Default Vandalism to YOUR station?

3/21/05

We came back from a recent MVA call, noticed that there was OIL all over the side of our station, I mean it was spread out, flung out. Anything like this happen to your station before?

And the kids that did this, also keyed up a truck 4 years ago that we just got back from the paint booth.

What a fun night it was cleaning it up

Forum Member

Have they been apprehended or do you know who they are? They would probably be prosecuted to the fullest and hopefully have a boatload of community service time to spend at the fire station cleaning up said mess and any other "fun" jobs we can find. Painting hydrants, painting the floor striping, cleaning bathrooms, scrubbing hose, etc...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Well I know them,the chief knows them,my father knows then, mostly the entire station knows them from the "Key Job" they did to out 1974 Imperial we had to get Re-Painted after they took keys and scratched it up.

Forum Member

We've had TVs and wallets stolen out of stations, cars broken into in the parking lots, and not too long ago, I arrived to work to find out one of the offgoing guys had his windshield shot out overnight.

I thought it was odd that we had 9 foot high fences with barbed wire around our parking lots when I first hired on. Now I know why!

Also, we caught a homeless guy throwing rocks at our app bay windows not too long ago. Another captain caught a guy climbing in the kitchen window at 2 am. maybe it's time to get the BFD.

MembersZone Subscriber

And I thought our neighborhood was shady...couldnt imagine getting windows shot out..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like people are biting the hands that feed them. I can understand some aggression towards cops (and why people don't take more action against them), but going after the one group of people who no matter what, are gonna come save your butt when you need it the most? I dunno, maybe it's some sort of misplaced angst towards authority. Hopefully you catch the idiots doing it, and can come up with an equally punishing (and public) retribution. I dunno, how about washing the undercarriages of your trucks for a month straight, in the parking lot of a grocery store, wearing a sign that says "I vandalized a fire station, look at me now". Be sure to get the trucks good and muddy first. The public scorn by itself should be enough to get the point across.

Forum Member

We ran into this yesterday we went on a call about lunch time. And upon returning to the station noticed someone shoot a whole in a window on one of our big bay doors.

We also have had tools and medical supplies stolen. But the winner though we had someone steal TWO BOTTLES OF WATER. Broke into the station kicked in a few of the office doors and only took two bottles of water. They caught the guys who stole the equipment and the other one who stole the bottles of water.

MembersZone Subscriber

A firehouse is a piece of critical infrastructure and should be protected as such.

HOw many of you who had damage done while you were on a call left your bay doors open (the stupidest thing that you can do)?

Not us, we NEVER leave the bay doors open, nor the door we use to get into the building. There are only 3 windows on our station. And everything else is surrounded by brick including the offices.

Forum Member

Originally posted by 292NJFD
    Well I know them,the chief knows them,my father knows then, mostly the entire station knows them from the "Key Job" they did to out 1974 Imperial we had to get Re-Painted after they took keys and scratched it up.
    Just curious, but what punishment was done 4 years ago from the "Key job"?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Constant Vandalism & theft... the Bay doors front and back have to be secured with hooks so you unhook them then hit the open button or they will force their way in to steal equipment.

Stones and Rocks thrown into the yard damaging cars, Windows are blackened out and toughened to stop them being smashed or the PC's being seen and stolen.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Question

Originally posted by 292NJFD

Since you guys know who did this, What are you going to do about it?

Breaking into fire stations isn't new. It has been going on for years. Most stations have nice stuff, TV's and other good stuff in the stations.

Having had a station robbed and equipment and money taken is old hat for us. Having gun fire striking the station isn't new either. It is very common in old cities when stations are located in areas that really aren't the very best.

Keep the doors and windows locked at all times. Make sure the apparatus floor door in all the way down before the apparatus proceeds to an alarm.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information