think that way (at a most basic, brain stem level).
    Personally, having been the only woman on a crew for quite a while, I think this says it best. Also, I think "badge bunnies"(as we call them down here) are attracted to the turnouts. Some of them may have seen Backdraft too many times for their own good and want to reenact the hosebed scene. Also, for those that seem to go more after EMTs or medics, I think they get a kick out of the idea of getting it on in the back of a bus(never mind of course all the "friends" they could pick up in there). The majority of BB's seem to believe (from my experience with them) that there aren't any risks involved in firefighting, that it's all fun and games. I know I'm ranting and I apologize. This happened again last night though so I thought I would put in my two cents here. It may also be because these women see a possible "catch" as a trophy to show off to their girlfriends. I see the men I work with as just that- men, not "superhero hot turnout guy." It does take a special person to do any job in emergency services, but there's more to that person than just the uniform.

A question for the men out there who have been hit on by badge bunnies: Does it make you feel like a piece of meat?
    I'm serious and I'm not meaning to offend anybody here. It seems though as if often these badge bunnies think they're in a supermarket.. "Hmm, I like the marbling on that one, but that one looks nice too. I could just handle them both and see which seems better."

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by MacInnis
    TROUBLE
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

District Chief

Looking around right now and I dont see a single woman following me.
    Me either!

Some of them may have seen Backdraft too many times for their own good and want to reenact the hosebed scene.
    LAughing my **S off!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Originally posted by aklontz

A question for the men out there who have been hit on by badge bunnies: Does it make you feel like a piece of meat?
    I'm serious and I'm not meaning to offend anybody here. It seems though as if often these badge bunnies think they're in a supermarket.. "Hmm, I like the marbling on that one, but that one looks nice too. I could just handle them both and see which seems better."
    MMMMM meat - as far as im concerned they can live in there fantasy world. When Im out yeah some women swoon - Im very polite but if they start to hop behind me I just tell them that my son loves his family the way it is. That usually works - unless its a billionair hottie thats going to whisk me away - guys can dream too!!! Besides your only a piece of meat if you want to be!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Pat and Aklontz great points.
    Being a female in a majority male department. I see alot of these "Badge bunnies". Its pretty pathetic.Hmm funny I dont get the same responce though.
    Other woman on the sight Do you find that men run when they find out what you do for work???Or try to get you to change careers???(Thats what I find)
    I was crack'n up the other night,I was out with the guys for St.Patty's Day and to watch them ("Badge bunnies")in action was just sad.They of course were drinking and as the night went on they got worse.It was pretty funny at one point because one of them asked me the typical outsider female questions "Which ones your boyfriend?" & "Dont you find it hard to control yourself around them?" at that point in the night I was so amused by them that I actually laughed in her face. (OOPS!!)It wasn't intentional it just kinda slipped. But Lets see Um none of them & AH NO! would have to be my answer. Specially after spending all day with the guys on the "window licker bus".
    I dont know after seeing them in action they just aren't anything to get excited over.
    Sorry guys
    Rath De Ort

RSM

Forum Member

Yeah..well...Let 'em see ya get whacked with a road sign once...then they're all like...

"Ummmm...yeah...***covering their mouths to hide the snickering and rolling their eyes***...let's go check out the Paramedics."

May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Thread Information