Forum Member

Default Long time lurker, First time poster

Hey all,

I've been lurking around here for quite some time now just checking out the type of thing you've got going on and I'm sure its no news to you that for the most part, you guys and gals are all very impressive.

I'm 20 years old and recently moved to Trenton, NJ from Monmouth county to persue my dream of fighting down here in trenton. I went down to HQ down on Perry street (if anyone knows the area) and they really didn't offer me much advise as far as how I should go about actually starting the entire process. They sent me to town records and registration where they said I had to wait until october to fill out the app. Ok, good, an answer

So now I'm waiting until october (unless you guys know of something that has to happen prior to the application process). I've been training 6 days a week, three hours a day and will continue to until its time to hang up my cover and have also been reading most of the training material here on firehouse.com, great, inspiring stuff.

Anyway, sorry about the long winded first post. Take care guys and gals, nice to take my seat among the crowd

-Pat Whalen

MembersZone Subscriber

Does Trenton hire off of the State Civil Service List or do they have a Chief's Exam? Where are you from in Monmouth? I work at the Weapons Station.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Pat...

Welcome.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dude, there are two key factors (three really, but I'll start a war discussing the third one) that you need to consider to get hired anywhere in NJ.

1. Get an address in the city. Really live there. Register to vote, get a phone line, register your car there and anticipate that your address will be investigated once you get hired by an organization representing a certain group of fire fighters.

2. Get yourself in as good physical condition as possible. The written portion of the test is written at about the third grade level and has nothing to do with FF. Get the absolute highest score you can possibly get on the physical.

Good luck. Trenton is a great FD.

Forum Member

i wanna hear the third now....lol
    EMT/FF

FOOPS

Forum Member

Originally posted by BucksEngine78
    Does Trenton hire off of the State Civil Service List or do they have a Chief's Exam? Where are you from in Monmouth? I work at the Weapons Station.
    I'm honestly not sure. I'm going by the HQ on Perry tomorrow and figuring out the whole run down. I was actually kind of hoping that some firemen in NJ could give me some information on how the process works, how the academy works, how the tests are layed out. That sort of information, before I went in with my eyes blindfolded infront of a Chief, or Leutenant. I used to live in Hazlet in monmouth country. You work at Earl? I was in Civil Air Patrol for 6 years stationed out of Fort Monmouth and was at Earl once a month. My original home where my parents still live is down Highway 36 further, off of Palmer Ave.

Forum Member

Originally posted by StLRes2cue
    Hey Pat...

Welcome.
    Thanks. I've been trying to read all the old threads and stuff just to get sort of "caught up" on who's who and what's what.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Dude, there are two key factors (three really, but I'll start a war discussing the third one) that you need to consider to get hired anywhere in NJ.

1. Get an address in the city. Really live there. Register to vote, get a phone line, register your car there and anticipate that your address will be investigated once you get hired by an organization representing a certain group of fire fighters.

2. Get yourself in as good physical condition as possible. The written portion of the test is written at about the third grade level and has nothing to do with FF. Get the absolute highest score you can possibly get on the physical.

Good luck. Trenton is a great FD.
    As far as number 1. I live in Trenton. I'm a tennant while I'm at college (The College of New Jersey (Formerly Trenton State)) living with three other guys. I haven't had my mailing address changed officially although the utiliities and what not are in my name so I legally "live here"

Number 2. I never had a problem with staying in physical shape. Being 20, I've always had a knack for being able to put down two whole pies and still remaining 175-180 no matter what. What I lacked was stamina and a little more muscle mass. I do cardio/swimming roughly 8 hours a week, 2 hours with static stretching and what not so I dont get all "locked up" and unflexable and the remainder of the time I do mostly weight training. Any other tips as far as working out and remaining fit?

I don't know much about the tests as far as written and phsyical. I have a friend who took both in NY and hes not the "sharpest crayon in the box" and scored very well on the written but said the physical was a bear but he did awesome on that too. Unfortunately, he decided to go NYPD. Shame.

I'm also interested to hear about the third point. Inter-political B.S. and being blunt about stuff is what I'm all about. Lets hear it

Thanks,

-Pat

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm also interested to hear about the third point. Inter-political B.S. and being blunt about stuff is what I'm all about. Lets hear it
    You'll figure it out soon enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma State University: Stillwater, OK

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

You'll figure it out soon enough.

Isn't that the truth.....

Forum Member

Aww, come on now! Two people know what "number three" is and I'm still in the dark.

Forum Member

Originally posted by TrentonFF
    Aww, come on now! Two people know what "number three" is and I'm still in the dark.
    Hey TrentonFF Make that three people. That's why I went south to New Castle County, Delaware. Still Volunteer in NJ but the Get Paid to Fight Fire and do EMS in N.C.C. Del. Why one might ask ?

Simple answer.....No Politics {County Government has enough scandals going on to worry about the FD} and the hiring process is much much easier...expirence in the fire service and being an EMT is a must but alot easier to get hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any questions regarding recruitment, testing dates, test scores, and eligibility rankings should be directed to the NJ Department of Personnel for assistance.

Currently the Trenton Fire Department conducts firefighter hiring by utilizing a Civil Service list maintained by the New Jersey Department of Personnel. Specific information regarding firefighter entry positions is available at http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...ghter_opps.htm

Applications are available from the NJ Department Of Personnel web site. Applications are announced and will be posted on the NJDOP website. Applications are in .pdf format which will require you to have the freely distributed Acrobat Reader installed prior to downloading. You will then be required to complete, and mail in the applications along with a $35.00 fee directly to the NJ Department of Personnel.

Once you have taken the civil service exam you will then be ranked according to score, and will be notified accordingly. Applicants who achieve a high ranking will be certified by the Department of Personnel, and the hiring procedure will begin with the appointing authority as the need for additional firefighters arise.

If you would like further information, you can contact the NJ Department of Personnel directly at (609) 292-4144, or visit their website at http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

MembersZone Subscriber

From what others have posted here and from my limited knowledge about the NJSCS process a few tips:

If you REALLY want to get on in Trenton, REALLY change your address there. Change your DL, insurance, everything. Don't have anything sent to your old (parents?) house. This will establish your residency. Simply having bills sent there is one step but not enough.

Second, NJ only offers a civil service exam for firefighter once every couple of years. If I remember correctly, the last one was in 2003 or 2004. So my best guess is another one is coming up this year or next (maybe someone who actually took the exam can shed some more light on this). Getting hired off the civil service exam is EXTREMELY difficult, especially if you do not receive veterans preference. I work with a guy who has been on one list or another for nearly 20 years. Now he works with me for the feds.

My advice to you would be to go to a station and talk to some of the guys there rather than trying to get in touch with the Chief. They have all gone through the process and may be able to help you out.

From what I understand, Trenton is a good department to work for so good luck.

After typing I found this at TruckSkipper's link:

The Department of Personnel (DOP) expects to announce the next Entry-level Fire Fighter Examination on or about May 2005, and to accept applications for the exam through mid- September 2005.

The written and teamwork components of the exam are tentatively scheduled for February/March of 2006; the physical performance component is tentatively scheduled for the summer of 2006. If this timeline is met, eligible candidate lists will be available by late fall, 2006.

This schedule is subject to U.S. Department of Justice review of the exam.

There are three parts to the Entry-level Fire Fighter Examination: a written cognitive (thinking) test, a teamwork test, and a physical performance test. Each part counts for one-third the final score. Candidates who fail any part of the exam are disqualified.
    Last edited by BucksEngine78; 03-22-2005 at 11:34 AM.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Thread Information