Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Emergency Evacuation Signals

What does your department use/do for an emergency evacuation signal? We're looking at making a change to our current SOP.

Thanks in advance!!

Forum Member

Tone over the radio with an evacuation message, then all apparatus on scene sounds their air horns for approx. 1 minute in a continuous tone.

MembersZone Subscriber

3 radio announcements then all apparatus sound sirens
    accompanied by at least 5 long blasts on the air horn.
    This is only used for a s**t and get. In other words drop
    everything and get out NOW.
    Bring my brother home and salute him, he earned it! FDNY 343 Never Forgotten

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.wtfd.net/redbook/sog20.html

II. Emergency Evacuation

An emergency evacuation of a building may be necessary when life-threatening conditions exist, such as structural collapse or a rapidly spreading fire and command wants all members to exit a fire building immediately. If emergency evacuation is called for by command the following shall occur:

The incident commander shall make a call for emergency evacuation, upon hearing this transmission the dispatcher shall: set alert tone 3-5 seconds and announce on radio "emergency traffic, all members evacuate fire building immediately", and repeat this message.

Upon the incident commanders request the closest apparatus to the fire building will sound its air horn in the following manner: One Long Blast for 20-30 seconds.

Once emergency evacuation has been called for and started all unit or sector officers shall give command a PAR when exiting a building, and then report to your apparatus for a formal accountability by the safety officer or his designee using the accountability tags.

Once the building has been evacuated and all members accounted for, the IC shall notify dispatch that the building has been evacuated and all members accounted for.

At that time the dispatcher shall briefly set the alert tone for 3 seconds and state "emergency traffic cleared, fire building evacuated and all members accounted for".
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Radio tone and 3 approximately 5 second long air horn blasts.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

The message...

"By orders of (chief on scene) all companies operating on the scene of (insert address here)evacuate the building"

....is repaeted 5 times on the fire ground channel. This is followed by 1 minute of the operator hanging on the chain of the airhorn. This is immediately followed by a MARC roll call to ensure all are out.

so it sounds like...

"By orders of 810 all companies operating on the scene of 5248 Washington evacuate the building" X 5

Airhorns...

MARC...

We have a evacuation tone from the communications center followed by an announcement by the dispatcher, similar to Stlres2cue said.

This is a county wide tone that any agency or any incident commander can request.

Also 3 short blasts of air horn lasting 3 seconds a piece.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Multiple blasts can sound like late-arriving apparatus. I think it's a better idea to go with the 30-60 second continuous blast from all apparatus, in addition to the radio alert tones.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber CrossBro1's Avatar

IC transmits 555 over the radio and the apparatus drivers sound 5 long blows on the horns.

Forum Member

3 evacuation announcements over the radio and 8 blasts of the airhorn of the nearest apparatus to the structure. each blast is to last 3 sec. each.

Massachusetts has a statewide evacuation signal, 30 seconds of continuous blasts of the air horns from every piece of apparatus on the scene.

The radio announcement prior to the sounding of the evac signal is left up to the individual department.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Do the Massachussets systems.

Do you want to be inside going "Uh, was that the third three second long air blasts?" "I dunno, I only heard one, probably some kid hit the button my mistake getting out of the truck!"

Ok, "plain english" soapbox comes out...so much of the fire service today wants everything in "plain english" then we come up with codes for what to call what side of a building...or even worse, a coding system of "so many blasts of such a length means get out" If there was anything that needs a good, plain old vernacular "GET THE F OUT NOW" this is it.

I have heard the MA system in actual use. Fortunately, I was just a spectator there. However, there is no freaking question it means something has hit the fan and there is no trying to way to misinterpret if this is random or part of a coded message!
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

posted by Dalmatian 90
    I have heard the MA system in actual use. Fortunately, I was just a spectator there. However, there is no freaking question it means something has hit the fan and there is no trying to way to misinterpret if this is random or part of a coded message!
    We have used the statewide evac signal once... a 4 alarm condo complex fire where we ended up losing the top floor of one of the two interconnected buildings and 12 apartments total.

14 rigs all sounding their air horns at once is a literal cacaphony, but it is an attention getter and gets the point across in a big hurry. There is no mistaking the signal for "get the hell outta Dodge!"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Continuous whistle blasts over the BA radio frequency until all personnel inside a risk have evacuated and been acounted for.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

I have seen/used the UK system on a number of occassions... there is no mistaking it. Everyone is issued with an ACME Thunderer whistle...and there is no mistaking 30,40, 50....whistles going off at a job. No confusion over garbled radio messages, no need to worry about someone hitting a horn by accident, no need to worry whether a radio is broken.

Just good old lung power and a whistle...and if someone's whistle was busted...everyone else is blowing too. And as with everything in the UKFS it is a standard national practice so if there is a job with a couple of County's operating near the borders...everyone is aware of it.

Keep it simple!!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Command announces it over the radio, followed by 30 second blasts of the airhorns.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

5 second alert tone from dispatch followed by "emergency retreat" three times over the air followed by another 5 second tone. Also 30 second continuous air horn blast from all apparatus on scene. We have air horn buttons on all our pump panels for this purpose
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

3 blasts from airhorns for 20 seconds each by all apparatus on sence with ic giving it over the radio

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave1983
    We have air horn buttons on all our pump panels for this purpose
    That's a great idea Did you guys spec the trucks this way or add them on?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Our 2 newest trucks also have the airhorn buttons on the pump panel......... That's how they were spec'd.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information