Forum Member

Default Scott NxG2 Regulator

How do you keep contamination out of the facepiece mounted regulator on a NxG2? Our volunteer department is looking at new SCBA and that question came up while we were looking over the Scott. Everyone will have their own face mask but will be sharing packs. This is the first Scott we have ever looked at.

MembersZone Subscriber

You'll probably get a million replies on this, and this exact comment is one of MSA's selling points.

I believe Scott's solution is to dunk the regulator in a bleach water solution (or something similar) and let air dry. MSA's claim is that without a one way check valve (whatever they call it), the Scott regulator is subject to contamination.

Scott was also more than happy to point out that their regulator could be submerged, while MSA's wasn't recommended to be.

We wear MSA on our backs, and they work fine. My vote, however, after the pack trials was for Scott. Neither pack, in my opinion, is poor. Ford vs. Chevy.

Forum Member

You have a couple options,Scott makes a quik-connect and individual regulators if money is no object.If it is they offer Multiwash a spray disinfectant that we use and it works well. T.C.

dazed and confused

Multi-wash... the $$$$$$$$$$$$ solution consisting of iodine/betadine and baby shampoo.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scott

There are 2 ways to handle that problem.
    1st- Scott Wash like Resq14 said, it is not alot of money and works well. And being able to "dunk" the regulator to me is a good thing. At a fire there is never water, and I am sure that getting water in the regulator will never happen at a fire with out water. And it will work after it gets wet, since getting wet is part of the job.

2nd- Give each FF regulators and Facepieces. Then you can still perform the "dunk" method in Scott wash, but that regulator and facepiece belong to 1 FF.

Just my thoughts, Stay Safe
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

Forum Member

Huh,YOU AGAIN? Yep,and tested and approved.Maybe our dealer likes us but I didn't find it all that expensive considering where I can shift the liabilities.I really gotta get down east and "whip" you into shape,Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Scott also makes several versions of the masks. One of them has a oneway valve in the opening, and an exhaleation valve in the facepiece. This model has a voice emmiter on one side, and the ex. valve on the other. If you are interested, aI can look up the part number tommorrow.
    Check out my blog: The Fixit Shop

MembersZone Subscriber

We've been using Scotts for years and haven't had any problems. Just rinse it off after a fire and you're good. If you are worried about debris getting in the regulator Scott has a round little plastic piece (at least they did on the 4.5s) that goes on the harness belt that the regulator clips into. It keeps the regulator from flopping around and keeps debris out when not in use. Haven't used the MSA but would you really want to trust you life to something that can't be submerged?

MembersZone Subscriber

Once again,another (Scott's) selling point is the waterproof and submersible regulator. I think once you add the check valves to a Scott, the submersion thing isn't recommended either. The primary concern I believe is freezing in the winter.

Let's be honest, if any of this stuff was junk, it wouldn't be on the market. Scott and MSA have taken differing approaches to reach a goal, each thinks their idea is better, and will defend it to the end. Make YOUR OWN opinions based on what YOU see during pack trials.

I suck the air just as quickly out of our MSA stuff as I did the Scott packs we tried, I don't care what name is on it as long as I can breathe where I shouldn't be able to.

Forum Member

Doc,The contamination we're discussing here is bacterial/viral.And if you're not addressing THAT issue you might want to give it another look.And the belt clips don't do much to prevent it. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by redtrucks View Post
    How do you keep contamination out of the facepiece mounted regulator on a NxG2? Our volunteer department is looking at new SCBA and that question came up while we were looking over the Scott. Everyone will have their own face mask but will be sharing packs. This is the first Scott we have ever looked at.
    I am an NX user, one thingto keep in mind, the regulator's big hole is the exhalation port, not the inhalation port. Air comes into the face piece through nine holes on top of the regulator. If you clean them you will be fine. Just for your info, if you research the CDC, all SCBA's are not immune from this problem. Other brands use this a tool against Scott's (their regulator design), that's why they are called sales people.

Thread Information