Forum Member

Lightbulb Texas/Colorado Firefighting Certification???

Hi. I'm trying to pursue a firefighting career and have a general idea of where to get started. However, if I wanted to live in either Texas or Colorado, what do I need to do in regards to certifations, etc? How do I know whether or not these certifications will transfer from state to state? I've talked with a few local FL firefighters and they say that I would need to go to EMS school, which typically lasts about 3 months and costs about $500. Please let me know as much info. as possible, so I can get started. Thanks.

Kevin
    Naples, FL

former FH.com member

Smile

Drop me a PM and I'll answer any questions about TX.

Forum Member

Arrow Attn: SAFD46Truck

I just tried to PM you, but it says your mailbox is full. And after all that typing

Kevin

former FH.com member

Angry Dammit!

I don't know why that keeps happening, my inbox only had 1 message in it, I lose more messages that way! Anywho, I guess just fire away with your questions here. Sorry about that.

Forum Member

Default What about the following...?

I just found this on firehouse. Is this something I could do intially?

Kevin

http://dallasfirerescue.com/recruit.htm

former FH.com member

Thumbs up

Sure, go for it. The big cities such as Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio do not require previous certs. or experience. If you test well and get hired they will train you at their own academies.

SAFD is testing again this spring and is looking to hire between 40-90 cadets to keep pace with retirements. Houston is also pretty much continuously hiring.

SAFD recruiting info

Houston recruiting info

Forum Member

Default Thanks!

Hey, I appreciate it I just emailed my contact info to the Dallas recruiting and now will do it for the Houston area. If I wanted to work outside of Dallas in the suburbs, what are my chances, etc?

Kevin

former FH.com member

If you want to work in a suburban FD you'll probably need to get your cert's first. Many local colleges offer a fire academy so you can get your TX ff commission, they also usually offer the EMT-B course you will also need.

Here is the Texas Commission on Fire Protection website where you can find more answers and contact numbers. TCFP

Forum Member

46 Truck,It's a FH PROBLEM! Mine's EMPTY and they say it's full,so it's not just you.WEBTEAM you listening? T.C.

Forum Member

Hey Kevin,

I can help you out with the surrounding cities around dallas or fort worth. Most of them require you to be a paramedic. If I am not mistaken I believe Dallas and forth worth are the only city that you dont have to be anything to get on. The only thing with Dallas is that the waiting list is 2 years, my brother just got hired with them and its been over 2 years since he put in his app. Hes certified medic and ff, but he still has to go thru their academy.

Here is the link to Fort Worth
    http://www.fortworthgov.org/hr/fire.asp
    Dallas
    http://www.dallasfirerescue.com/
    Arlington
    http://www.ci.arlington.tx.us/fire/

You can also look at this link, its for the NFACT cities(or midcities)it tells you about the process and requirements for the midcities. Hope this helps
    http://fire.ci.bedford.tx.us/NFACT.htm
    Joe FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Kevin,

Denton Tx, is a suburb of Dallas (kinda), they do not require any certs to be hired. The city has good benefits and stays pretty busy.

You can find more info at www.cityofdenton.com
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Forum Member

I appreciate all the feedback guys! Keep it coming. I'm doing all I can to get started. Thanks again

Kevin
    Naples, FL

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma State University: Stillwater, OK

I can help with any questions from Colorado. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help you with.

OSUFire1

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking full boxes

San Antonio and Rescue101 check your sent boxes. That may be what is taking up space in your PM box. Empty out the sent box and see if that helps.

Cheffie

ps. Good luck Kevin.

former FH.com member

Thanks Cheffie, '77 sent me that tip yesterday and it worked.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I'm continuing my search on firefighting. My situation is this. I'm getting married around the August/September area here in FL. Wedding plans are going into full throttle soon, so I won't be wanting to take any job opening until that time in Aug./Sep. Anyway, I wanted to know the easiest route to take in order to find out what stations (in what state) will hire me based on a passing of a test (civil service exam), physical, and then interview. I don't mind going through lots of training in and out of the classroom, etc. Thanks.

Kevin
    Naples, FL

Looking to live in CO, TX, or VA

Forum Member

1Blessed

How is the search to gain a TX FF Cert going. Do you have a FL Cert? If so you may be able to just test and get your TX Cert without haveing to go to the acadamy again. What EMS level do you have if any. I am on my department hiring board and might be able to give you some leads if you like. Drop me a line if you want to talk. Good luck in your upcoming marrage and Career as a Firefighter. Texas is a great place to live and work.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

I haven't done a single thing in regards to certs, etc yet. I just got off the phone with the Houston, TX firefighting recruiting center and this is what I gathered. If I'm a college graduate with NO firefighting experience or tests under my belt, I will need to take a civil service exam given by the state I want to live in--CO, TX, or VA. Then if I do well, I will be given a call for an interview, polygraph, physical fitness test, etc. I think I will get a job in my field first, but at the same time be pursuing firefighting

Kevin
    Last edited by 1BlessedGuy; 04-07-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Thread Information