Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Which color Scheme is SAFER?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • White

7 18.92%
  • White over Red

20 54.05%
  • Black over Red

0 0%
  • Yellow

10 27.03%
  • Black

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Permanently Removed AsstEngineer292's Avatar

Default What color scheme is SAFER and more effective

Now, my company runs all white trucks with blue and red striping. We think it's better because the trucks are lit up easier at night.

Wait, I thought all real firetrucks were red??

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

we run safety green. as we tell our local dept. when you run a firetruck enought it fades from red to green lol.

Forum Member

Proper EMERGENCY LIGHTING makes the apparatus more visible. Paint is just paint

Birken

when you run a firetruck enought it fades from red to green lol.
    That is a good one. Better than the green being a fire truck that hasn't ripened to red yet.

Have to agree here. Paint means nothing. The lighting (especially at night) is going to get the job done. Reflective striping as well.

Some twit that isn't paying attention at a scene is nto going to pay more attention because of the color of the truck. You're just being fooled if you think otherwise.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I agree, paint is paint. One of our local departments has day-glo orange rigs and another has slime green/yellow. The day-glo orange rigs get into more accidents then any of the other area departments. And the one with the slime green/yellow has just as many as the largest department in my area, which runs all red rigs.

We run white over red rigs. I know of two accidents in the 22 years I have been with the department. One was a white over red rig and the other was a rescue (ambulance) with KKK colors.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

That is a good one. Better than the green being a fire truck that hasn't ripened to red yet.

never heard that one before thanks for the laugh. I'll pass that along to my guys

We use red paint and yellow, bleu, white and red reflective markings.
    We can only use bleu and white flashing, revolving lights.

ffemt19

Default Color scheme/striping

I think the combination of quality lighting packages and reflective trim according to requirements is best. We opted for a reflective striping pattern that was different to the area and for our apparatus. Some even call it the Kentucky Fried Chicken package. Various European apparatus have the trademark chevron on the back of their apparatus in red/orange and variations of that. Clearwater florida apparatus has a unique dayglo type paint that seems to be very effective. I've included a pic of Eng. 4 with the striping package we included on all our new apparatus. Career dept. in New England.

Originally posted by BirkenVogt

Birken
    I also agree, at night do you really see the color of the truck? No all that stands out is the lighting.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Default Color vs. Lighting

I would have to say that the lighting is the most important factor on a fire apparatus. The color really does not matter because at night time you really can't see much of any coloring unless it is flashing i.e. the light or reflective like the stripping. Also I must add that all the trucks in my hometown consist of different colors from each firehouse but mostly we are all red with one is red and white with a blue strip... That replaced a yellow or green color truck never could tell the difference. However we still run a truck of that lime green or yellow color as a pumper truck and the rest are plan red with different lighting features. I think the lighting on the Truck is much more important!!!!!!
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I disagree completely. Paint is clearly the most important factor as can be attested to by our 25year old engine that has never had an accident (save a small introduction to a tree by a careless operator).

Therefore Blue and Green is OBVIOUSLY the safest combination on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking What's Color Got To Do With Anything?

Here's one example of a common everyday paint job, that is seen everywhere. Just in case the Paint doesn't do it, This sucker has 146 lights on it. Blind people see us coming. About half of the lights are LEDs, and they are VERY effective.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-21-2005 at 06:24 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Clearwater florida apparatus has a unique dayglo type paint that seems to be very effective.
    Read my earlier post. Thats who I was talking about

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Default Re: What's Color Got To Do With Anything?

Originally posted by hwoods
    Here's one example of a common everyday paint job, that is seen everywhere. Just in case the Paint doesn't do it, This sucker has 146 lights on it. Blind people see us coming. About half of the lights are LEDs, and they are VERY effective.

Please tell me your counting compartment lights and turn signals

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Permanently Removed AsstEngineer292's Avatar

Birken wrote
    Well your correct but if the paint is red and your on a night call the truck isn't as visible as it would be white. I agree that paint is paint yes but the paint being white AND PROPER EMERGENCY LIGHTING keeps the truck lit up and able to be seen alot better than white over Red.

doesnt matter if it was neon. some rubber necker would still hit it anyway tring to see what was happening

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

hwoods...I concur...

Have to agree here. Paint means nothing.
    Not necessarily true. I took a couple of art classes in college (in my former life ) and I remember learning about color, and that the human eye picks out some colors better than others, according to scientific studies. Black on yellow is one combination that the eye picks up easily...that's why they make warning signs on the highways in that format.

I think fire trucks are traditionally red because at the time of the first motorized fire apparatus, just about everything else on the road was black...so red would really stand out. However, today there are lots of colors on the road, so red doesn't catch the attention like it once did. Hence we have the day-glo's, the lime greens, and the bright yellow.

Another reason red and white are so popular...they're cheaper. Anybody spec'd out a truck lately? Red and white are standard colors, they come from the factory that way. Ask for any other color and they have to repaint it.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Default Paint ........nothing

We run red over white BUT..............the ONLY thing that makes any rig safe is a good operator, seatbelts and good drivers training and skills.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Re: Paint ........nothing

Originally posted by Weruj1
    We run red over white BUT..............the ONLY thing that makes any rig safe is a good operator, seatbelts and good drivers training and skills.
    Could we get a big AMEN!
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information