Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Military, How Much?

Greeting all,
    I have been browsing Captain Bob's site. These Nuggets, how much is too much? After I came out of a board with the local volunteer station I realized I had turned into one of those guys I can't stand, i.e. In the Coast Guard this, In the Coast Guard that. The thing is, when we get guys from the Navy all they talk about is how they did it in the Navy (please no offense). As you all know the amount of experience and knowledge one gains from the military is vast, however my experience since high school has been primarily military. Is that all I have for my "nuggets"? How much is too much? How about Personal history; family life, marriage, growing up?

Very Respectfully,

aaron

MembersZone Subscriber

I think your service time speaks a great deal about you. Never think that that is not enough. Be proud of your service time and let all who you come in contact with know you are proud. I have 17 years of military service.

Forum Member

beaudoinkr,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. You couldn't have said it better. I just went through an oral board with a paid department. And, I did compare the military to the fire department. Because, there is alot of similarities.

John

There is a fine with that. On the one hand most who go into the miltary learn life lessons that will help them in a cereer in the fire dept. On the other hand it is the fire dept and is not the miltary. Most guys are humble in their experience. On the other hand some guys think being in the service gives them rank in the firehouse, those guys will useally get put in their places. Always remember the first they taught us "walk softly and carry a big stick"

MembersZone Subscriber

So Chick,
    As it pertains to an oral board, how much is enough? Attitude around the station is one thing, selling myself to the panel is something different. May I have some example of board answer you used to score your job?

Question 2: To the prior/current military folks, Is a qualification board in the military, much different than in the civil world? I think so. I think you need to be more personable.

Forum Member

Default Can you imagine a Navy Seal Medic who couldnít get hired?

This is the biggest problem Iíve seen on oral boards when seasoned military veterans take entry level tests is they canít place themselves in the position they are applying for; that of being a snotty nosed rookie. They try to hammer the oral board with their credentials thinking the board will just hand them the job. Their oral board skills are rusty and antiquated. No, itís not like a qualification board in the military. Itís hard for them to remember how it was to be a private.

There is a delicate balance here. Leave your time and rank in your locker. You must be humble, place yourself in the rookie position and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, youíre dead meat. This is not easy for many seasoned candidates. An attitude adjustment is needed. Attitude is a small thing that can make the big difference. Remember the position youíre applying for.

The seasoned veteran candidate can roar past any of the other candidates if his attitude and game plan are in place.

May I have some example of board answer you used to score your job?

This alone can create problems because itís not your stuff. You have a unique opportunity to creative use your military experience to your advantage.

Can you imagine a Navy Seal Medic who couldnít get hired?

Yep, thatís right. This super qualified candidate couldnít get hired. Why? He couldnít pass the oral high enough to get called back.

The cornerstone of what we do is to convince candidates to lace their oral board answers with personal life experiences. This alone will separate you from the other candidates. Because no one can tell your story. No one.

I worked with this Navy Seal. Like many candidates he was stuck in the process. He had a lot of clone garbage. At one point he held up one of those books with all the answers and said, "Should I still use the answers out of this book?" I told him, "Not if he wanted to get hired." On one of his answers I stopped him. OK, now tell me a personal story that can relate to this answer? The story he starts with we throw out. The second story too. No, no, not the clone stuff. Tell me your personalized story that no one else can tell. The light went on.

He regrouped. Then he started telling the story of being in Afghanistan. He took me on the journey with him. The hairs on my arms and neck stood up. It was exciting, emotional. He relived it. I said, oh, my god. Thatís it. Rick said, you mean I can use that? Please do. It delivers the point in answering this oral board question. It will convince the panel you not only know the answer, you have lived it!

At the end of the coaching session he had a new killer presentation. All his own stuff. Not a clone of everyone else. Like the Tin Man in the Wizzard of Oz, we didn't give him anything he didn't already have. He was just shown where it was.

I told him if youíre not hired on your next interview you will be picked up soon by someone else. His next interview was the following week. I told Rick theyíre going to be ****ing all over themselves now trying to hired you before someone else does.

On Tuesday at 4:30 pm the phone rings. Itís Rick. You were right. I got the call.

What got him hired? Not packing on more certs. He already had what it took. He just needed the necessary oral board skills.

Iíll let the Navy Sea tell you how he did it:

Captain Bob -
    Well finally here it is: my story of how your services aided me in securing a career with an awesome fire department. Have patience, as I may begin by rambling, but once the ideas start flowing hopefully it will turn out well.

There I was, fresh out of the military with my wife and 2 children and only prospective fire jobs - nothing by any means was for certain. Although I thought I had given it enough time by starting the search a year before my end of service date, the California budget crunch and the super competitive hiring process were proving formidable enemies to our meeting our objective - a secure, well-paying fire career at a department with a good reputation.
    I had no fire experience whatsoever and mostly military paramedic experience, and although I did have NREMT-P and CAEMT-P certification, I barely had any civilian time on a box. Times were tight.

My heartbreak had come 6 months earlier - My first testing process was for an extremely well-paying department - I thought I had it nailed - the department was my hometown growing up, and I foolishly believed that just because I was a combat veteran of an elite unit that they would hand the job over to me. Well, I had no interview experience. When I finished the interview, I thought it went pretty well, until I received the rejection letter X-mas Eve 5 months before the end of my service. Good X-Mas? No.

At that point, once I finished the stages of dealing with grief, I decided that I needed to utilize all available resources and overwhelm the enemy with superior firepower. The enemy? Let us be honest: other candidates, of course, but most of all, the seemingly intangible guerilla agent of the firefighting application process: The Interview!

Instead of my AC-130 Gunship and Cobra Helicopters, I called on Capt. Bob to provide me with the tools of the trade that I needed to overwhelm the interview panel. I quickly found out that most applicants' biggest enemy is them self and their refusal to train for the interview as one trains for the physical or written. Why?

Training for the interview is a pain and uncomfortable. You have to look in the mirror and face your weaknesses instead of just bolstering your strengths by practicing what you already excel at. How many candidates do you think have the internal fortitude to do that? Some, but luckily for you and I, not many.

I trained with Capt. Bob using his recommended techniques. I walked into the interview panel with interview Standard Operating Procedures and Immediate Action Drills at the ready. I felt confident. I went to the Chief's interview. I received the conditional offer. I took the psych, background, and medical. I received the unconditional offer. I consulted with Captain Bob every step of the way, which goes to show he is with you every step of the way. I start the academy in 1 week for an incredible department with unlimited opportunities. Even though I will still be probationary for a little while, my blood pressure has probably dropped 20 systolic.

The interview will make or break you. DO NOT LEAVE IT TO CHANCE. EXPLOIT ALL AVAILABLE RESOURCES AND USE OVERWHELMING PREPARATORY POWER TO CONQUER THE INTERVIEW PANEL IN ONE AND ONLY ONE DECISIVE ENGAGEMENT. THE UNITED STATES DID NOT BECOME THE WORLD'S ONLY SUPERPOWER BY REFUSING TO FACE ITS WEAKNESSES, AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. Remember, if it is easier not to do it in the short term, it's probably the right thing to do.

Thank you Captain Bob for providing crucial guidance at an extremely intense time in my life. If you are serious about attaining your goal, there is no excuse for not using this resource.

Sincerely,Rick

Ya got to love it!

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you all for your advice. CaptBob, well put as always. I like the mindset of a "boot" idea, I will certainly make adjustments.

Respectfully,

aaron

Default Yo...

The good news is you knew right off of the bat where your
    problem was. And Bob just laid it out pretty good.

My advice cant be much different. I would recommend
    balance. Balance everything from your life,
    high school, girlfreind(s), parents, friends, teachers,
    etc.

You got so much to draw from. Sprinkle everything you
    got around the oral board. Use the military as a piller,
    but not the only one.

Hope that makes sense.

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

CALFFBOU,

It is great you mentioned balance. For the past year that has been my theme. Also there is a Japanese motto I try to go by, ďKaizenĒ, I was told it meant, constant never ending improvement, continuous incremental improvements. Thanks for your input.

aaron

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Awards are a good thing..maybe

Hey,

Just my insignifigant 2 cents...

I just got back from Iraq and I had earned a Bronze star and a Army Commmendation medal with Valor. One good tip is doing a portfolio with all my F/F certs and have my awards and that narratives that are required to get those medals awarded in the last few pages of the 'folio. After getting hired the Chief said that he read the narritave about my medals while he was interviewing me and he felt it was as good as a letter of reccomendation from the commanding general..little did he know that level of medals are approved by the general, of course, as many of you know. Capatilize on your military expirence...do the award thing..most civilians have a general impression that a Army Commendation medal might sound a little better than a Army Achievement medal and if they dont somebody in the department does and odds are good you might have somebody on as board that is prior service.

Its not perfect but it worked for me

MembersZone Subscriber

Turisops,
    Thanks for your service and your reply. During you oral board were the majority of your answers based on Military experience? Were all/most of your examples from your service?

Thread Information