Thread: Chatterbox

Forum Member

Wink Chatterbox

Let's start taking about some interesting things!!! Stories, comments, or questions.....Ask or tell away! No making fun of "old people" in here it's because of them we have a junior program anyways!! So come on peoples...tell me something funny or scary or maybe even something exciting, like the first fire you helped fight!!! Ready...Set...Tell....

Forum Member

i remember my first time being in a confined space training and i was in there with my friend, we were partners, and my brother is an advisor and was watching to make sure it was all done right, and i was looking for my waist strap in the dark when i was doffing and my friend was like gosh hurry up and kept giving me crap, and i was I CANT FIND MY THINGY! and he started making fun of my for that and he was like well i didnt know you had a thingy it was pretty funny, im still trying to get used to doing stuff with my gloves on!!! Just being a girl i get a bunch of crap, like when we were doing ropes and knots, ugh i wont even start!
    Kat

Champaign Explorer Post 207

Forum Member

ropes and knots is a PIA! im still having trouble getting the bowline done.

Forum Member

i don't have much of a problem with knots since I am in the Boy Scouts and am an avid rappeller and rock climber. Our post will hopefully be doing some rope training this summer. I have already started to teach some basic knots.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

yea knots are cake, being an eagle scout Ive taken so much of what i apply in scouts to explorers and vice versa.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Forum Member

it wasnt exactly the knots i had trouble with, they were pretty easy, its just the fact there was some of the guys there and ropes and we were learning to do handcuffs just for fun, i learned not to volunteer to see if they work!! thats how rumors get started then also i made the mistake of doing my hair is pig tails, just beacuse it was quick and it got my hair out of the way, and so my cousin ties a rope around one pigtail and one of my other guy friends thats there takes a rop on the other one and grabs it with his hand and they both pull, yeah i also learned not to wear pig tails to explorers, exscpecially when you are doing ropes and knots! haha it was definatley a night to remember!
    Kat

Forum Member

Thumbs up

LOL!! I haven't had to tie any knots yet!! But, man the way you guys put it I don't want to......Keep up the good work with the interesting stories!! Sorry about not being able to wear pig tails fire chick, I love wearing my hair like that to keep it out of my face during training!! the guys don't relly say anyhing to us girls about that kind of stuff.. They definetly don't tie ropes in our hair!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Maverick9110E
    ropes and knots is a PIA! im still having trouble getting the bowline done.

i find it to be very easy. which way are you tring to tie it.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

At last year's Mock Disaster Day in Monroe, MI, the guys at my station were bored so we decided to call into dispatch and tell them to send the police because there was a Jeep and a pickup speeding through our station area. What we didnt tell them was that we were actually the ones in the cars and we hadnt started to drive yet. So once we saw the police car and the police explorers running behind it, we took off. We drove all over the fairgrounds with these guys chasing us and we finally went back to our station and abot 15 guys piled out of these two cars and started running. Well, I ran into our Explorer trailer to hide when one of the firefighters who was with us leaned on the trailer and whispered "When I say, run like a bat outta hell" Then he counted to three and I took off. I was in my uniform boots which are like 9" Rockys and they werent laced so I was slipping out of them and realized with shoes like this, I would never out run them. So, being a member of the football team, I turned and started running at them. Some turned away and ran away but most kept coming. I just lowered my shoulder and kept on running. I bowled over about 5 before the other 15 tackled me. They carried me over and were about to cuff me when an explorer stuck a training shotgun at me. I couldnt resist and yanked it out of his hand turning it on him. This, also caused me to be tackled and thrown in cuffs. But in the end it was all a joke and we had to leave because we had a "call".

That is why in my profile it says "Dispatch to all stations, please do not create you own scenarios!"
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 04-28-2005 at 06:41 PM.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
    At last year's Mock Disaster Day in Monroe, MI, the guys at my station were bored so we decided to call into dispatch and tell them to send the police because there was a Jeep and a pickup speeding through our station area. What we didnt tell them was that we were actually the ones in the cars and we hadnt started to drive yet. So once we saw the police car and the police explorers running behind it, we took off. We drove all over the fairgrounds with these guys chasing us and we finally went back to our station and abot 15 guys piled out of these two cars and started running. Well, I ran into our Explorer trailer to hide when one of the firefighters who was with us leaned on the trailer and whispered "When I say, run like a bat outta hell" Then he counted to three and I took off. I was in my uniform boots which are like 9" Rockys and they werent laced so I was slipping out of them and realized with shoes like this, I would never out run them. So, being a member of the football team, I turned and started running at them. Some turned away and ran away but most kept coming. I just lowered my shoulder and kept on running. I bowled over about 5 before the other 15 tackled me. They carried me over and were about to cuff me when an explorer stuck a training shotgun at me. I couldnt resist and yanked it out of his hand turning it on him. This, also caused me to be tackled and thrown in cuffs. But in the end it was all a joke and we had to leave because we had a "call".

That is why in my profile it says "Dispatch to all stations, please do not create you own scenarios!"
    This has got to be an example of the most unprofessional behavior I have heard of in some time. Is this how your Explorer post operates all the time? I'm surprised it hasn't been disbanded.

Seriously, people put a lot of work into organizing these drills. Just because you're "bored" does not give you the authority to change the scenario or make false calls to Dispatch. Guess what? When you're in the fire service for real you will get stuck with assignments that are boring. Life's like that. Deal with it.

This behavior is not funny, it is sickening. Someone could have been injured for real. What's next? I guess you guys could go set some abandoned buildings on fire next time things get "boring".

If I were the chief of your department I would take a real hard look at whether our Explorer program should be continued......

Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Permanently Removed

I have no choice but to agree with the above poster, this could've turned out to be an actual emergency, causing scenarios like this is what gets people killed,it's wreckless. That is not what a Fire Company does at anytime, I don't care what anyone says. Someone could've gotten killed then what? Insurance company would've done nothing since it was a "Fake call" and that would've gotten your comapny into some serious trouble. I recommend that should this happen again, the explorer program should be terminated or removal of privelages on riding apparatus for a minimum of 6 months no pleads of"It was for fun" which would just dig you deeper. Again yes I'm a junior firefighter but still even I wouldn't be this damn stupid! I know yes explorers and juniors are young(myself being 17) but I didn't think I'd ever read something about something so damn stupid and wreckless.

Forum Member

Angry

What a winner. I bet there are so proud of this guy.

Grow up Son!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Yeah, real great. I'd be proud too.

Not.

Grow up, or get of the public safety services.

Forum Member

Everyone,

I am truely sorry for this. Not until after I read my post, and thought long and hard about this and read your responses I realized we were wrong. At the time it seemed like a good thing to do but now I realize it wasn't. We all thought it was funny when it really wasn't also. At the time everyone including the police explorers were laughing and now I understamd what you guys said. I thank you for the advice and I hope to use it to learn from my mistake and move on.

Again thank you for posting and making me realize my mistake and I really realize how stupid and childish it was.

None of you guys have posted pranks...Im dissapointed

Me being the oldest Junior on the Department (Just about 18)i have alot of fun with the newer guys...for example switchin there boots around so Left is Right and Right is left in there hurry to catch a truck they shove those things on and they look so ridiculous...sends shivers up my spine just thinkin about it j/k...lol and lets not forget filling there boots with water or shaving cream...but theres always the classics the 5 gallon bucket from on top of the pumper or letting them take a swim in the porta-a-tank....many of these pranks may sound cruel but were all friends in the end so no hard feelings

And for those of you who are gonna say thats immature...dont act like you havent done any of these...and in plus its a good way to keep the older guys on there toes

The only people who are safe from our wrath are white hats
    Rest In Peace
    Anndee Huber-A tragedy which could have been prevented!
    Ban Alcohol in the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Engine1401CFD,

I dont care if it's a junior, or a senior guy on the department, screwing with PPE is a no-no!

Yeah, that IS immature.

Forum Member

Me thinks someone doesn’t quite understand what actually happens at this event.

Just a little clarification on this event. It is an entire day of staged events involving police, fire, ems, and hospital explorers with boy scouts (and the occasional advisor ) as victims. No public safety radios are used and all equipment used is either personal (yes, there are people who drive down to let us use their personal fire trucks), is loaned for the day or is rented. This entire event occurs at the rented fairgrounds. It is closed to the public. The only ones allowed on the site are participants, advisors, news media, and site employees. There is no way this could have been mistaken for a real emergency. All ‘responding’ is done from one end of the site to the other. No public roadways are used.

Spur of the moment events were actually encouraged the previous year to keep the cops buzy.

Permanently Removed

Originally posted by Engine1401CFD
    None of you guys have posted pranks...Im dissapointed

Me being the oldest Junior on the Department (Just about 18)i have alot of fun with the newer guys...for example switchin there boots around so Left is Right and Right is left in there hurry to catch a truck they shove those things on and they look so ridiculous...sends shivers up my spine just thinkin about it j/k...lol and lets not forget filling there boots with water or shaving cream...but theres always the classics the 5 gallon bucket from on top of the pumper or letting them take a swim in the porta-a-tank....many of these pranks may sound cruel but were all friends in the end so no hard feelings

And for those of you who are gonna say thats immature...dont act like you havent done any of these...and in plus its a good way to keep the older guys on there toes

The only people who are safe from our wrath are white hats

Ok now after I read this, I was so annoyed at this. You NEVER EVER, mess with someone else's PPE. If it's funny to see one of your CERTIFIED Firefighters mess up on the call because you did something to cause it, well you should not be in the emergency services,ever. If you keep/kept doing this, when someone get either killed or seriously hurt, then you'll understand that life in the emergency services is HARD, not always easy just do your job and let them do theirs. They don't play with your gear, you don't touch theirs. EVER!

i don't agree with the filling the boots. THats harsh. I had that happen and the Fire chief had just about kicked the person off the department. When you don your gear for a fire and you have some thing in them you are delayed to a fire. and if its cold you can get frost bite. the port a tank is something i can relate to. just last week just as a joke they pushed me into the tank(the chief and other officers did it. i didn't take it too hard but when they went to get me out i pulled them all in and the press got pictures of all of us in the porta tank. we had lots of fun. but the boots thing is just a word to the wise you will **** a guy off faster than you can blink by filling his or hers boots. But we try to have lots of fun. we have water fights in our station and we get everyone wet in the bay. but try to have fun with the program but don't go overboard.

Forum Member

My goodness, everyone has done exactly what I asked. THANKS for the stories guys!!!!! Sorry I don't have any awesome stories to tell you right now but I do know that if I put n my boots and there was shaving cream in them I would be VERY SAD !!!!!! Well, off to training I go!!!

Forum Member

This one is great... i laughed SO hard when this happened!

There is this kid that is new to our explorer post, i go to school with him, and i detasseled with him, and my impression of him isnt very high, and we did a burn in the tower like 2 weeks ago, we had a fire on the second and 3rd floor, the people that have been in burns already went first, and all the new people went in and watched what we did then they were going to go in and do and evolution, well we come out from out first one, we had 2 groups of 3, and like 6 new people, and everyone came out, and we set it all back up for the new people to go through and we were just standing around chilling for a little bit, filling packs, and getting water, and this new kid we will call him "joe" he says " oh man that was awesome, i could see my self doing this everyday for the rest of my life" I look over at him like WTF!!! and the thoughts running trough my head were, OMG you just sat there, you didnt do anything, how u do even know you could do this??????? and so out of my mouth comes " oh what you want to go into burning building and sit there with full gear on watching other people put out the fire for the rest of your life?" umm...needless to say, he didnt have too much to say back to that! and even both of our instructors looked at him when he said that! But what ****ed me off was the kid had never been in one of the buildings before, ok i take that back, he did watch the fire behavior thing our instructor did a while back like on spring break, and he went in there and sat there and watched and said he could do that for the rest of his life!!! oh well, life goes on. No offense but hopefully he quits...thats really mean i know but if u knew "joe" like i did u would say the same thing!
    Kat

Forum Member

I've never been in a burn building either, but I KNOW that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. The most I've done is put out a large car fire. The job isn't all about goin in and putting the wet stuff on the red stuff.
    That's my perspective.

P.S. It is good though, to pull harmless pranks on probies.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 04-24-2006 at 04:39 PM.

Forum Member

hmmmmmmmm interesting ............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

ExplorerFFchik8...You should really look into that most unappreciated and underutilzed punctuation mark, the period (it's that little dot-looking thingy in the lower right-hand corner of your keyboard). Other than being used to separate the .com in URL addresses, it can also be used to indicate where one sentence ends and another begins....quite useful!

Oh, and lay off the caffeine......

On a totally separate note, don't you think you're being a little harsh on "Joe"? You were new at this at one time, probably were really amazed the first fire you got to go in (oh, wait a minute, you're STILL new....don't forget that). Why are you so eager for him to quit? So the guy's really impressed by his first experience (you probably were, too, that's why you decided to keep coming back!) Instead of trashing him why don't you try to bring him on board and share with him some of your vast firefighting knowledge? He just might make an excellent Explorer if you give him a chance. Even if your "impression of him isn't very high".....someone gave you a chance when you first started, didn't they?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Permanently Removed

Originally posted by dmleblanc
    ExplorerFFchik8...You should really look into that most unappreciated and underutilzed punctuation mark, the period (it's that little dot-looking thingy in the lower right-hand corner of your keyboard). Other than being used to separate the .com in URL addresses, it can also be used to indicate where one sentence ends and another begins....quite useful!

Oh, and lay off the caffeine......

On a totally separate note, don't you think you're being a little harsh on "Joe"? You were new at this at one time, probably were really amazed the first fire you got to go in (oh, wait a minute, you're STILL new....don't forget that). Why are you so eager for him to quit? So the guy's really impressed by his first experience (you probably were, too, that's why you decided to keep coming back!) Instead of trashing him why don't you try to bring him on board and share with him some of your vast firefighting knowledge? He just might make an excellent Explorer if you give him a chance. Even if your "impression of him isn't very high".....someone gave you a chance when you first started, didn't they?

I agree, don't bash him because he's new, you were once also so let him learn, don't bash him about it or else he won't come back unless your doing this to get rid of him because you think he may do better but it's all about TEAMWORK, use it, it WILL save your life one day, it has mine.

Be Safe
    Keith
    Engineer
    Jr.Firefighter

Thread Information